Retiring Soon - open speculation

i guess new box matters - none of the sets that received new boxes (T1, TB, PC, Minicooper) seem to be headed out.

SOH and PS which had no box remake are on their way.

how are the people who loaded up on $180 TB's at Walmart a couple of summers ago feeling now?  Have we made it to depressed acceptance or are you still stuck at the bargaining phase?

• Like 3

T1 is in ample supply in shops but I am not seeing so many Minis or TB´s now. I´d pull Mini now and leave T1 and TB for another year as they go with BB and Beetle. If sales start to drop of then EOL them.

I will say that Ninjago temple will probably stay around now for the new movie but I do think there will be at least 1 totallly surprise retirement, maybe even 2 or 3.

1 hour ago, Ciglione said:

Lego has launched so many large exclusive sets in the last years. People have to choose which sets to buy. Most cannot afford all. 

Fixed it for you. The watering down of UCS, remakes  and ready availablility of ten or more 3k piece sets means most AFOLS can get their fix straight from Lego and ony the completists need to get more older stuff.

Go back 4 years and people were saying TH was too big and expensive. Look at how it compares to 10255 now which people find underwhelming!

I would think people would be a little more excited with these sets retiring soon..
10218 Pet Shop
75059 Sandcrawler
10234 Sydney Opera House
10236 Ewok Village
21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1
21302 The Big Bang Theory
21303 WALL-E
21304 Doctor Who
This is prime retiring time. I don't see any funny business with these.

Do you think will they all go EOL in the next two months?

2 hours ago, cladner said:

how are the people who loaded up on $180 TB's at Walmart a couple of summers ago feeling now?  Have we made it to depressed acceptance or are you still stuck at the bargaining phase?

I unloaded my a few months ago.  Got out at cost, so I'm able to at least reinvest it elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauro23 said:

When three of them are already backordered...?

It looks like four of them are not available/backordered. At least I got an e-mail telling me that the WALL-E I ordered is currently out of stock and that therefore shipping will be delayed although LEGO Shop at Home lists it as available. I guess it could be another glitch.

Conjecture, but I would say TLG production schedule is set in stone at least 30 days ahead - that´s why ship in 30 days exists. They probably saw these sets had too much stock in warehouse and wanted to shift them before the next deliveries came. Just in the case of PS, demand has been huge and they got caught out. I wouldn´t be surprised to see it C2C soon as new orders fill up the next and final run.

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Conjecture, but I would say TLG production schedule is set in stone at least 30 days ahead - that´s why ship in 30 days exists. They probably saw these sets had too much stock in warehouse and wanted to shift them before the next deliveries came. Just in the case of PS, demand has been huge and they got caught out. I wouldn´t be surprised to see it C2C soon as new orders fill up the next and final run.

Sorry for the OT but is C2C literally a call 2 check and the operator manually checks the stock levels (or something similar).  Or is it more of a "we'll put your name on a waiting list for anyone who cancels".  At the point something goes C2C is it pretty much a craps shoot on if you're getting one or not?  

Just interested in how it works (especially retirements).

The real answer is that 30 days is the max confirmed window in system. Really it will restock before then as they build in a safety margin. In this case we can expect more PS in 2-3 weeks time.

C2C means they have no production confirmed further than 30 days. It could be EOL or they could wind up the machines again.

Sold out in theory means they are not making more (only hope is returns of inventory).

Retired in theory means all warehouses are dry and the return period has ended so no more will be made - except for Seasonal stuff.

TooS is the one that stumps me.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cladner said:

i guess new box matters - none of the sets that received new boxes (T1, TB, PC, Minicooper) seem to be headed out.

SOH and PS which had no box remake are on their way.

I am pretty sure they were $150. 

• Like 1

The Dr Who set does have one massive upside I've just discovered.  Dr Who is banned in China, which means no copies from our favourite counterfeiters.

On the contrary, it's not banned at all in China. Even a dedicated fan forum has 70000 subscribers. However it is nowhere as popular as other main stream SW sets

11 hours ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

Sorry for the OT but is C2C literally a call 2 check and the operator manually checks the stock levels (or something similar).  Or is it more of a "we'll put your name on a waiting list for anyone who cancels".  At the point something goes C2C is it pretty much a craps shoot on if you're getting one or not?  

Just interested in how it works (especially retirements).

11 hours ago, Val-E said:

C2C means they have no production confirmed further than 30 days. It could be EOL or they could wind up the machines again.

I was always under the impression that C2C normally appears near EOL and means something like:

"We don't have plans for any further production runs, and we have to handle orders including this item manually as our computer system that's supposed to manage incoming orders automatically isn't working properly when inventory levels are too low."

• Like 2

Just a thought:
I counted that the new 10255 has a 48-stud width. The 10218 has 2x16 studs width. So, if you want to have a symmetrical block/street you will either have two 10255 sets or you need a 16-stud half of 10218 to fill the gap since there are no other modular sets which may close the 16-stud width gap in the street. I think that this is one of the big bonuses of the 10218 retirement. What do you guys think about that?

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Infiltrator said:

Just a thought:
I counted that the new 10255 has a 48-stud width. The 10218 has 2x16 studs width. So, if you want to have a symmetrical block/street you will either have two 10255 sets or you need a 16-stud half of 10218 to fill the gap since there are no other modular sets which may close the 16-stud width gap in the street. I think that this is one of the big bonuses of the 10218 retirement. What do you guys think about that?

I agree. Or you have to find a 16 stud baseplate somewhere and use it as an alley. Which is also possible. But to cut PS in half is the best option. So you need at least two PS's.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Me too but we are going to look like idiots when all these Noob investors scoop up the last stock with 2xvip and calendar and turn a better CAGR! If I see them for 120 or less direct discount I could bite.

Sure... it is a cute set. And you can integrate multiples in your City layout.

But I guess you are the only one who can still find them in the wild? And even at a discount? I could find some in Italy but they do not fit in my suitcase.