Retiring Soon - open speculation

I don't know where all this "Ewoks have no appeal with AFOLs" is coming from. My friends and I all have great affection for the furry little trooper killers. I'd love to have the set, it's just a bit too expensive for me to rationalize so I'm on the prowl for a used one.

• Like 1

My favorite is the Hoth Ice Planet scenes and equipment.

I guess that is why I like Lego Arctic so much LOL.

Can't wait for the UCS Hoth Base this Christmas.

I agree! Empire is my favorite. My favorite toy as a kid was a snow speeder. The poor family cat got sick of me trying to wrap the harpoon around its legs*.

* no animals were harmed in these events.

• Like 2

I don't know where all this "Ewoks have no appeal with AFOLs" is coming from. My friends and I all have great affection for the furry little trooper killers. I'd love to have the set, it's just a bit too expensive for me to rationalize so I'm on the prowl for a used one.

Oh I see you are a female LEGO fan who loves Star Wars. Not saying any problem with that, but from a statistics point of view I think you are not representative regarding the AFOL crowd who generate demand down the road, instead the exception to the rule realistically speaking. For males, who are the majority of SW loving AFOLs (I would say likely over 95%), ewoks dont tend to be appealing. At least I did not meet anybody who liked them. Just my two cents.

It's funny how people forget that the Ewoks were 2 seconds away from ripping Han Solo's flesh from his face once it got nice and crispy on that fire spit.

MMM, tastes like chicken.

Cute and furry, my arse.

Oh I see you are a female LEGO fan who loves Star Wars. Not saying any problem with that, but from a statistics point of view I think you are not representative regarding the AFOL crowd who generate demand down the road, instead the exception to the rule realistically speaking. For males, who are the majority of SW loving AFOLs (I would say likely over 95%), ewoks dont tend to be appealing. At least I did not meet anybody who liked them. Just my two cents.

I don't think it's a male / female thing. Its a question of age. The show How I Met Your Mother makes this case via "The Ewok Line".

Personally i think the theory needs to be updated to curve back down as perhaps the current generation are not fans of the little cannibals.

_1318338052.jpg

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 4

who would have thought that some grown men might like my little pony stuff. yet there we go

bronycon_2013_princess_group_feat__princ

Edited by No More Monkeys
  • Like 3

So why does every planet/moon in Star Wars only have one biome?

Tatooine: desert

Hoth: arctic tundra

Endor: forest

But on topic: I've come around on EV. I think it's price point is a little high for the pieces new, but once it's gone, it's gone. All logic is out the window when something goes EOL.

who would have thought that some grown men might like my little pony stuff. yet there we go

Ermm.... it happens. Still, I don't believe they are representative either. But since only fans appear at these conventions, drawing conclusions from these pictures leads to a selection bias.

There is this scene in the "People vs George Lucas" where some gen xers & yers go off on a jar jar bashing tangent by stating "Lucas's prequel films only appeals to babies".  And, what's ironic about it was that kids seemed to love Jar Jar, while those that have grown into adults during the prequel era seem to mistakingly think SW should only appeal to adults and older generations.  They seemed to mistakingly forget that SW biggest target audience is kids.  Yeah, to some older folks, an 8 year old anakin winning a nascaresque podrace seems a bit silly and corny, but to a kid that age it gives them hope, fuels their imagination and inspires them.  Lucas could connect with his inner child better than a majority of human society - and it's evident with some of his films, as he built an empire by being able to hone those skills.  And seriously, when most of us were kids during the OT era, we liked the ewoks too.  I know I liked them, and had the action figures.  I also like this EV set, and will definitely will be opening and building one in a few months to give to my son for his birthday.  But, it's really not about "me" at this point.  It's for my kid, but I still apprecatiate this, and think it does appeal to me too.  I'd rather spend my money on something like this for my kid than many other things. 

And I also think as an investment, there will be others out there that will buy and invest in it.  Seriously, I have to chuckle at some here that think that a UCS Lego set should scream "For Adults only".   Once again, Lego's have universal appeal, but are geared mostly towards kids.  A little perspective is in order.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

bronycon_2013_princess_group_feat__princ

Love the dude in the Optimus Prime mask right in the middle. Haha, that's awesome.

I liked the Ewoks as a kid, can't bring myself to shell out the cash for the set as an adult (personal or investment). It's cute, but not for me and not for my kids (looks too destroyable).

10218 Pet Shop is also temporarily out of stock at Lego.nl  and you can't place an order. On its way to EOL?

Normaly its new shipping date is mentioned. 

Normally yes, a shipping date is mentioned. It is possible that it goes EOL. On the other hand, it can just be LEGO giving themselves some breathing room because they drown in back-orders. Or it can be another dozen of reasons. Your guess is as good as the rest of us.

Ewoks blow.  The original was fantastic, and it appealed to me, a 12-year old kid just fine without cutesy characters.  I tolerated Yoda as the rest of ESB was fantastic and dark.   Lucas ruined his own series with all the kid-crap.  He claims it appeals to kids, but all the crypto-Floridian bunk in prequels certainly went over most kids heads.  EV will no doubt make money.  But it's no SSD or MF.  Of the current sets, I think in the long run Slave 1, Sandcrawler, and DS are the current stars.  Sand crawler isn't selling nearly as well as other sets at this stage of life, I think that's the sleeper here.  IMHO.

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 3