Retiring Soon - open speculation

Right. He was a visual "artist." :pleasantry:

Plus, this was the question you should have been asking:

If the moon of Endor was close enough to host the shield generator for the Death Star, how come it did not get blown up along with that man-made weapon the size of a moon ?

I would have stocked up on EV had that moon got destroyed along with DS at the end of RotJ :)

Plus, this was the question you should have been asking:

If the moon of Endor was close enough to host the shield generator for the Death Star, how come it did not get blown up along with that man-made weapon the size of a moon ?

I would have stocked up on EV had that moon got destroyed along with DS at the end of RotJ :)

What happens to a moon when the parent planet it orbits no longer exists? Is it floating aimlessly in space?

What happens to a moon when the parent planet it orbits no longer exists? Is it floating aimlessly in space?

It either gets caught up in the mess or gets drawn in by a bigger planet if there are other bigger ones in the system to become a moon again. Or begin orbiting around the sun if none of these are true, becoming a planet on its own.

For the same reason that the battle droids are stupid, can get scared and have a sense of humor (e.g. have emotions).

I am going to cheat and say if the planet explodes then the moon should be close enough to catch the debris and get destroyed.  If the planet implodes, there should be  some kind of black hole created to suck in anything close by, including the moon :D

Insert Boromir meme here: :P

"Planet does not simply disappear"

post-8090-0-58913400-1429125217.jpg

Edited by gregpj
Added meme as per request. ;)

I don't disagree with some's take that the Sandcrawler is a good investment.  I built that recently, and it's an absolute gem of a set.. This is definitely an investment worthy set. 

But, it still gets knocked around by so many here because "it's a kids set, and not a true UCS set", even if the overall build showcases it as a somewhat complex technic set.

I dont see why the SW universe can't be broad enough to appeal to both the kids that want bigger sets to display (and or) play with (Ewok Village and Death Star meet this, and i'm sure the UCS Hoth Rebel Base will too), and UCS ship and vehicles that get built, don't have much playability and sit on a stand to collect dust but look pretty cool.  I think there is investment potential in both sides.  Personally, I prefer building and investing in the bigger play/display sets over the 50 to 60.00 set  that most of the time feel incomplete (cantina, palpatines arrest, hoth echo base, and the upcoming Jedi Duel fit this criteria).  The ewok village is what I consider a complete set and definitely one of the coolest sets made in the lego star wars universe.  That set feels complete.  If they continue to expand these large scale exclusives with "hoth rebel bases", "sith tombs", and a larger scale 3000 piece cantina set then they will have more winners on their hands. 

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

I can't get my brain to accept that little furry stone age guys beat down the emperor's elite stormtrooper battalion.  In, um, 'reality' the battle of Endor would have gone down more like the conquistadors versus the Aztecs.  Slingshots and spears just don't beat blaster rifles and AT-ST's.  On the other hand, EV looks really nice.  It's on my list as 'buy around 10, starting after 10240 disappears from LEGO Shop at Home'.  I think Sandcrawler is a much better bet long term.  The last one nearly tripled before being undercut by sandcrawler 2.0.  Jawas were around $40 each on eBay at one point.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, and I've stated I view lego as 98% investment. I say this cause I own 2 lego sets. I do not build them.

To bank on that statement I hate star wars. I don't get it at all. I've seen every movie twice. As a kid and as an adult.

Why do you all care or does this matter, from some one who has no interest in star wars the set that stands out to me the most is ewok village. It's just cool. Simple as that. I don't see a new ewok village coming out. They Will continue to make rehashes of insert any and all spaceship here. Ewok village is unique, appeals to those who don't care about star wars and is an exclusive.

O yeah, one other thing the death star is retiring like now.

What I don't understand is anyone on here saying a star wars exclusive won't do well. Has their ever been a star wars exclusive set that did not go up in value to a profitable level after fees and shipping. The answer is no.

That is why I'm also always confused by these conversations. You could buy any star wars exclusive right now and you will make money on it. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't or dosnt pay attention or has never sold a lego set in their lives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Edited by hxckid88
  • Like 1

I have no interest at all in SW Lego except for investment purposes and as objective as one can be in these cases, I see that this set is a nice unique one that stands apart from endless rehashes of spaceships.

Pros:

High entry price to deter casual investors, not available in too many B+M stores, strong element of unique parts and minifigs. Box design looks good. Playset functionality like DS. Unlikely to be remade in the near future. Seemingly close to EOL so not needed to be a long term hoard. Strong residuals of theme and exclusives. new film hype.

