Retiring Soon - open speculation

10218 Pet Shop is also temporarily out of stock at Lego.nl  and you can't place an order. On its way to EOL?

Normaly its new shipping date is mentioned. 

Read this thread. You will see that temporarily out of stock is definately the exact same as EOL. Except all those times when it is not. But when it is, I WAS RIGHT, HA!

Trek, what SW sets are you targeting other than the obvious exclusives? Show us the way.

I'm not Trek, but aside from exclusives I would start to look at some of the summer 2014 wave that is coming up on 1-year.  The obvious winners are the ISD and AT-AT, though they could last another 12-20 months before they're done.  I think the Cantina is a great set and could be helped by an earlier than 2 year retirement.  My sleeper picks are the Grievous Wheel Bike and Coruscant Police Gunship, though the latter is a TRU exclusive and we all know how that could play out (prolonged shelf life and deep discounts for extended periods).

If I had money to invest solely in Star Wars right now, I would go with the exclusives though.  Red 5 and Ewok Village are prime candidates for retirement this year.  There was a slew of regular sets effectively retired in late 2014 and I'm not sure if any more will be on the chopping block until much later in the year.  

• Like 2

Trek, what SW sets are you targeting other than the obvious exclusives? Show us the way.

I'm not Trek, but aside from exclusives I would start to look at some of the summer 2014 wave that is coming up on 1-year.  The obvious winners are the ISD and AT-AT, though they could last another 12-20 months before they're done.  I think the Cantina is a great set and could be helped by an earlier than 2 year retirement.  My sleeper picks are the Grievous Wheel Bike and Coruscant Police Gunship, though the latter is a TRU exclusive and we all know how that could play out (prolonged shelf life and deep discounts for extended periods).

If I had money to invest solely in Star Wars right now, I would go with the exclusives though.  Red 5 and Ewok Village are prime candidates for retirement this year.  There was a slew of regular sets effectively retired in late 2014 and I'm not sure if any more will be on the chopping block until much later in the year.  

pete just getting back to being online.

I think zskids's suggestions are great.

Here is what I have done and the order I have done it in looking at both long term return and in anticipation of Episode VII price spikes and retirements and when I entered the investment community:

- 4 SSD's (wish I had 20) now retired not an option to buy at retail

- 20 R2's now retired not an option to buy at retail

- 24 Red Five's (I think it will be gone in the next few months but could last till next year).  You can still acquire.  Just don't buy from Target LOL

- 10 Death Star's (you can still get)

- 2 Ewok's  (this is next on my list and I am heading to 10 of them)

- ISD and AT-AT are great suggestions and will probably run out of stock at some point and spike before they eventually go away hoping to catch them on sale

While I love Slave I I feel its too early to the game for me at least.

Just remember each person has their own budget needs desires.

I am no Emazers not even close and would never pretend to be.

There are many on here with much larger portfolios.

Yes there may be risk in the Death Star or Red Five, but I have R2's and TH's to counter balance the risk the way I see it.

So if I was jumping in now I would be buying Red Five, DS and Ewok Village in the Star Wars line.

Trek, I can understand focusing on Red 5 and DS, but what is it about EV that makes it such a great investment.  It only showed up in one of the first six movies, and in fact it was in one of the original three.  I've got young kids in my home, and I suppose that is who the Ewoks are supposed to target to.  But they watch the Episode I, II, and III (as much as that makes me cringe), not the original three..  I just don't see EV being an iconic SW set, unless they are getting play in Episode 7.  Just my two cents.

It only appeared in the Original Trilogy, now that's a bad thing? I can't keep up anymore.

No, it's not a bad thing. But everything is relative. Red 5 and DS played much more prominent roles in the movies, and probably have more appeal to AFOL then Ewoks do. All of us only have a finite amount of resources. How much of those resources should be deployed to EV, especially considering its price point, relative to other SW sets?

Honestly, I have built the EV and it's an absolutely awesome set. Great build, awesome display piece (ok, not SSD, but imho beats the DS as a display), it's more of an elaborate MOC than an ordianry Lego set...

I would definetely want to have few of these when it retires, its appeal is universal (AFOLs and kids).

The last appearance of Ewoks will most likely be EP6. I read in an interview somewhere that Disney doesn't want to do anything with them. They just don't fit into the world of cool teenage main characters. In this age only children under 5 want cute things. Over that they want cool stuff. Cool villains, protagonist and maybe some funny sidekicks (as much as I loathe those). But ewoks? Hell no. 

The village itself is a very cool build. Fitted with wookies it can be a nice Kashyyyk scene.

No, it's not a bad thing. But everything is relative. Red 5 and DS played much more prominent roles in the movies, and probably have more appeal to AFOL then Ewoks do. All of us only have a finite amount of resources. How much of those resources should be deployed to EV, especially considering its price point, relative to other SW sets?

I think the Ewok Village had more screen time than the SSD, just sayin'...

• Like 1

Trek, I can understand focusing on Red 5 and DS, but what is it about EV that makes it such a great investment.  It only showed up in one of the first six movies, and in fact it was in one of the original three.  I've got young kids in my home, and I suppose that is who the Ewoks are supposed to target to.  But they watch the Episode I, II, and III (as much as that makes me cringe), not the original three..  I just don't see EV being an iconic SW set, unless they are getting play in Episode 7.  Just my two cents.

I have a young one, and Ewok Village is on the top of his list of lego sets he wants. 

I also think many of the older folks here that have lost touch with their childhood vastly underestimate this set. 

OK here goes

jaxman - I think EV will be a great set to own because many people are skipping it IMO.  If they skip it its rare.  If its rare it is worth $.  This does not always work but with Ewok I think it works.

mos eisley - I always love your posts!  You have a whit second to none.

ciglione - Too early for me.  Flip some of these and then get that one later.

biking tiger - exactly.  Oh I want the Ewok Village.  But right now I will get the other sets more and the less expensive sets more.  I can always get that later.  BOOM.  Town Hall effect on the EV.  Not as quick of as climb and not saying it will be the TH but the effect.  No one bought the Town Hall but many wanted it.  But it cost more so hey get it later get the other ones now.

• Like 1

Return of the Jedi was my favourite of the original films. The forest battle scenes were fun to watch. Like most large Star Wars sets I expect this to be a winner.

Well, when EV retires, a parent is going to have to shell out $400+ for it if their child wants it. I don't know many parents who would do that. And there may be something coming along in Episode VII, VIII, or IX that all the kids will want and be available at retail. My strategy with SW is to invest in sets that will have appeal to AFOL who remember the originals and can afford it. Not sure EV fits that. But that's just my opinion.

Look, seems like a lot of guys just like to here all the people on here who dislike the Ewok Village, Death Star and a few others so they have an excuse not to buy them, but I bet many who bash these sets already have some. All Star War Exclusives will do great to huge when retired. My advice is get the Red 5, Ewok Village, Death Stars when you can, the Slave 1 and Sandcrawler will be around for awhile. I have plenty of the 3 and still getting more. Ed .

Edited by emazers