Retiring Soon - open speculation

16 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I'm not buying this 'retiring soon' tag given to Ideas and Exclusives.

Why didn't R5 get that tag?

Most of the sets have been around for a long time, so I wouldn't completely discount it.

One oddity I've noticed is the Ferris Wheel has been in and out of backorder a couple of times this month.

was also surprised to see the maze on backorder till november too. I didn't think that was a great seller.

Edited by Out of the Dark Years
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I'm not buying this 'retiring soon' tag given to Ideas and Exclusives.

I am pretty sure every set that has got that tag has retired the year it was tagged. They only use it on the sets that they have alot of and are not confident they can move without discounts. It is basically a way to tell resellers what is retiring to coax them into buying at RRP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ED-209 said:

Actually, I think it did. In any case it was sold out in the US 2 months before going here so that was all the warning needed.

Not to be a tool but I said at the time that the set which took longest to retire with the tag would do the worst. So far that has been true with Tumbler. DS went first and would have been the best performer on an interannual basis if 75159 had not clipped its wings.

ISD is doing better than all of them despite being an easy to find and heavily discounted set, in part because it went quietly.

Something to bear in mind when comparing how the class of 2016 do.

59 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Not to be a tool but I said at the time that the set which took longest to retire with the tag would do the worst. So far that has been true with Tumbler. DS went first and would have been the best performer on an interannual basis if 75159 had not clipped its wings.

ISD is doing better than all of them despite being an easy to find and heavily discounted set, in part because it went quietly.

Something to bear in mind when comparing how the class of 2016 do.

I agree. That's what I've been trying to say.

I find the 'retiring soon' label a red flag, esp after the Exo Suit debacle. It seems like a ploy to rope in as many resellers as possible 

On 17.10.2016 at 8:36 AM, Infiltrator said:

Nice @Orthanc_Residen!
I'm afraid that EV will be extremely hoarded since it's been stocked up the last two years...
I only have three - don't want to compete with the horde. ;)
What do you guys think about ARCHITECTURE? Seems to be a much calmer market battlefield?! :)

Well, as I received it for 100 bugs less than the normal sale price, I have no hurry! :) Just have to sell it before the rebirth takes place... ^^

Architecture I do not collect, sorry! :)

Edited by Orthanc_Residen

I would think people would be a little more excited with these sets retiring soon..

10218 Pet Shop

75059 Sandcrawler

10234 Sydney Opera House

10236 Ewok Village

21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1

21302 The Big Bang Theory

21303 WALL-E

21304 Doctor Who

This is prime retiring time. I don't see any funny business with these.

Guest TabbyBoy
17 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I would think people would be a little more excited with these sets retiring soon..

10218 Pet Shop

75059 Sandcrawler

10234 Sydney Opera House

10236 Ewok Village

21303 WALL-E

21304 Doctor Who

Ed... It just seems like a few of our members have forgotten to take their happy pills. I've invested heavily in 4 of those sets over the last few weeks and I couldn't be more excited! But, I'd be over the moon of the Tower Bridge retired instead of that hideous thing with the highly inaccurate roof!

8 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Ed... It just seems like a few of our members have forgotten to take their happy pills. I've invested heavily in 4 of those sets over the last few weeks and I couldn't be more excited! But, I'd be over the moon of the Tower Bridge retired instead of that hideous thing with the highly inaccurate roof!

I believe it is more that many members have chosen reality over the illusion.

MatrixBluePillRedPill.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

10218 Pet Shop

75059 Sandcrawler

10234 Sydney Opera House

10236 Ewok Village

21303 WALL-E

21304 Doctor Who

You get excited when Town Hall retires. You feel relieved when all the above go. That´s the difference. I doubt anyone hasn´t made their number by now - Wall E being the possible exception and it´s a question of waiting for SOLD OUT and seeing demand on secondary market sites.

Don´t worry, I´ll get excited if any of them bumps 20% RRP by January.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
49 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Just to really mess with your head.  I'm excited that more people aren't excited.

Everybody seems cautious and scared after last year. I'd be more worried if these had gone to sold out within a few days. 

Not at all, my head is securely screwed on ;-)

It's just that so many people are scared to take a calculated risk, I'm not. I'd actually be very pleased if these sets went to sold out as it would tell me that demand is extremely high amongst LEGO fans and I still think that resellers account for a very tiny proportion of total LEGO sales. I'd be surprise if resellers accounted for more than 1% of LEGO sales. Even when talking to people today, hardly anybody has heard of LEGO reselling and those that have, couldn't be bothered. Don't worry, we are a very rare breed!

Edited by TabbyBoy
typo

Some of the Ideas sets have had a relatively short run...which is a plus.  Hell, Doctor Who hasn't even been around a year.  The Sandcrawler will probably never be made again, unless there is a Jawa movie...which I doubt will happen.  The Pet Shop is one of the most popular sets off all time and will still find some love later on.  The SOH is a underappreciated set that will appreciate well once it's gone.  Ewok Village and the Ecto are uber stockpiled, but they are still quality and popular sets.  I think it is good news, but I can understand people being hesitant.  

• Like 6

I only have one Sandcrawler and one Ewok Village as only bought one of each at 20% off. I won't be buying any more without a similar offer and would still have to think about it then. Not interested in SOH and TBBT at all.

I've been slowly stocking up on WALL-E, Ecto-1, Pet Shop and Dr Who over time when I could get them at decent prices and put in more orders on those a couple of days ago. I may bite on some more depending on if they sell out and if any go on offers too good to refuse. Ecto would probably be sold out most places by now if you could get it for £30 without too much effort.

Got a decent amount but still keeping to my budget. Had to hold back on a few things over the last few months as I listened to the good advice to wait until retirement season and see what gets tagged before blowing too much money on things that will just be hanging around. I was fortunate that several of the things I'd already been buying made it into this years retirement show.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Not at all, my head is securely screwed on ;-)

It's just that so many people are scared to take a calculated risk, I'm not. I'd actually be very pleased if these sets went to sold out as it would tell me that demand is extremely high amongst LEGO fans and I still think that resellers account for a very tiny proportion of total LEGO sales. I'd be surprise if reseller accounted for more than 1% of LEGO sales. Even when talking to people today, hardle anybody has heard of LEGO reselling and those that have, couldn't be bothered. Don't worry, we are a very rare breed!

These people who never heared about lego reselling are not into lego anyways. So they are not our customer base. 

Lego has launched too many sets the last years. People have tot choose which sets to buy. Most cannot afford all. 

I am afraid we are all aiming our canons on the rich kids and their parents. As we all know the middle class is slowly extincting. 

Give me one reason why any lego enthausiast would not buy an extra copy of every set to hopefully gain back the 1st copy after some time?