Cons:

High RRP and per piece count means gains may not be as good as other sets, Ewoks seem to be love or hate and less popular than space ships so there will be a smaller target buying public. No UCS tag. Is money better spent on PS or PC?? Opportunity cost.

It wouldn

Edited by valenciaeric

I am very biased. The Ewoks were what led to the development of Jar Jar and I will never forgive them for that! ;)

I pretty much agree on this. I am a very strong opponent of kid-ization of SW (reason why the dark ESB appealed to me the most) and Jar Jar is just, well... no comment needed. Yet I absolutely adore the EV set, love or hate the fuzzy furballs, that set is amazing, period. Minifigs, display, scene accuracy, overall feel. It wins with flying colors on all accounts. Except one, the RRP, it remains a very expensive set for the piece count.

Oh I see you are a female LEGO fan who loves Star Wars. Not saying any problem with that, but from a statistics point of view I think you are not representative regarding the AFOL crowd who generate demand down the road, instead the exception to the rule realistically speaking. For males, who are the majority of SW loving AFOLs (I would say likely over 95%), ewoks dont tend to be appealing. At least I did not meet anybody who liked them. Just my two cents.

They don't appeal to me either, but that doesn't mean I'd pass on a (extremely well done) set depicting 40% of RoTJ action...

1. You can have all the blaster rifles you want, if you can't hit the broadside of a sailbarge it doesn't matter.

2. A native force of jungle partisan guerillas, dedicated to their cause, protecting their home with a bunch of small arms and homemade booby traps could never defeat a technologically superior, much richer, better trained industrialized imperial foe. Just ask the North Vietnamese

I can't get my brain to accept that little furry stone age guys beat down the emperor's elite stormtrooper battalion.  In, um, 'reality' the battle of Endor would have gone down more like the conquistadors versus the Aztecs.  Slingshots and spears just don't beat blaster rifles and AT-ST's.  On the other hand, EV looks really nice.  It's on my list as 'buy around 10, starting after 10240 disappears from

• Like 2

It's not scientific by any means, but EV is one of the few "upside down" own/want exclusives on Brickset (i.e., more people want it than own it.)

That might mean something.

Yes, it probably means that many people consider the set cool but too expensive. One could also see that comparing the EU sales figures before and during double VIP when more than double (almost three times) the amount of EVs were sold per week - which was a bigger rise than most other exclusive sets had.

For what it's worth, and I've stated I view lego as 98% investment. I say this cause I own 2 lego sets. I do not build them.

To bank on that statement I hate star wars. I don't get it at all. I've seen every movie twice. As a kid and as an adult.

Why do you all care or does this matter, from some one who has no interest in star wars the set that stands out to me the most is ewok village. It's just cool. Simple as that. I don't see a new ewok village coming out. They Will continue to make rehashes of insert any and all spaceship here. Ewok village is unique, appeals to those who don't care about star wars and is an exclusive.

O yeah, one other thing the death star is retiring like now.

What I don't understand is anyone on here saying a star wars exclusive won't do well. Has their ever been a star wars exclusive set that did not go up in value to a profitable level after fees and shipping. The answer is no.

That is why I'm also always confused by these conversations. You could buy any star wars exclusive right now and you will make money on it. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't or dosnt pay attention or has never sold a lego set in their lives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

hxc darn you!

You gave away my secret.  Every UCS SW set there is will make money LOL

Also to all the Ewok and Jar Jar haters, your right the movies were made strictly for adults.  Kids should be banned.

Lego should be for Adults only too.

Are you like Lord Business or something?

Star Wars is for everyone.  Chill and buy away if that is your independent investment decision.

LOL

I can't get my brain to accept that little furry stone age guys beat down the emperor's elite stormtrooper battalion.  In, um, 'reality' the battle of Endor would have gone down more like the conquistadors versus the Aztecs.  Slingshots and spears just don't beat blaster rifles and AT-ST's.

This might help you accepting it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

...except there were no evidently furry guys involved.

Yes, it probably means that many people consider the set cool but too expensive. One could also see that comparing the EU sales figures before and during double VIP when more than double (almost three times) the amount of EVs were sold per week - which was a bigger rise than most other exclusive sets had.

