Retiring Soon - open speculation

10 hours ago, Infiltrator said:

I regret that I have bought 4 collections of the first wave of Speed Champions (20% of EU/AT-RRP) Now it blocks my shelf space and seems to me that it won't bring any returns in near future. :( 

Near future possibly not but wave 1 sets of a series that continue for a few years usually does well longer term when people start collecting but missed the early sets. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Near future possibly not but wave 1 sets of a series that continue for a few years usually does well longer term when people start collecting but missed the early sets. 

Yeah, you're right. Therefore I got these sets. However, they are quite unpractical since the boxes are quite big and need much shelf space in my two closets. I'm running out of space. 4 small Speed Champions sets need almost the same shelf space like a 10254 Holiday Train.

Got two complete Star Wars Microfighters Series and got rid of it with some profit. Only series 1 was in demand. Hope this will be the same with Speed Champions?!

1 hour ago, Infiltrator said:

Yeah, you're right. Therefore I got these sets. However, they are quite unpractical since the boxes are quite big and need much shelf space in my two closets. I'm running out of space. 4 small Speed Champions sets need almost the same shelf space like a 10254 Holiday Train.

Got two complete Star Wars Microfighters Series and got rid of it with some profit. Only series 1 was in demand. Hope this will be the same with Speed Champions?!

Series 2 of these hasn't been retired yet, but I am pretty confident in these.

Guest TabbyBoy
12 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Series 2 of these hasn't been retired yet, but I am pretty confident in these.

The Mustang & Audis have alreasy started picking up on eBay and some selling for well over RRP. Again, Asda/Tesco helped me getting a lot at around -50%

3 hours ago, Infiltrator said:

You are right. Fortunately I missed this trap. Hope my stash of Slaves and Sandcrawlers won't be a big disappointment?!

Can you wait 4 - 6 years for prices to rise above disappointing levels while every other LEGO investor is clearing out there stockpiles of Slave 1's, Sandcrawlers and Ewok Villages?

If you think everyone else (especially the avalanche of new investors/speculators) hasn't gone heavy on these particular sets also you are certainly in for disappointment.  We can see from recent UCS retirements - Red 5 / R2D2 - that everyone chasing the UCS 'sure thing' has ensured that surety has become unsure.

The exception is SSD. That can be attributed to not as many people finacially able and brave enough to go deep on such a pricey and space-taking-up set. But the €200 sets are at the most enticing price point to deceive the plucky investor/speculator.One assumes that they are expensive enough so they won't be majorly hoarded, while being affordable enough to take a punt on themselves. Also boxes aren't as massive as €400 sets,

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Anomander said:

If you think everyone else (especially the avalanche of new investors/speculators) hasn't gone heavy on these particular sets also you are certainly in for disappointment.

Is it poll time?  Can someone do a "How many of <UCS Tie, Slave-I, SC, EV> do you have" so we can all have something to talk about.  DD has been slow and I'm ignoring all people and threads who talk about knock-offs... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Is it poll time?  Can someone do a "How many of <UCS Tie, Slave-I, SC, EV> do you have" so we can all have something to talk about.  DD has been slow and I'm ignoring all people and threads who talk about knock-offs... 

I'll start 0,4,0,1

1 hour ago, Sfcommando14 said:

2 / 4 / 3 / 3 / 1x 10215 / 4x 76023 Tumbler - that's my UCS collection.

Edited by Infiltrator

2 hours ago, Anomander said:

Can you wait 4 - 6 years for prices to rise above disappointing levels while every other LEGO investor is clearing out there stockpiles of Slave 1's, Sandcrawlers and Ewok Villages?

If you think everyone else (especially the avalanche of new investors/speculators) hasn't gone heavy on these particular sets also you are certainly in for disappointment.  We can see from recent UCS retirements - Red 5 / R2D2 - that everyone chasing the UCS 'sure thing' has ensured that surety has become unsure.

The exception is SSD. That can be attributed to not as many people finacially able and brave enough to go deep on such a pricey and space-taking-up set. But the €200 sets are at the most enticing price point to deceive the plucky investor/speculator.One assumes that they are expensive enough so they won't be majorly hoarded, while being affordable enough to take a punt on themselves. Also boxes aren't as massive as €400 sets,

You are right. I'm also relative new in Lego investing, but I think I have spread my risk on several themes and sets. My biggest worries are not the UCS sets, but the 21 modulars that I posses. I bought 1x TH and 2x HHs for premium after retirement. At least you are not losing money on the UCS sets. If you need cash, you may be able to sold it for MSRP and got at least your money back.
My deepest investments are 18x 75040 / 18x 75038 / 17x 76039.
All others are max. 2-5 of each set.