10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

The bricklink data for this set is very similar to Sandcrawler, so I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say "overstocked" and "no demand".

Ewok Village:

supply / demand => 390/52 = 7.5

average sell price / RRP => 224.48€ / 249.99€ = 0.897

Sandcrawler:

supply / demand => 334/53 = 6.3

average sell price / RRP => 275.21€ / 299.99€ = 0.917

Ewok Village is a very nice set. I think it'll do just fine.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

The bricklink data for this set is very similar to Sandcrawler, so I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say "overstocked" and "no demand".

Ewok Village:

Sandcrawler:

Some people try to defend no buying this set due to their lack of money...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

It's funny because I can't help but think that if MPs had stopped thinking of UKIP and Farage as nothing more than 'blah blah beer' they wouldn't be in this clueless pickle. Farage may be controversial but he's better in tune to the publics views than any other British politician. We're in a new era now, one where the growing right are standing toe to toe with the left and winning. It started with Farage, now Trump, next will be Le Pen and others will follow. 

Weird, when I opened this thread I swore I thought I was opening a thread about the ewok village. Mods?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, c_rpg said:

Ewok Village:

Sandcrawler:

I agree, it's sort of in between a play set and a display piece. It also has a lot of minifigs (It's main strength). It hosts more iconic scenes than the SC in my opinion.

• Like 1

It's hands down one of my fav lego sets ever.  I think it's beautiful and iconic and they will never make anything like it again.  Does that mean they'll never make ewok's again or small sets with villages, who knows, but it won't be anything like this.  Saying it has no demand is inaccurate and even if it's not a huge seller, since when is that a bad thing.  Sometimes those are the sets that do the best.  It will take time, but this is a gem of a set. 

• Like 7

I have 17 of these.  Most were purchased back when exclusives didn't get discounted, so... yeah.  I paid too much.  Anyway, that was also back when the most recent retiring SW exclusives were SSD and R2.  Oh happy days.

Now the most recent retiring SW exclusive is Red 5, which can't break 40% over MSRP on eBay.  Ewok Village is similarly overpriced on a per-piece basis ($250 MSRP for ~2000 pcs), and rather than being one of the most iconic SW ships, it's a (spoiler alert) Ewok Village.  I'm guessing the target market for these post-retirement is rich kids (as in kids rather than adults).  None of my adult SW fan friends give a damn about ewoks.  Or Care Bears, or My Little Pony.  My hope for this set is essentially that it hit $300 in a few months so I can unload the bulk of mine without taking a loss.  SW playsets do not historically do very well relative to vehicles, and ewoks are in a class by themselves.  The closest equivalent I can think of would be the Battle of Endor (#8038), the price appreciation of which does not impress.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:03 AM, thebluewizard said:

I agree, it's sort of in between a play set and a display piece. It also has a lot of minifigs (It's main strength). It hosts more iconic scenes than the SC in my opinion.

It may actually beat the Sandcrawler while taking up literally half as much shelf space.  I'm thinking that many of my 16 Sandcrawlers (the $240 variety; I think these may only be a hold if you bought at the recent TRU sale) may shortly take a return flight back to Tatooine.

#7956 is about $60 on eBay (as far as sets that have actually sold) and retired four years ago, but still better than I thought.  That's interesting.  So it begs the question...  What's so terrible about Battle of Endor that, even with three ewoks (assuming the two ewoks did drive the value of Ewok Attack) and an AT-ST, it languishes at $150 (50% over MSRP) on eBay after five years (retired Winter 2011)?

Battle of Endor is currently at about 140€, which is 40% above MSRP. The question is: how long has it been at this price? If EV reaches 1.4x it's MSRP in 2-3 years I'd sell. That's 100€ per set net profit if you bought at a 20% discount. Makes for a CAGR of 12-18%. If it takes 5 years (like Battle of Endor), well that would be 7%.

I don't know why Battle of Endor hasn't increased further in price. I always liked this set. One of the few Star Wars sets to include a building. Maybe EV has kept the price down? Previously it was the only large set with multiple Ewoks. Now we have a new AT-ST as well, so that's not too good either.

1 hour ago, c_rpg said:

Battle of Endor is currently at about 140€, which is 40% above MSRP. The question is: how long has it been at this price? If EV reaches 1.4x it's MSRP in 2-3 years I'd sell. That's 100€ per set net profit if you bought at a 20% discount. Makes for a CAGR of 12-18%. If it takes 5 years (like Battle of Endor), well that would be 7%.

