Retiring Soon - open speculation

"retiring soon": It's a trap!

Makes me suspicious. Is it normal behaviour for TLG to slap so many of these labels on sets at once?

And what about JW?  That theme is showing signs of EOL in EU/AU but no 'retiring soon' tag.

Edited by ED-209

17 minutes ago, Chen_ah_siao said:

LEGO 10188 "Retiring Soon" Tag

I am still haunted by it.... Please invest wisely guys.

I remember seeing it in Smyths for 20% off and thought I'd leave it for another month or two because I bought The Tumbler and Slave 1.  Now I'm having to spend £400 (75159) on a set that I basically could have had for £220. 

2 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

Makes me suspicious. Is it normal behaviour for TLG to slap so many of these labels on sets at once?

And what about JW?  That theme is showing signs of EOL in EU/AU but no 'retiring soon' tag.

I honestly think they only put the tag on exclusive/hard to find items and ideas sets.  I'm basing that on what happened last year - i think the tag was only restricted to Tumbler, DS & r5.  The usual widely available retail stuff (SW, City, SH) just gets tagged retired once done.

Could be mistaken mind and fallen into said trap :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

i dont think so , last year tumbler also get a retiring soon in early DEC and it actually retired in late DEC

8 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

Yep. Indominus went available- backorder- available- sold out. No "rush and buy me" tag. 

I think LEGO are playing everyone with this tag. I say don't fall for it.

On 7/10/2016 at 11:34 PM, Val-E said:

The first large exclusive retirements are not far away now - maybe we will even see some in European 2xVIP or by BF.

Reviewing my list of candidates with latest info, I am going with:

PS, SOH, SC, EV, FM, SW and WTS (easy picks), SH, KWEM as sure fire EOL´s and SHIELD and Mini as  50/50 gambles. Airjitzu would be my joker.

Not this years for T1, PC and TB.

How´s my driving?

• Like 5

those have all been widely "picked" and stashed over the years.  the only set that is mentioned that stands a chance of being underhoarded is SOH because of the price and size and ugliness (I've built one).  I snagged some for $250 from walmart a few weeks ago and will probably buy another one with double vip this weekend.  expecting a lot of AFOL to have not gotten around to getting one of these and maybe a decent post EOL bump along the lines of Sea Cow if supply dries up quickly.

i didn't see wall-e get mentioned on anyone's retirement prediction.

Pet shop and SOH were retiring soon 2 weeks ago on the Korean website.  I guess that meant something.

these broadcast EOLs do nothing more than sound the alert to those who's investment strategy revolves around buying at the last minute and selling into the post EOL bump for a little bit of dough and that trade is getting more and more crowded.  obviously this has gotten out to the big resellers - when was the last time we F5' a set that was going EOL and out of stock on amazon, or TRU or anywhere.

choose wisely.

the most important retirements are the ones that happen without any fanfare.  those have yet to come.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 5

I agree with everything expect the last line. PS for me is THE big retirement as its performance will give a huge indicator of how the super hoarded sub 200 euro/usd sets are doing at this time. It´s been a while since a set from that price bracket retired.

• Like 3

I think The Tumbler and the anticipation of EV or SC retiring on May 4th will have burned quite a few new investors. Usually the first mistake made is seeing sold fees on ebay and not taking into account fees & p&p when calculating the profit.  They just saw Tumbler 160 fetching 220 on ebay. Easy £60. Not long after that and certainly after May 4th there were a lot of the three mentioned sets being sold at cost on free ads sites.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

Guest TabbyBoy

Yes, the PS will be the most significant retirement since the GE where the last one sold for £260 which is about £47 profit after fees/postage/box/tax (assuming 40% income tax). It's not that big a return TBH for a large box taking up long term space. I'm holding my Pet Shops until they reach £275 which will probably be in 2-3 years.

Edited by TabbyBoy

5 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think The Tumbler and the anticipation of EV or SC retiring on May 4th will have burned quite a few new investors. Usually the first mistake made is seeing sold fees on ebay and not taking into account fees & p&p when calculating the profit.  They just saw Tumbler 160 fetching 220 on ebay. Easy £60. Not long after that and certainly after May 4th there were a lot of the three mentioned sets being sold at cost.

Ok this is truly sad (so sue me) but all through may 4th and the double VIP before hand i kept a record of the top 25 selling sets on SAH UK.... fancy a guess which during the may the 4th promo were constantly top 3....? :)

Basically you hit the nail on the head!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think The Tumbler and the anticipation of EV or SC retiring on May 4th will have burned quite a few new investors. Usually the first mistake made is seeing sold fees on ebay and not taking into account fees & p&p when calculating the profit.  They just saw Tumbler 160 fetching 220 on ebay. Easy £60. Not long after that and certainly after May 4th there were a lot of the three mentioned sets being sold at cost on free ads sites.

