Retiring Soon - open speculation

​Its fascinated how bad Lego company estimates the demand for new exclusive sets - again and again are such sets TOOS soon after starting their sale. How is it possible? If this happen 10 times, then I would increase the opening production extremly....

​I am seeing Tie Fighter, Ferris Wheel, Slate 1, Thumbler, ToO, Kwiki E mart, Simpsons House, PC all in my local B&M Lego store. Grabbed 2 Red 5 on May 3 from the same store too!

So maybe they diverted majority of their stock to their B&M Lego stores?

​I am seeing Tie Fighter, Ferris Wheel, Slate 1, Thumbler, ToO, Kwiki E mart, Simpsons House, PC all in my local B&M Lego store. Grabbed 2 Red 5 on May 3 from the same store too!

​Where in Canada is this? My B&M store was sold out of 50+ Ferris Wheels first day. No PC in a long time. X-wing rarely. They have Slave 1, ToO, Kwik E Mart and Simpsons house. So I see what you're saying. I guess it's kind of subjective ;)

​Where in Canada is this? My B&M store was sold out of 50+ Ferris Wheels first day. No PC in a long time. X-wing rarely. They have Slave 1, ToO, Kwik E Mart and Simpsons house. So I see what you're saying. I guess it's kind of subjective ;)

​Edmonton

Sounds like a few resellers in Vancouver if they sell out 50+ in a day. I know at least one in Vancouver as I bought a GE from them.

Edited by tacsniper

​I never got this. They did this with the tumbler (stores only, not online) as a way to combat resellers but all it did was create a false bubble and you could qf tumblers over msrp the first 6 months it was available. It actually helps resellers. Most people don't have a Lego store by them.

75058 the MTT is back to "Out of Stock, will ship in 30 days" at LEGO Shop at Home.  Since this was discounted on may the 4th, then made a brief appearance last week, and is now back to out of stock, I think this is nearing retirement.  It would make sense that this would be the first to go from the 2014 Summer Wave. 

75058 the MTT is back to "Out of Stock, will ship in 30 days" at LEGO Shop at Home.  Since this was discounted on may the 4th, then made a brief appearance last week, and is now back to out of stock, I think this is nearing retirement.  It would make sense that this would be the first to go from the 2014 Summer Wave. 

​Has anyone seen any restocks at TRU, or is this going to disappear as quickly as the Arctic Supply Plane?

Serious question?

Mos Eisley!

B-Wing somehow never got popular (seems to be the fate of B-Wings? :-( ) Even though I really like the design (especially the UCS).

Also it comes with some great minifigures!

But comparing it to Mos Eisley the winner is obvious.

Mos Eisley already performed pretty well in the past when it comes to the predecessor set( at least that's what I recall).

The new version doesn't only look better it also it bigger. The minifigures are great and if you put two of them together you get pretty close to a real Cantina ;-)

My bets would be on the cantina!

My usual test is which set can blow up the other.  Winner: B-Wing, hands down.  One proton torpedo later, and the Cantina's history.  So definitely go with the B-Wing.

In general, this test favors Rebel ships, since they're far tougher on an individual basis than their Imperial counterparts.  However, it would have predicted a very strong performance for the SSD, except versus the A-Wing, which of course results in a tie...

It would make sense if we see a retirement or phase out of some star wars sets right now.  While, im a bit shocked the Cantina is one of these sets, it does sort of make sense.  Luckily I snatched a few of these during the May the 4th promo when they were at 45.00.  Looking at this realistically, i'd say the Droid Gunship, Grievous Wheelbike, AT-AP, DST, KT, UT, Cantina, B-Wing, and MTT are on their way out.  Rebel show sets like the Ghost and Phantom are probably on their way too, because they are being discounted right now.  There are 5 new SW sets coming out right now..  Then we have 14(?) I believe in September, so it wouldn't shock me to see the Cantina go.  If you are going to invest in any of those sets I just listed, now is the time to do it while they are all being discounted (and they are if you check the sites).

As for what are the best investments?  By far the Cantina is number one on this list (not even close actually), followed by the MTT and DST, in my opinion.  I think Death Star Trooper will fair well over time.  The b-wing is not even on my list, because it has a proven record of investment failure, and there was data on here showing how slow it is of a seller from lego.com data out of Europe.

Edited by fossilrock

It would make sense if we see a retirement or phase out of some star wars sets right now.  While, im a bit shocked the Cantina is one of these sets, it does sort of make sense.  Luckily I snatched a few of these during the May the 4th promo when they were at 45.00.  Looking at this realistically, i'd say the Droid Gunship, Grievous Wheelbike, AT-AP, DST, KT, UT, Cantina, B-Wing, and MTT are on their way out.  Rebel show sets like the Ghost and Phantom are probably on their way too, because they are being discounted right now.  There are 5 new SW sets coming out right now..  Then we have 14(?) I believe in September, so it wouldn't shock me to see the Cantina go.  If you are going to invest in any of those sets I just listed, now is the time to do it while they are all being discounted (and they are if you check the sites).

As for what are the best investments?  By far the Cantina is number one on this list (not even close actually), followed by the MTT and DST, in my opinion.  I think Death Star Trooper will fair well over time.  The b-wing is not even on my list, because it has a proven record of investment failure, and there was data on here showing how slow it is of a seller from lego.com data out of Europe.

​Here's some info that may or may not be useful.  I've been offloading extra and damaged battle packs from KMart promotions on EBay.  My lots of Kashyyyk Troopers sell at a much more brisk pace than my Death Star Troopers lots.  I pretty much sell 3 KT sets for every 1 DST.  I also plan on hoarding a good bit of Kashyyyk Trooper sets for post retirement.

• Like 4

What does everyone think is the best investment in the $50ish range?  Ecto-1? UN? Mos? DC? So many choices... 

​Honestly? A few bottles of good wine, and lots of time to learn about the topic of your investment. A good start would be this forum. That's going to save you way more in the long run than any set you could buy for $50 now.

• Like 1

The B-Wing was essentially the upgraded replacement for the Y-wing, which is very old (predates the X-wing and A-wing) and obsolete according to the official (ie LucasArts) narrative.  It would be interesting if the B-Wing had a more prominent role to play in the new movies for this reason.