Retiring Soon - open speculation

The B-Wing was essentially the upgraded replacement for the Y-wing, which is very old (predates the X-wing and A-wing) and obsolete according to the official (ie LucasArts) narrative.  It would be interesting if the B-Wing had a more prominent role to play in the new movies for this reason.

​I would love this to be true.

Hi,

I was wondering what the easiest way would be to find out the date that a set retired, if there is a way to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

​If you go to Brickset.com and lookup a set, on the right side of the page it will have a production timeline for each.  Retirement date is closely tied to it's last production/availability date.

​And about 10 minutes after it was OOS, it shot up about 60.00, so looks like the tower has finally been depleted at retail online, and along with it goes the Lord of the Rings line.  Now, we can finally watch those sets appreciate.

​Can we wait until Amazon is out for at least maybe 20 minutes or so before we start saying it is for sure done. They do restocks at Amazon you know....

• Like 2

​And about 10 minutes after it was OOS, it shot up about 60.00, so looks like the tower has finally been depleted at retail online, and along with it goes the Lord of the Rings line.  Now, we can finally watch those sets appreciate.

The $60 jump is to be expected. The set has never discounted and taking into account Amazon fees, I wouldn't read too much into it just yet

The writing has been on that set for quite some time.  About a month ago they had another wave after it was OOS from the 2xvip event, and walmart, amazon, and lego.com had them available around the latter part of April.  They went within a week at lego.com, a few days later at walmart, and they've held out at amazon for a little longer.  So, while the chances of seeing another wave is slightly possible, I feel this one is done.  Lego.com pretty much flushed out the Lord of the Rings sets this month, leaving only the tower.   I keep tabs on some of the sets I have stocked up .. and this is one i've been watching like a hawk.  There's more to watching "stock inventory" than just paying attention to the ongoings at brickpicker.com

• Like 1

​These days it seems that the official "Sold Out" on shop at home is the final nail in the coffin.  Not likely to see much real movement until that hits.  And of course even after that some lingering shipments can hit amazon and other sellers.  If they pop up now is certainly a good time to grab them in the RRP range, but I would not bank of it being done quite yet.

​These days it seems that the official "Sold Out" on shop at home is the final nail in the coffin.  Not likely to see much real movement until that hits.  And of course even after that some lingering shipments can hit amazon and other sellers.  If they pop up now is certainly a good time to grab them in the RRP range, but I would not bank of it being done quite yet.

​That's definitely true, but this is basically the final phase, before that label hits.  Plus, I think they don't list "Sold Out" until it's completely sold out of inventory at lego, which would also include the stores. The point is, finding them online at RRP is about to become more rare, and those few sets that may pop in every once in a while will last about 5 minutes before they are snatched up.

​That's definitely true, but this is basically the final phase, before that label hits.  Plus, I think they don't list "Sold Out" until it's completely sold out of inventory at lego, which would also include the stores. The point is, finding them online at RRP is about to become more rare, and those few sets that may pop in every once in a while will last about 5 minutes before they are snatched up.

The sold out status of a set on S@H has nothing to do with stock in retail stores. 

• Like 1

The sold out status of a set on LEGO Shop at Home has nothing to do with stock in retail stores. 

​Do we have proof of this?  I work on POS systems, and usually a "sold out" label is only triggered when it's completely gone from inventory from all stores (including stores online), otherwise just OOS will appear for that specific store, as techincally there is still stock in the centralized inventory.  I would highly doubt lego would have separate POS systems, and that it is all part of a centralized system.

Edited by fossilrock

​Do we have proof of this?  I work on POS systems, and usually a "sold out" label is only triggered when it's completely gone from inventory from all stores (including stores online), otherwise just OOS will appear for that specific store.  I would highly doubt lego would have separate POS systems, and that it is all part of a centralized system.

In Mos we trust :) 

LEGO Shop at Home has different inventory than LEGO retail stores.  They do not reveal retail store stock on their website (unless you can point me to something that says otherwise).  If you go back and read the replies last fall for sets that were "sold out" on Shop at Home, there were still some that were able to find these on retail store shelves even though they were sold out from Shop at Home.

Not to mention some of the current sets that are OOS "ships 30 days" or "ships XX/XX date" on Shop at Home can still be purchased at some LEGO retail stores today.   

Edited by zskid00

LEGO Shop at Home has different inventory than LEGO retail stores.  They do not reveal retail store stock on their website (unless you can point me to something that says otherwise).  If you go back and read the replies last fall for sets that were "sold out" on Shop at Home, there were still some that were able to find these on retail store shelves even though they were sold out from Shop at Home.