Ewok sales did not double (or triple, good grief) during the double VIP period in the EU sales data (March 14-29).  Here's the data.   Sales rates were the same in both periods, as they were for nearly all the exclusives.  It may have sold an entire 20 units more the first week of double VIP, that's it.  Look at the derivatives of this curve during the steady-state sales periods, it's the same.   Especially telling is the sales from March 21 to April 3, which split the VIP sales period.  No difference in the rate before and after the March 29 cutoff.  BTW, overall sales of this exclusive are anemic.  It sold at about 50 units/week; the best sellers (Tumbler, DO) went 10x that rate, about 500 units/week. EV is among the slowest selling exclusives in the data.

Ewok%20Sales_zpsfatzrrd6.jpg

Edited by diablo2112

That's european data from France and Germany,.  European sales tax rates are much higher than in the US, making investing and hording exclusives a harder and trickier game.  Here in the states, the EV sold out during 2x VIP.  It's been put back in stock, but on the same token, the lego store in my region seems to sell a good amount of EV and it seems like a popular set.  This set also seems to receive very high reviews from people on amazon that have purchased it and built it.  It's ranked better than the tumbler.  I haven't built either, so i'm just going by the stats, and not a personal opinion on either set.  But, if you don't like the large scale playsets, then so be it.  Others out there obviously do. 

I thought the same thing about Battle of Endor...oh boy, was I wrong. 

I'm not knocking EV, but it doesn't do anything for me and I don't have any in my inventory. I'd rather have more Red Fives.

I agree. Ewok-related sets have performed only "so so" in the past depsite the minifigs included.

Ewoks blow. The original was fantastic, and it appealed to me, a 12-year old kid just fine without cutesy characters. I tolerated Yoda as the rest of ESB was fantastic and dark. Lucas ruined his own series with all the kid-crap. He claims it appeals to kids, but all the crypto-Floridian bunk in prequels certainly went over most kids heads. EV will no doubt make money. But it's no SSD or MF. Of the current sets, I think in the long run Slave 1, Sandcrawler, and DS are the current stars. Sand crawler isn't selling nearly as well as other sets at this stage of life, I think that's the sleeper here. IMHO.

When I was a young kid during the 1980s I loved the Ewoks. Still, I enjoyed the Jabba and Death Star 2 scenes better from ROTJ. As I grew up, the Ewoks became too childish to even enjoy as an Original Trilogy snob. My son likes Ewoks so I totally understand why Lucas used them. However, young kids aren't buying $250 Lego sets and I doubt most parents are. I'm also not seeing the AFOL and Star Wars fanatics going out of their way buying it (despite being a cool set). Heck, even the vintage Kenner playset has "so so" demand compared to other SW toys.

The Sandcrawler is also my pick. Jawas have cult following in the SW fan community. Utinni !

That's european data from France and Germany,.  European sales tax rates are much higher than in the US, making investing and hording exclusives a harder and trickier game.  Here in the states, the EV sold out during 2x VIP.  It's been put back in stock, but on the same token, the lego store in my region seems to sell a good amount of EV and it seems like a popular set.  This set also seems to receive very high reviews from people on amazon that have purchased it and built it.  It's ranked better than the tumbler.  I haven't built either, so i'm just going by the stats, and not a personal opinion on either set.  But, if you don't like the large scale playsets, then so be it.  Others out there obviously do. 

Camel^3 sales rank (that's US sales) for EV is terrible.  Highest it's been is 2383 in the last 3 months, and its averaged about 5000.  That's beyond pathetic, the lowest sales rank of any Lego exclusive I've bothered to research (which is most of them).  Most sets are in the top 1000, and the good ones (PR, DO, PC, PS, Tumbler) are in the top 50.  We had a post last week that did a detailed analysis of Camel^3 sales rank (US data) vs. EU Lego inventory data.  They track quite well across exclusives, and EV is no different here.  Based on all this, I'd say EV is a very, very slow seller recently.  

Now, for this particular set, this is probably good news for investors.  As EV isn't well bought or hoarded, and future AFOLs will want it, they just don't know it yet.  e.***., steady demand and limited supply.  

Now, for this particular set, this is probably good news for investors. As EV isn't well bought or hoarded, and future AFOLs will want it, they just don't know it yet. e.g., steady demand and limited supply.

Have you accounted for "Ewoks" in your equation :)

Regardless of supply and demand, there is still the Ewok factor. Granted, it's not as bad as Little Ani and Jar-Jar factors in sets. Looking at past sets, AFOLs seem to avoid Ewoks despite the sets being well designed.