10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

34 minutes ago, Anomander said:

Long-term for sure they'll do well, but not 10179 well, or even SSD well. A lot of new people are in it for the long-term-hold too. What's considered a long term hold will be 5-6 years +. The CARG long-term won't be as profitable as the QFLL bargain hunters or medium termers that bought-in low.

In my opinion only, of course.

Let's say EV and Tumbler are good investments for people who plan to use the profits on their sets for their OWN retirement or for the folks on here asking for good investment choices before going to Afghanistan for some years and don't want to experience a bad surprise (aka remake) once they come home.

17 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Let's say EV and Tumbler are good investments for people who plan to use the profits on their sets for their OWN retirement or for the folks on here asking for good investment choices before going to Afghanistan for some years and don't want to experience a bad surprise (aka remake) once they come home.

Definitely. If you have the patience and can afford to play the long game they will net you something. My point is CARG will not be great compared to those that put in more work by  turning over their stocks of cheaper sets in much shorter times that they bought also at good discounts. The number of times they do that compared to the equivalent money people have tied up in long term holds will see a much greater return.

Your point about retirement funds is great for those who don't want to work as hard, but less money. I don't see the Tumbler UCS being re-made. But the popularity of our cute little Ewok friends cannot be underestimated. It's not remote that the chances of another mega Ewok set gets launched in the future that, while not being a carbon copy clone only with updated minigs, would be a viable alternative.

I've 6 EV's myself, all bought at  discount, so if this thing follows the lame duck trend after a couple of years I'll dump all but one at slightly lower than market rate and move on in the fashion I'm now following with the cheaper sets.

Edited by Anomander

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, crimson773 said:

Where did they announce where the EV is going to be retired soon? It's not labeled as such on the SAH site.

From UK LEGO Shop at Home:

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 18.11.43.png

Edited by TabbyBoy

3 minutes ago, pete411 said:

At this point, a typical savings account will beat out the yield on EV or most Lego exclusives. Thank you all for realizing this fellow brickpickers.

Your kidding right ? Savings accounts give you 0.5% a year at best.... buying an exclusive will net you more than half a per cent.

• Like 1

At this point, a typical savings account will beat out the yield on EV or most Lego exclusives. Thank you all for realizing this fellow brickpickers.

Yeah I personally don't see myself paying hundreds of dollars on one set and holding it for 3-4 years hoping to make 100 dollars after fees. Rather put that money towards 50-80% off items and have those profits add up. More leg work but less stress and less space needed.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, king156 said:

Your kidding right ? Savings accounts give you 0.5% a year at best.... buying an exclusive will net you more than half a per cent.

Depends on your buy-in. At full RRP, it will take some time for EV to give a positive result, seeing as it can´t even retire soon at RRP with a snowglobe as a sweetener!

I have 2 but I only got them at 30 and 15% off so I am up "the Maze" with no paddle , i think.

I personally think this is a great set, and it will never be remade. Both of my nephews circled this when looking through the smyths catalog. I agree it will be a terrible set for flipping just like all recent UCS sets, but for those willing to hold for 3 years or more, it should eventually fair well. Luckily I got of ton of Jurassic world and scooby doo to keep me busy, so Ive locked my EV away to forget about them, although whilst doing that I found the tumblers I brought last year, time to post in the buyers remorse thread lol

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, John82 said:

I personally think this is a great set, and it will never be remade. Both of my nephews circled this when looking through the smyths catalog. I agree it will be a terrible set for flipping just like all recent UCS sets, but for those willing to hold for 3 years or more, it should eventually fair well. Luckily I got of ton of Jurassic world and scooby doo to keep me busy, so Ive locked my EV away to forget about them, although whilst doing that I found the tumblers I brought last year, time to post in the buyers remorse thread lol

LEGO will be daft to remake a set that's not shifting well. It's a shame that there's so many UCS sets available and flooding the market. I no longer touch UCS sets. However, I'll be pleased for the VERY foolish brave who invested in EV if they do well.

I think a 3yr hold is a little optimistic. The problem with the Tumbler is that the selling window has gone and interest has waned.

Guest TabbyBoy
On 03/12/2016 at 11:28 AM, Furious_george said:

Won't break records but will slowly rise. It's an OT original set .

Bit rude to be calling people foolish who bought this. We can't all buy 99 sets at a time for peanuts.

It also may not rise at all as R5 (also OT) is now RRP (or less) after fees. If it does rise, I would sell asap before it dips again. Remember, UCS sets aren't what they were. Tread carefully on the EV and the SC.