Updated Review Features/Editor and Review Contest!

With regard to charts. Some people's reviews consist mostly of a chart format which covers all sets in a theme and the CAGR or what have you. It seems that you can rack up a whole lot of points just for doing the charts because the review gets super long just listing each set. Is there a difference in the way they are scored, or are they more desirable than reviews which are all just a discussion of the set without the charts?

I like charts. I also like bullet points. I also like quality discussion. Don't underestimate the ability of Jeff and I to see the quality and creativity of various reviews. It takes all types and there are many ways to make a review interesting and worthy of our site. I don't want every review to be an Encyclopedia, nor do I want every review to be 1000 characters on the dot. Mix it up. Or don't. Do what works for you. Trying to fill the review with information to pad it with extra characters is acceptable to a degree, but don't get carried away.

Evaluation Corner articles are not for everyone. They should be left to people who can really write well and can ask an interesting question and come up with various angles on a given situation. People can win this contest with sheer volume, but the reviews all have to be quality and independent of one another. Don't get too hung up on the big number character reviews. Will they help a member? Yes. Are 4 smaller, quality reviews equal to one large one? Probably. Just do what works for you and let Jeff and I decide who wins. I'm throwing it out there right now...I'm going to add a BRICKPICKER MEMBER'S CHOICE AWARD besides the other awards. It will be for another large set. When the contest is over, I will take the TOP THIRTEEN REVIEW WRITERS(13 is my lucky number) WHO DID NOT WIN A MAJOR PRIZE(1st, 2nd,3rd) and let the entire community vote on it. The person with the most votes in a poll will win a set like a large Ninjago, City, Friends or Technic set in the $100 range. The 3 main winners will not qualify. How's them apples?

Yeeeeaaaah, so maybe I should have done an EC article on my Indy sets =P . I am working on another theme right now, I'll submit it in an EC style instead of ten reviews.

FYI, my job consists of me sitting at a computer for 8-10hrs so I have a note pad up and just jot stuff down every few minutes and on my breaks. I usually wait to submit my reviews until I have four or five done.

I just looked at my brick points and it seems that the character count is basing it off the charts because about 7,000 characters(at least) of each of my Indy sets were characters inside the charts. I didn't think to much of it, but maybe that should be taken into consideration when handing out the points. Feel free to either A. Deduct the appropriate points from my total or B. Issue 0 points per review sent from this point on until I equal out. I definitely don't want to cheat the system here.

Also, for the longest time I wrote reviews for movies on two High Definition forums. I was paid to write reviews and thus I did it as a part time job. Writing Lego reviews is similar, but definitely different. I try to get better with every set I review and I hope others feel I am as well. If you read my first reviews they are weak sauce. If you think I am slacking or need to add better/different content into a review let me know so I can fix it! My formula is basically: 1. My opinion of the set 2. Some basic info about it, possibly how unique it is and include what Lego's description of it was. 3. Compare it to other sets in either the same theme or similar priced items released the same year 4. Figure out from an investment point if this is or was a great investment. After-all this whole site is designed to help investors and I'd like to do my part as well.

Anyways, that was a lot of rambling. Bottom line is if I am turning in half ass reviews PLEASE let me know!

Also, I just noticed my spacing looks weird in some of my reviews. I wonder if that is from copying it from TextEdit to the form. I'll try and work that out, my bad.

Mike, your reviews are great. Other people can do what you do. Looking at your reviews individually, the charts work well. As a whole, they seem redundant, but that's fine because when a members looks at reviews for a set, they are looking at ONE review from you...not TEN. Everyone has their style. If people want to complain, let them. Jeff and I know the effort that went into them.

Also...I'm handing out Brickpoints like they are going out of style. That is a way to get a prize as well. I am not going to nickel and dime people over 10 or 20 points. I have 300 STAR WARS polybags sitting in my storage room and they have to go to someone. With all due respect, Grolim mentioned dollars per hour when writing reviews, then further explained his passion for LEGO bricks. Well I agree with him to a degree and there is some truth to that, but I would like to think it's about having your words being displayed to tens of thousands of LEGO fans across the world, than relating it to a job. Anything dealing with LEGO bricks is not a job in my book...but that's just me.

Whether its 12k or 17k, i personally don't care. I will look at my function for stripping the code. The tables are probably playing a part in it. All i know, its a lot of time and effort put in on his part. And as its been mention many times before, both Ed and I are not really looking at the character count once it gets to a certain point, its more about the quality and what you are doing to explain the set to other people as an investment or collection piece.

Yeah, I don't care at all either, just tryin to help answer Blackjack's query, hence the /shrug. I think Mike's reviews are great as well and I've been trying to read them all :) Especially the Indiana Jones ones which is a theme I've missed out on personally.

With all due respect, Grolim mentioned dollars per hour when writing reviews, then further explained his passion for LEGO bricks. Well I agree with him to a degree and there is some truth to that, but I would like to think it's about having your words being displayed to tens of thousands of LEGO fans across the world, than relating it to a job. Anything dealing with LEGO bricks is not a job in my book...but that's just me.

Totally agree man. It's not a job at all. It is great being able to share insights with so many other like minded people. lovin it.

Completely true about the charts taking a lot of time. They are actually the only part I dread when writing my reviews, but I find them necessary at some points. I can't imagine how long it takes to do one of those large ones or more than one like Mike has in his reviews, but I know it is probably a lot and for that alone, he deserves credit.

Yeeeeaaaah, so maybe I should have done an EC article on my Indy sets =P . I am working on another theme right now, I'll submit it in an EC style instead of ten reviews.