I don't know why Battle of Endor hasn't increased further in price. I always liked this set. One of the few Star Wars sets to include a building. Maybe EV has kept the price down? Previously it was the only large set with multiple Ewoks. Now we have a new AT-ST as well, so that's not too good either.

New AT-ST would help to explain the Battle of Endor's flatline. Without that, the set loses its luster. 

Not to say I don't like EV, but Ewoks are fairly low on the minifigure popularity scale. Logray is no Chewie (or whatever comparison one would make)

1 hour ago, c_rpg said:

Nobody seems to like SW buildings.  I mean, I do, but not my customers, and I don't buy from myself (although the Enron approach to accounting is always one way to go if you're feeling down about your recent sales).  Now EV is giant trees rather than a building, but...

When I was debating buying more 10236 at $175 (I just bought three at that price, to complement my other 14; I would have bought another 15 if I hadn't already owned the earlier purchases; that's just my personal quantity rule), my comparison sets were 10240 (most recently retired SW exclusive) 8038 (only other large Endor playset), and 75052 (most recently retired SW OT building-focused playset).  Those have all been lousy investments, which is to say they have not met my personal profit targets factoring in acquisition price and shelf space demands.  I did not actually invest in 8038 or 75052, but I have tracked them post-retirement.  I did not track 7956 until BrickLegacy mentioned it above, which may have been a mistake.  I had dismissed it as too small relative to 10236 to provide a useful comparison.

You could say that 10236 has hurt 8038, and probably it has, but then why has 7956 done so much better?  It is odd.  I think the 8038 ewoks are unprinted, making them less appealing than the ones in 7956 and 10236, so maybe that has something to do with it.  8038 also has twice as many sellers on eBay, which is never helpful (10236 has twice as many again, though obviously it's only just barely retired).

26 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

New AT-ST would help to explain the Battle of Endor's flatline. Without that, the set loses its luster. 

Not to say I don't like EV, but Ewoks are fairly low on the minifigure popularity scale. Logray is no Chewie (or whatever comparison one would make)

Who's this? Put the bold guy back on lol

i like ewok village, have sore but wished I had 5-10. IMO So different from other sets that no one can know for sure how it will perform EOL, especially nowadays, where different doesn't mean better, more $ necessarily.

48 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

This is exactly why I didnt bother picking up a B of E set for my collection. With the new AT-ST readily available for 20%+ off its hard to justify the older set at it's current selling price.

I personally love Ewok Village! It's a beautiful set. Really cool with all the "hidden stuff." I don't see much wrong with the box. Why all the hate on it? I, for one, think that this set will eventually perform well. I bought my set for a little less than RRP (i know, one of major no no's of Lego investing) so I have an even longer way to go to make anything. I am a small time investor (also a college student) so I don't have duplicates of any set and less that $1.4k invested.

I personally love Ewok Village! It's a beautiful set. Really cool with all the "hidden stuff." I don't see much wrong with the box. Why all the hate on it? I, for one, think that this set will eventually perform well. I bought my set for a little less than RRP (i know, one of major no no's of Lego investing) so I have an even longer way to go to make anything. I am a small time investor (also a college student) so I don't have duplicates of any set and less that $1.4k invested.

Burned by Death Star + hasn't retired yet = hate.

I agree, though. Great set. I'm a city/modular display guy and EV is the ONLY SW set I've bought. I'll gladly sell it for a tasty profit in 5 years, or break it out for an ecstatic 8-yr old boy. One way or another, it's a winner in my book.
  • Like 1

After a few days of no availability from standard retail channels, EV is already out-appreciating Red 5 on eBay (in absolute terms; $75 vs. $70 over MSRP shipped).  I picked up another bunch of these at $175 last week, so I've got 26 total.  We'll see what happens.  I had low expectations for EV until this week, but watching it trounce Sandcrawler has been unexpected and interesting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GhostDad said:

After a few days of no availability from standard retail channels, EV is already out-appreciating Red 5 on eBay (in absolute terms; $75 vs. $70 over MSRP shipped).  I picked up another bunch of these at $175 last week, so I've got 26 total.  We'll see what happens.  I had low expectations for EV until this week, but watching it trounce Sandcrawler has been unexpected and interesting.

I listed one locally this past weekend to shift money around.  They I saw availability, price trend, and delisted it.  Perhaps just the xmas demand push, but I'll sit and wait.  

5 hours ago, GhostDad said:

Tread lightly. A few other recent exclusives have popped and then fallen back after eol. 

Sandcrawler is still available from amz at rrp. 

Edited by marcandre