I want to second this. Had a Ghost + Phantom bundle up for sale for $200. First big set I was trying to sell and it sold. Don't get me wrong, I made a nice return on my "savings account", way better than the 0.01% my bank gives me. But EBay took $20, Paypal took $6, I thought I got a good deal on shipping at $14 but am now facing an additional $14 through the EBay shipping tool scam (dimensional weight applied by FedEx instead of the quoted rate), so add up all those numbers (I have a large stash of boxes to reuse so no cost there) and you see that just in fees I paid close to $55, making the actual revenue $145 instead of $200. Quite a big difference IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I want to second this. Had a Ghost + Phantom bundle up for sale for $200. First big set I was trying to sell and it sold. Don't get me wrong, I made a nice return on my "savings account", way better than the 0.01% my bank gives me. But EBay took $20, Paypal took $6, I thought I got a good deal on shipping at $14 but am now facing an additional $14 through the EBay shipping tool scam (dimensional weight applied by FedEx instead of the quoted rate), so add up all those numbers (I have a large stash of boxes to reuse so no cost there) and you see that just in fees I paid close to $55, making the actual revenue $145 instead of $200. Quite a big difference IMHO.

I'm moving away from ebay as much as possible. Bricklink is a better alternative in my opinion. Less hassle and the fees are only 3%. Of course if the buyer wants to pay with paypal it's more, but you can account for that in your store terms and ad an additional fee if they choose to pay with paypal. Paypal + ebay / amazon are way too greedy. 15% fee is a joke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

I'm moving away from ebay as much as possible. Bricklink is a better alternative in my opinion. Less hassle and the fees are only 3%. Of course if the buyer wants to pay with paypal it's more, but you can account for that in your store terms and ad an additional fee if they choose to pay with paypal. Paypal + ebay / amazon are way too greedy. 15% fee is a joke.

Just remember: Amazon = Everyone; EBay = Deal Hunters; BrickLink = Collectors only. There's orders of magnitude between them in terms of eyes. Sure, if you have desirable sets that you know Collectors will want, by all means eliminate fees and list on BrickLink or even better, over here on BrickClassifieds (0% fees).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

Just a word of caution to US sellers: You are not allowed to add a paypal fee. In other countries it is OK, but In USA, doing so means you just violated Paypal's TOS.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Just remember: Amazon = Everyone; EBay = Deal Hunters; BrickLink = Collectors only. There's orders of magnitude between them in terms of eyes. Sure, if you have desirable sets that you know Collectors will want, by all means eliminate fees and list on BrickLink or even better, over here on BrickClassifieds (0% fees).

Yeah, that's the only downside.

You get less views, but then again there's the whole ebay search indexing scam that you have to take into account if you list popular items. I noticed that BS when I listed some non-lego stuff recently.

Plus bricklink has wanted lists, so if you send out notifications at a decent price you have a high chance that people will check out your listing and other items in your store.

4 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Just a word of caution to US sellers: You are not allowed to add a paypal fee. In other countries it is OK, but In USA, doing so means you just violated Paypal's TOS.

Hmm I did not know that. I specifically read the TOS and the Belgian version lists this:

4.4 Non discouragement. In representations to your customers or in public communications, you agree not to mischaracterise or disparage PayPal as a payment method. You agree that you will only surcharge for the use of PayPal in compliance with any law applicable to you. You further agree that if you do charge a buyer any form of surcharge that you, and not PayPal, will inform the buyer of the requested charge. PayPal has no liability to any buyer where you have failed to inform the buyer of any surcharge. Failure to comply with the above provisions shall constitute a breach of this Agreement and shall entitle PayPal to terminate this Agreement pursuant to section 10.3.

I wonder what's holding them back to do the same over here. Probably there's some EU law preventing them from forbidding surcharges.

Edited by c_rpg
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:22 PM, glucapg said:

Just an opinion: Technic 42043 Mercedes...do you think will last 1,5/2 years like many other technic sets or 3,5 years like other Mercedes 8110 Unimog? There are many discounts on this set but I don't want to buy it too early....Thanks

Is there anything to be said for Amazon marking this item as "Discontinued from Manufacturer"? It's only been out a year.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, SageFly said:

Is there anything to be said for Amazon marking this item as "Discontinued from Manufacturer"? It's only been out a year.

If only LEGO's elite know what being discontinued, I'd be surprised if anyone at Amazon knew. I just hope this other Merc brings in some profit for you guys unlike the Unimog. The only Technic set I have now is the Claas Xerion as they were on offer recently.

7 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

If only LEGO's elite know what being discontinued, I'd be surprised if anyone at Amazon knew. I just hope this other Merc brings in some profit for you guys unlike the Unimog. The only Technic set I have now is the Claas Xerion as they were on offer recently.

Could it just be possible that the buyers for Amazon find out that certain items are no longer available in the wholesale catalog?

The sets which some said "erroneously" had "discontinued" messages earlier this year have all turned up on the "retiring soon" list in the UK (I can only imagine they will follow suit in the US). 

Edited by biking_tiger