Agreed, but if they do have a centralized Point of Sales system (which i'm guessing they do, since all retail outlets tend to function this way).  The online store would just function as another store, that the centralized warehouse would allocate inventory too.  Then of course theres stock in all the stores, as well.  While overall stock inventory would not be available to the public, i'm sure through their POS an employee with access to the system could see how many of a certain item is in stock not only online, but at the individual stores, and then the inventory manager can determine how to allocate stock to those locations from their warehouses.  That's usually how it works now a days.  There possibly could be more towers sitting in a warehouse, and they were waiting for them to sell out at other areas before allocating anymore, but I doubt it.

Edited by fossilrock

Agreed, but if they do have a centralized Point of Sales system (which i'm guessing they do, since all retail outlets tend to function this way).  The online store would just function as another store, that the centralized warehouse would allocate inventory too.  Then of course theres stock in all the stores, as well.  While overall stock inventory would not be available to the public, i'm sure through their POS an employee with access to the system could see how many of a certain item is in stock not only online, but at the individual stores, and then the inventory manager can determine how to allocate stock to those locations from their warehouses.  That's usually how it works now a days.  There possibly could be more towers sitting in a warehouse, and they were waiting for them to sell out at other areas before allocating anymore, but I doubt it.

​clearly that's not how it works with LEGO.  stores by me have sets that are out of stock and unorderable like SH or backordered like PS , Red 5 and even the new Ferris Wheel.

TLG is a privately held company that has evolved its own idiosyncracies unheard of with other retailers - who has ever heard of being banned for buying too much product.  who does LIFO ordeer fulfillment?

inferring logic from what other businesses do here is like trying to read the mind of a dog.

OOS online means it's OOS online. 

Actually, you can tell the system is centralized, simply by the VIP points and sales history, if you have an account.  If you buy online at lego.com, that purchase is in your history.  If you go to a store, and buy something with your VIP account, that transaction is also under your account when you log in online. So, yes, the overall POS system is centralized.  You obviously are missing my point. 

I can understand why they ban people that attempt to purchase a lot of exclusives from them.  They want to sell to consumers, not competing businesses. Obviously, with what i've read here, many people try to vastly skirt the system and think they can abuse it, but fail to understand that all their purchases will have a history behind them, unless they buy with cash. 

Edited by fossilrock

OOS online means it's OOS online

Actually, you can tell the system is centralized, simply by the VIP points and sales history, if you have an account.  If you buy online at lego.com, that purchase is in your history.  If you go to a store, and buy something with your VIP account, that is also under your account when you log in online. So, yes, the overall POS system is centralized.  You obviously are missing my point. 

I can understand why they ban people that attempt to purchase a lot of exclusives from them.  They want to sell to consumers, not competing businesses. Obviously, with what i've read here, many people try to vastly skirt the system and think they can abuse it, but fail to understand that all their purchases will have a history behind them, unless they buy with cash.

​So which one is it, OOS means online only or includes stores ? The only place that puts "Sold Out" sign is the S@H website. 

​clearly that's not how it works with LEGO.  stores by me have sets that are out of stock and unorderable like SH or backordered like PS , Red 5 and even the new Ferris Wheel.

TLG is a privately held company that has evolved its own idiosyncracies unheard of with other retailers - who has ever heard of being banned for buying too much product.  who does LIFO ordeer fulfillment?

inferring logic from what other businesses do here is like trying to read the mind of a dog.

​So then Mos is the dog whisperer?

You guys are confusing OOS with Sold Out. They obviously are not used by the Lego group as the same label.  OOS means that it's out of stock at that specific store, and yes you are not going to see that information at a store, unless you go up to the registers, and ask the sales associate.  He can usually check to see if any inventory is in place at that store by accessing the POS.  Sold out means that all the inventory is gone from all the retail outlets including the online store.  Once it hits sold out, it tends to get the "retirement tag" when they do their inventory updates.  My guess, is the retirement tag is a manual trigger, while the OOS and Sold Out tags are automated from the POS system.  That's usually how it works.

And yes, if you think Target doesn't know your purchase history and can see that you are buying 40 of the same item by using a Tax Exempt account, you obviously are playing with fire.  Those that do that will instantly get a "reseller label, when someone at target runs a query seeing if any accounts bought more than X number of products.  When that list pops up, all those that did this will appear.  That tactic goes against their policy to sell inventory strictly to the consumer level, and not to other businesses.  Eventually it will catch up with you.  It's better to tread lightly.