Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Bobofischer said:

Dr. Who is marked "retiring soon" at SoH Germany. 

It is in most of EU I think and my fingers are tightly crossed! I've gone in big on this set.

8 minutes ago, landphieran said:

I'm always impressed with your willingness to go big and your grace/resolve regardless how it turns out.

There should be a poll with each new set on how many you have:

1 - None

2 - 1 to 9

3 - More than 10

4 - Emazers level

5 - Filled a 20 foot container TabbyBoy  level 

Guest TabbyBoy

Dr Who is not exclusive in the UK and regularly available at £35 (-30%) at most other retailers instead of the £49.99 RRP. When there's good offers at these retailers (eg. Asda), it's often half price or less with no restriction on the amount you can buy. With the "Retiring Soon" tag, I feel good mojo in this set. Even now people are making money by parting it out.

1 hour ago, Bobofischer said:

Is dr. Who an exclusive in the U.K. As well or can you get it with discounts? In Germany i have only seen it at Lego. 

I have not seen any Ideas set in Toy-Chains in The Netherlands since 2015. They may not have been in toy stores either before 2015, but since I was still in my AFOL-Dark Ages before 2015, I wasn't paying attention back then. :) 

The only way to get certain Ideas sets cheaper than RRP is by getting them through Amazon UK/DE/IT/FR (whenever and wherever they may sometimes appear at a discount).

Guest TabbyBoy
16 hours ago, bricklues said:

Just realized 21006 White House is back order on UK LEGO Shop at Home.

Yes, I noticed too. Isn't it about time this thing bit the dust? I have high hopes for this when it does!

5 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Yes, I noticed too. Isn't it about time this thing bit the dust? I have high hopes for this when it does!

Yeah, from this set and the holy trinity of exclusives  (TB, T1 and PS), at least 2 should be gone this year - been hoping that since 2012 and been wrong every time, though.

Add a cheap pick-a-brick item and it qualifies for the London Bus + VIP promo stack.

• Like 1

On Monday, October 03, 2016 at 10:17 PM, cladner said:

minecraft skin pack 1 call to check OOS in europe.  still have not seen any retailers outside of shop at home with these in us.  anyone spot these at a merlin legoland store?

Changed from call to check to back ordered till October 17th.

On October 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM, cladner said:

minecraft skin pack 1 call to check OOS in europe.  still have not seen any retailers outside of shop at home with these in us.  anyone spot these at a merlin legoland store?

They had both skins at LEGOLAND CA a couple weeks ago. Not sure what the status is at this point. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

It wouldn't surprise me if LEGO go an entire year without retiring anything at all. They have the production and storage capacity so why not? Some of the large format printer/cutters can make and print a batch of boxes of any size/design in minutes. I know somebody in signage who does just that.

Can you imagine the carnage if nothing retired in 2017?

2 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

They will start to cannibalize themselves with that strategy though. There is only so much retail shelf space and warehouse space to go around. With so many new sets something has to give each year.

Shhhh... there are some here who choose not to believe in "retail cannibalism." Don't frighten them. 

7 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

It wouldn't surprise me if LEGO go an entire year without retiring anything at all. They have the production and storage capacity so why not? Some of the large format printer/cutters can make and print a batch of boxes of any size/design in minutes. I know somebody in signage who does just that.

Can you imagine the carnage if nothing retired in 2017?

Not going to happen. That will just allow buyers to delay their decision if they know that everything lasts forever in the cold November rain. Destroying the secondary market and devaluing the primary one are 2 methods of business suicide that, if they do, they will lose the premium status thy have built up and just be another Megablocks or Lepin.

• Like 1

Once again I have to mention that we are in the middle of the biggest SW hype since years. There's still 5 more movies to come. You can be sure that they have sold a ton more SW sets than in the past few years. I think they are definitely keeping more Star Wars sets in production than usual and they will try to keep it that way for as long as they can. I really think you cannot apply the old retirement patterns in this case.

Whether or not this is a good idea is another question entirely. Retail cannibalism is already happening. How many TIE's are there available again? Want another copy of that X-Wing in a different color?

The fact that they are keeping sets like the Flash Speeder and the Imperial Assault Carrier in production is mind boggling to me as well.

I think some sets will retire at the end of the year, but it won't be nearly as much as people expect. I wouldn't be surprised if no UCS sets retire at all.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

Once again I have to mention that we are in the middle of the biggest SW hype since years. There's still 5 more movies to come. You can be sure that they have sold a ton more SW sets than in the past few years. I think they are definitely keeping more Star Wars sets in production than usual and they will try to keep it that way for as long as they can. I really think you cannot apply the old retirement patterns in this case.

Whether or not this is a good idea is another question entirely. Retail cannibalism is already happening. How many TIE's are there available again? Want another copy of that X-Wing in a different color?

The fact that they are keeping sets like the Flash Speeder and the Imperial Assault Carrier in production is mind boggling to me as well.

I think some sets will retire at the end of the year, but it won't be nearly as much as people expect. I wouldn't be surprised if no UCS sets retire at all.

Flash Speeder and IAC were only released in June 2015 so retirement by year end would be the normal 18 Month cycle.

I still think all stormtrooper logo'd sets and wave 1 TFA disappear at year end.  Excluding MF.

As The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy says Don't Panic!!!

• Like 1