10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

3 minutes ago, crimson773 said:

crap, that was sneaky. I don't think they slapped the retiring soon label on the US site. I remember seeing it on the EU site though... now I gotta go find one to build, dang it!

Really? We've been talking about it with a high degree of certainty for months.

• Like 3

I jump on every once and a while, so I haven't really kept up with the discussions. When it was announced in EU I saw it on the SAH EU site, but the SAH US site didn't have it listed as "retiring soon". Maybe I was a little over confident that it would be around after the holidays. Wouldn't be the first time I've made a error in judgement... lesson learned.

1 minute ago, crimson773 said:

I jump on every once and a while, so I haven't really kept up with the discussions. When it was announced in EU I saw it on the SAH EU site, but the SAH US site didn't have it listed as "retiring soon". Maybe I was a little over confident that it would be around after the holidays. Wouldn't be the first time I've made a error in judgement... lesson learned.

Classic case of "You snooze you lose".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My local Smyths got some "new" stock of EV, I could see at least 6 on shelves, plus more at back.  I'm personally still not convinced this will do well in short term (1-2 years), maybe long term (3+ years) but I'm definitely not willing to pay RRP for this set when there's so many better alternatives.

This is all IMO for UK perspective, US is obviously different.

20170126_174426.jpg

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, MrGreedy said:

Yeah I was worried by how many I saw in my local Smyths. On the bright side building a giant ewok forest sounds fun.

Reading Smyths also had a load and I did talk to one of the staff there who said that it's not a very good seller and could be discounted soon. I really hate the set and will not buy unless it's at least 50% off which, of course, will never happen. Apparently the Slave I and UCS Tie Fighter aren't popular either but, the new Death Star is.

11 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Reading Smyths also had a load and I did talk to one of the staff there who said that it's not a very good seller and could be discounted soon. I really hate the set and will not buy unless it's at least 50% off which, of course, will never happen. Apparently the Slave I and UCS Tie Fighter aren't popular either but, the new Death Star is.

hilarous input. I love it!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The Smyths Effect is killing this one here again like the Tumbler last year. 

They'll be a while yet clearing out their pre-Christmas stock of 12,000.

53 minutes ago, Anomander said:

The Smyths Effect is killing this one here again like the Tumbler last year. 

They'll be a while yet clearing out their pre-Christmas stock of 12,000.

I've got great news for you so. It was only 1,200 before Christmas. 90% off your expectation already. 

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I really hate the set and will not buy unless it's at least 50% off which, of course, will never happen. 

It's been known for some large exclusives to get pretty decent discounts, Sandcrawler and Sea Cow spring to mind.

2 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

I've got great news for you so. It was only 1,200 before Christmas. 90% off your expectation already. 

It's been known for some large exclusives to get pretty decent discounts, Sandcrawler and Sea Cow spring to mind.

Regardless, I'd reckon it will take a while while to clear the 1,200 for the whole of England.

Irish Smyths might end up shipping their hard-to-shift shelf-Villages over to the UK like the Tumbler dregs last spring rather than steeply discounting. The Sandturdcrawler reduction from €300 to €200 happened a year and a half ago - well before its retirement - due to its unflushability at RRP. Smyths saw the writing on the toilet wall with poor sales and wanted rid, just like the 75106 Imperial Turd Carrier that they blew out at €50 long ago and washed their hands thoroughly of it after wiping.

They've kept the Ewoks on shelves until now so I would be surprised if they slashed prices as they must have been better sellers than the SC.

Either way, the annual Smyths drawn out UCS retirement saga is shaping up to stymie short-term growth again. The newbie get-rich-quickers stockpiling will quickly learn all they are getting is cashflow poor in next few years with these. I would like to proved wrong but the pattern is looking depressingly similar to the Tumbler short-term profit tumble of last year. In the US last year the Tumbler was rocketing up to $300 straightaway and the Ewoks are enjoying an immediate growth on Amazon US also. Interesting to see if that will be sustained or will that initial price surge fall back like other recent UCS

Edited by Anomander
edit

5 hours ago, Mhd747 said:

My local Smyths got some "new" stock of EV, I could see at least 6 on shelves, plus more at back.  I'm personally still not convinced this will do well in short term (1-2 years), maybe long term (3+ years) but I'm definitely not willing to pay RRP for this set when there's so many better alternatives.

This is all IMO for UK perspective, US is obviously different.

20170126_174426.jpg

Saw these in smyths a few days ago as well.  Didnt bite after the tumbler tax of 2016.  That was my first lego set i paid rrp.

Opted for a cinderella (£5) & a thor costume (£10).  Might have to sell cinderella as its not elsa. 

Rumour has it certain Smyths stores that have 1 / 2 left on shelf are selling for less than RRP if you speak to manager and ask for discount. Did not work for my local Smyths when I tried for Pet shop nor for this set (as they had loads in stock) but no harm in trying if your local store has in stock.

• Like 1

Rumour has it certain Smyths stores that have 1 / 2 left on shelf are selling for less than RRP if you speak to manager and ask for discount. Did not work for my local Smyths when I tried for Pet shop nor for this set (as they had loads in stock) but no harm in trying if your local store has in stock.

I brought one last week from my local shop they had 3 left , after a long blag I got 20% off was hardest 20% ever lol I've bubble wrapped it up in a big box with packing and it's not seeing light for 3-4 years see how it dose

4 minutes ago, Lottieslego said:

I brought one last week from my local shop they had 3 left , after a long blag I got 20% off was hardest 20% ever lol I've bubble wrapped it up in a big box with packing and it's not seeing light for 3-4 years see how it dose emoji1303.png

Yep this is dependent on each manager at the store so will not work at everywhere. Several people have started reporting getting discounts on EV so thought I would give everyone the heads up before they stop doing it, or maybe Smyths will just put the set on discount soon.

• 3 weeks later...