Retiring Soon - open speculation

42 minutes ago, asharerin said:

What if no exclusives retire this year?  What if TLG is going to build up its exclusive catalog and do smaller production runs as needed?

Counting on TLG to never change course is a recipe for disaster. 

Well, if that happens, it won't really effect me much, because I don't invest in many exclusives. There's nothing out there that I have much stock of other than 1 set for the personal collection.  

But, the precedence would be set this year, if that happens.  And that would definitely change the game for many.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

I remember the good old days when sets were just that - exclusive! 42056 is a prime example that's sold everywhere. I'm looking forward to the next "Available at LEGO only" set assuming it happens again.

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I remember the good old days when sets were just that - exclusive! 42056 is a prime example that's sold everywhere. I'm looking forward to the next "Available at LEGO only" set assuming it happens again.

Yeah what's happening to 42056 is really sad because it probably had the most potential of all the sets released this year if it had been a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive. I didn't expect this set to be mass produced and available literally everywhere in a matter of months. The way this was marketed and packaged made it seem like it was a very exclusive set. I remember there were even rumors of a limited run with the unique license plate numbers and stuff, but that turned out to be false.

Yeah what's happening to 42056 is really sad because it probably had the most potential of all the sets released this year if it had been a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive. I didn't expect this set to be mass produced and available literally everywhere in a matter of months. The way this was marketed and packaged made it seem like it was a very exclusive set. I remember there were even rumors of a limited run with the unique license plate numbers and stuff, but that turned out to be false.

For those that don't memorize catalog numbers, 42056 is Technic Porsche.
  • Like 5

The following sets are backordered at EU SAH and I think they could all be done by the end of the year.

Shield Helicarrier, 42030 Technic loader, Trevi Fountain, Jokerland, Mystery Mansion (whole line), Indominus Rex (whole line), TBBT, McLaren P1 (whole Speed Champpions S1 line)

• Like 1

The following sets are backordered at EU SAH and I think they could all be done by the end of the year.
Shield Helicarrier, 42030 Technic loader, Trevi Fountain, Jokerland, Mystery Mansion (whole line), Indominus Rex (whole line), TBBT, McLaren P1 (whole Speed Champpions S1 line)

I was always under the impression that EU and UK stock levels were the same? However after checking the SAH website, the Spanish website shows back order for some sets were as they can still be ordered from the UK? Have this always been the case or has it changed since the new website?

That´s a good point. It takes so long for the web to load these days that I haven´t bothered to look at other regional sites, I just assumed they would be the same.

With the old site,  I do remember that, on some occasions, stock info was different between UK and rest of Europe.

• Like 1

That´s a good point. It takes so long for the web to load these days that I haven´t bothered to look at other regional sites, I just assumed they would be the same.
With the old site,  I do remember that, on some occasions, stock info was different between UK and rest of Europe.

Having checked there only seems to be a few discrepancies, trevi still in stock, SD only haunted house back order, JW - Rex, tracker back order and ambush out of stock.

1 hour ago, Manse1001 said:

Having checked there only seems to be a few discrepancies, trevi still in stock, SD only haunted house back order, JW - Rex, tracker back order and ambush out of stock.

And also different for the Dutch Lego LEGO Shop at Home. For Scooby Doo only the Haunted House is on Backorder. Trevi Fountain is also on Backorder. And of the Speed Champions only the McLaren P1 is on Backorder.

Just now, Haay said:

And also different for the Dutch Lego LEGO Shop at Home. For Scooby Doo only the Haunted House is on Backorder. Trevi Fountain is also on Backorder. And of the Speed Champions only the McLaren P1 is on Backorder.

I had a srong feeling the Trevi Fountain was on its way out, so ordered quite a few via a Retail outlet that allowed me to get 8 at once. Good feelings about that one. :)

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Helicarrier is an interesting one.  I just assumed (first mistake) that as it was a bigger set it would be around at least 2 years (so into 2017).  Although if it does go now/soon it basically follows the lifespan of the tumbler.  Difficult to pick this one up in the UK at the moment i think.  Sporadic online availability so the signs are there but also seen that trick before!

Not heard any seal codes for this one recently but maybe SH fans are more into the minifigues and less about the big vehicles this one really targets a small audience.  Maybe the speculation (i think this was mentioned) that its a poor seller comparatively to the other sets is correct and the plug gets pulled.

If Helicarrier does retire, will it be in demand in uk/Europe is the real question. No doubt in North America super hero sets are well liked, but it seems like here people prefer star wars. Also the Helicarrier box is huge so if you do want to invest in it make sure you have ALOT of space, it must be roughly same size as the technic BWE 

I think it´s the standard big box size used in SSD, DS etc.

It´s the first time in a good while that i´ve seen this set on backorder, suggesting they either made huge quantities or it is a slow seller. Now, if they pull a Tumbler on us, there should be quite a big last production run sometime in October.