Retiring Soon - open speculation

Camel^3 sales rank (that's US sales) for EV is terrible.  Highest it's been is 2383 in the last 3 months, and its averaged about 5000.  That's beyond pathetic, the lowest sales rank of any Lego exclusive I've bothered to research (which is most of them).  Most sets are in the top 1000, and the good ones (PR, DO, PC, PS, Tumbler) are in the top 50.  We had a post last week that did a detailed analysis of Camel^3 sales rank (US data) vs. EU Lego inventory data.  They track quite well across exclusives, and EV is no different here.  Based on all this, I'd say EV is a very, very slow seller recently.  

Now, for this particular set, this is probably good news for investors.  As EV isn't well bought or hoarded, and future AFOLs will want it, they just don't know it yet.  e.***., steady demand and limited supply.

If TLC pulls townhall on EV, rank won't matter

Diablo, I have been following amazon very closely when EV was released and I seem to remember an incredibly constricted supply when it comes to this set. For a very long period after its release, Amazon (I'm talking EU sites - FR, DE, UK) had it higher than RRP! And even then, they rarely had it in stock, it was usually 3rd parties. For some reason, TLG didn't go a royal way with Amazon for this one OR... Amazon wasn't able to secure a deal they wanted on EV with TLG.

I believe TLG has provisions on which products can be discounted below RRP (something Amazon does regularly) and which can't. R2D2 for example could rarely be found on less than 20% off RRP (and going to 40% off, I actually bought it for a friend for ~120 euros) on Amazon in its time. Never happened with EV.

Just an insight of someone who followed closely the situation with EU Amazon sites. I don't believe that in case of this set a straight parallel can be made with LEGO Shop at Home inventory data. Also, let us not forget that EV was one of the sets that actually saw an increase in official LEGO Shop at Home RRP after its first run! I don't know of any other set with which that happened. I am still most curious at what could have prompted that decision...

visit the camelcamelcamel.com web and choose any lego reference you want.When the price graph comes up you have to click on the sales rank tab. I don´t see this data as conclusive myself as there are so many swings from high to low but  I probably don´t have the brains to interpret it properly.

• Like 4

visit the camelcamelcamel.com web and choose any lego reference you want.When the price graph comes up you have to click on the sales rank tab. I don´t see this data as conclusive myself as there are so many swings from high to low but  I probably don´t have the brains to interpret it properly.

​I didn't know this existed. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know, if there is a predictable time span between retired-status at Lego.com compared to retired-status at Lego Europe? I mean, Pet Shop is no longer available at Lego.com, but they restocked it to 350 units in Europe (meanwhile 260 units were sold). Is there a pattern? 

Does anyone know, if there is a predictable time span between retired-status at Lego.com compared to retired-status at Lego Europe? I mean, Pet Shop is no longer available at Lego.com, but they restocked it to 350 units in Europe (meanwhile 260 units were sold). Is there a pattern? 

There is not.

• Like 1

Is Sydney opera house architecture retired? No longer available at Barnes. 

​It's not officially retired, but it's sold out at LEGO Shop at Home. That usually means that it won't be coming back. In other words, it's unofficially retired.

​Really?! I just checked LEGO Shop at Home 21012 Sydney Opera House is "Sold Out". I think you are referring to the 10234 Sydney Opera House.

​I think he is talking about the 10234 Sydney Opera House...

The Architecture 21012 Sydney Opera House is gone.

10188 Death Star can't be found on Lego.de. Well, it's out of stock because many people used the 10% discount, but Red Five X-Wing is also out of stock and can be found on their site...

​I can see it on the lego.com site in $. afraid i don't think it is fully done yet...

Does anyone else think they are ready to retire the Friends Dolphin Cruiser? I know not all signs are pointing to it yet but retailers started discounting them yesterday evening and you can't find one on a TRU shelf within 100 miles from where I'm at. Lego still has them at retail though and last I checked, you can still get 5 from them. 

The DC is thining out around here as well.  August will be 2 years for it, so I am really hoping to see it retire before the 4Q so I can capitalize this Christmas.  If not, this is one of the few Friends sets that I have faith in long-term because it is such a unique and impressive set and I don't see them ever remaking it.

• Like 2

The DC is thining out around here as well.  August will be 2 years for it, so I am really hoping to see it retire before the 4Q so I can capitalize this Christmas.  If not, this is one of the few Friends sets that I have faith in long-term because it is such a unique and impressive set and I don't see them ever remaking it.

​No data or online Friends (pun intended) to back my speculation, but I think DC will will be done this year.

This seems to have flown under my radar, micro MF (75030) is "sold out".  I suspect this means the end of all series 1, some are already tagged as retired.  I am surprised to see the MF in particular just drop off so quickly.

This seems to have flown under my radar, micro MF (75030) is "sold out".  I suspect this means the end of all series 1, some are already tagged as retired.  I am surprised to see the MF in particular just drop off so quickly.

​When WM started putting the ISD microfighter on clearance last year, the writing was on the wall for the first wave for me.  I think that these will do pretty well.

​When WM started putting the ISD microfighter on clearance last year, the writing was on the wall for the first wave for me.  I think that these will do pretty well.

​with BOGO 40% @ TRU + discount gift card, I am loading up as a "free gift" for my future SSD / X-Wing / MF sale.