Retiring Soon - open speculation

32 minutes ago, feed said:

CAGR should be RRP to sale price as everyone buy in price and costs / taxes are different.

CAGR is just a number that basically tells you: if you put 'X' amount of money on account with a fixed interest rate of 'CAGR' for 'Y' years, you get 'Z' amount of profit. So if you include taxes and costs you are just estimating how good this single investment was for you personally.

I agree you have to use RRP to sale price if you are going to compare stuff, but my point was that even if you include all the costs like TabbyBoy said, you are still left with a pretty good investment.

19 hours ago, c_rpg said:

Wait so you get 230£ on average? If brickset is correct, MSRP for Grand Emporium is 133£. That's about 100£ profit. Let's say you pay 15% fees which leaves you 85£. A 5£ box leaves 80£. 20% income tax leaves you about 64£. I don't see how you are getting to the 30£ number.

133£ to 197£ in an average of 5 years leaves you with a CAGR of 8.17%. Still sounds pretty awesome to me.

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic?

My overall experience with bricklink has been very positive.

Approx 15% fees for eBay and PayPal are on the total sale price inc postage,  not just the profit element 

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

Fees are also closer to 13% which is also a fair bit lower. ;)

Yeah I guess that's true :) I don't sell a lot on ebay anymore. Bricklink seems like a much better option to me personally. There's fees as well, but they are not nearly as high. Flipside is you don't get as much customers and the asking prices are lower. I do think something like Grand Emporium sells well pretty much anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haay said:

Interesting. Just noticed this Kit in the LEGO Shop at Home. It's basically a €40 discount on the Final Duel set which retails at RRP for €90.

Looks like LEGO wants to get rid of too much stock of the Final Duel set. Retiring of that set by end of the year?

(picture)

What a lame combo. Why would you want a bunch of duplicate Palpatine, Luke and Vader minifigures. There's basically already a mini version of final duel in the death star.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I agree..  It would have made more sense to offer a battle pack similar to something like the Death Star Troopers.  Or had an exclusive minifigure box that contained 4 army builder sets. 

Ahh lego... they truly made some really dumb moves this year.  This is definitely at the top of the list.

If LEGO wanted to impress me, I'd like a midi-scale SSD. THAT would be a great combo pack.

Image result for lego midi scale ssd

It's too bad the DS and SSD were so far different in size. To come close to scale, the SSD would be barely a polybag.

Speaking of DS and SSD... Cue this video.... can't wait to see a remake with 75159.

PS I wonder if those 200 pieces fixed those structural problems?

• Like 4

It says on Galeria "only for a little time longer..."

same message for Big Bang Theory

image.png

My Lego store told me a year and a half ago, Pet Shop was retiring soon. Clearly, we have different ideas what "soon" means exactly. So, I wish I knew what "only for a little time longer" meant.

1 hour ago, dcdfan said:

My Lego store told me a year and a half ago, Pet Shop was retiring soon. Clearly, we have different ideas what "soon" means exactly. So, I wish I knew what "only for a little time longer" meant. emoji848.png

I think EV will be gone by january for sure.  Once it goes Sold Out on lego.com, the horde will bumrush the other sites and deplete it in hours.  

It will be gone soon, I do think.  There's too much out there right now, and something needs to go.

I posted a list of sets that were going to be restocked a while ago. A little update on that:

Restocked:

• Sydney Opera House
  • Mini
  • T1 Camper
  • Tower Bridge
  • Detective's Office
  • Slave 1
  • UCS TIE
  • Kwik-E-Mart (no joke)

7 hours ago, fossilrock said:

There's too much out there right now, and something needs to go.

I hope you're right, but we have been saying this for a while now.

People thought Sydney Opera House was a goner once Big Ben got released, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon. The same thing with the release of the VW Beetle, both the Mini and the T1 are still here.

Edited by c_rpg

3 hours ago, c_rpg said:

I posted a list of sets that were going to be restocked a while ago. A little update on that:

Restocked:

• Sydney Opera House
  • Mini
  • T1 Camper
  • Tower Bridge
  • Detective's Office
  • Slave 1
  • UCS TIE
  • Kwik-E-Mart (no joke)

I hope you're right, but we have been saying this for a while now.

People thought Sydney Opera House was a goner once Big Ben got released, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon. The same thing with the release of the VW Beetle, both the Mini and the T1 are still here.

if 7 to 8 exclusives don't retire this year, i'd be very surprised.  We are two weeks away from the month long October 2xVIP event, and that is truly when the fun will begin.  We will see many sets drop out during that time.  

Friday (9/16) purchased the below from Lego Store, both with 16R6 seals:
- 10246 DO: 500 points for damaged box (tiny puncture hole on an edge) from the back; 5 out front w/ same seal.
- 10234 SOH: 20% off w/ Friends individual paper coupon (valid 9/16-9/18).

Of note: 5 Pet Shop back on shelves - employee said just came in (didn't look at seals - sorry, was in a rush).
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

if 7 to 8 exclusives don't retire this year, i'd be very surprised.  We are two weeks away from the month long October 2xVIP event, and that is truly when the fun will begin.  We will see many sets drop out during that time.  

What if no exclusives retire this year?  What if TLG is going to build up its exclusive catalog and do smaller production runs as needed?

Counting on TLG to never change course is a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, asharerin said:

What if no exclusives retire this year?  What if TLG is going to build up its exclusive catalog and do smaller production runs as needed?

Counting on TLG to never change course is a recipe for disaster. 

Sure... Lego is drilling a new market... China. Alot of demand right there. That is why they started resurrecting old sets as well. 

My conspiracy theory is that Lego even tolerates Lepin in exchange for getting a foot in the chinese market.