FYI, my job consists of me sitting at a computer for 8-10hrs so I have a note pad up and just jot stuff down every few minutes and on my breaks. I usually wait to submit my reviews until I have four or five done.

I just looked at my brick points and it seems that the character count is basing it off the charts because about 7,000 characters(at least) of each of my Indy sets were characters inside the charts. I didn't think to much of it, but maybe that should be taken into consideration when handing out the points. Feel free to either A. Deduct the appropriate points from my total or B. Issue 0 points per review sent from this point on until I equal out. I definitely don't want to cheat the system here.

Also, for the longest time I wrote reviews for movies on two High Definition forums. I was paid to write reviews and thus I did it as a part time job. Writing Lego reviews is similar, but definitely different. I try to get better with every set I review and I hope others feel I am as well. If you read my first reviews they are weak sauce. If you think I am slacking or need to add better/different content into a review let me know so I can fix it! My formula is basically: 1. My opinion of the set 2. Some basic info about it, possibly how unique it is and include what Lego's description of it was. 3. Compare it to other sets in either the same theme or similar priced items released the same year 4. Figure out from an investment point if this is or was a great investment. After-all this whole site is designed to help investors and I'd like to do my part as well.

Anyways, that was a lot of rambling. Bottom line is if I am turning in half ass reviews PLEASE let me know!

Also, I just noticed my spacing looks weird in some of my reviews. I wonder if that is from copying it from TextEdit to the form. I'll try and work that out, my bad.

Sorry for putting you on the spot. Great job with the Brickpoints! I'm sure that at the rate you're going, you'll be at the top of the leaderboard in a couple weeks or less! :P

Many people have been asking about including regular Brickvesting Blog articles towards the contest. Jeff and I talked and agreed that WE WILL ACCEPT BLOG ARTICLES, as well as SET REVIEWS and EVALUATION CORNER articles towards the contest.

Basically, any LEGO based, quality written content you provide for the BrickPicker site, we will count towards the contest:

1. LEGO SET REVIEWS

2. EVALUATION CORNER ARTICLES

3. BRICKVESTING BLOG ARTICLES

The SET REVIEWS should meet the requirements posted above. The EVALUATION & BLOG ARTICLES should be well written, with proper spelling and grammar, a minimum of 3 or 4 pages in length. Take a look at current examples to see what we want. I have received four excellent articles the last two days, so the bar is set high. PM Jeff or I with any ideas...

Hey - just wanted to chime in here. My hats off to you guys for coming up with such a fun and creative way to drive content on the site. I enjoy writing reviews anyway, so having the chance to "compete" while doing it is awesome. The prize lineup is killer btw. Also, if you guys have any constructive feedback on my reviews feel free to offer it. Cheers to all and let the review battle rage on RAWWWR!!!

Hey - just wanted to chime in here. My hats off to you guys for coming up with such a fun and creative way to drive content on the site. I enjoy writing reviews anyway, so having the chance to "compete" while doing it is awesome. The prize lineup is killer btw. Also, if you guys have any constructive feedback on my reviews feel free to offer it.

Cheers to all and let the review battle rage on RAWWWR!!!

Thanks...Don't forget that I added a BrickPicker Member's Choice award for non-winners. It will be like a $100 set and the TOP 13 members who entered the contest and didn't win a main prize will have an opportunity to win if the community votes for their reviews. I will run a poll and those 13 members will go head to head. It should be fun.

Thanks...Don't forget that I added a BrickPicker Member's Choice award for non-winners. It will be like a $100 set and the TOP 13 members who entered the contest and didn't win a main prize will have an opportunity to win if the community votes for their reviews. I will run a poll and those 13 members will go head to head. It should be fun.

When you say head to head, do you mean that after the contest is finished, these 13 members have to do more reviews against each other?

It may be that I'm having a blonde moment but the contest is going on right now right? I was a bit thrown off by the wording if somehow you meant it was a 1 day thing or not o_o... So it has started right now right?

When you say head to head, do you mean that after the contest is finished, these 13 members have to do more reviews against each other?

No, we will present the work of the remaining TOP 13 Reviewers to the BrickPicker community and everyone will get to vote on it. The original 3 winners will get their prizes and not be involved in this competition. It's like a another 3rd place prize. Maybe we will give away a B-Wing if we ever get them.

I just wanted to give members a quick update on articles that have been submitted to us for the contest. They are all excellent and well done. All are at least 5 pages(# 12 font, New Times Roman). The will be released in no particular order. It takes some time for Jeff and I to convert them to an article for the site, so please be patient, but all will be released before the contest is over....

Veegs: Creator House Evaluation Corner(EC) article

Quacs: Legends of Chima EC article

Strytlr: Parting Out Blog article

Mikeur86: Avengers EC article

Fcbarcelona101: LOTR EC article

Brianl3: Pick a Brick Blog article

adewar: Winter Village EC article

Fcbarcelona101: Architecture EC article

One other note...It is possible to take your personal reviews and use that information in a larger EC article. If you do this, it just can't be a copy and paste job. There has to be some new and fresh ideas mixed in as well. Thanks.

Those are sweet sounding articles! I particularly looking forward to the Creator House, Parting Out, and Pick a Brick ones. The Architecture article peaks my interest too. I like to see a fair assessment for the line and Fcbarcelona101 does write some good reviews!

All of these sound awesome! Looking forward to the Parting Out and Pick a Brick. Also am looking forward to the LOTR and Avengers one because I haven't invested in them yet. Veegs' sounds really good too, but I am biased because I really like his last one on the Friends theme. That was pretty good!

Those are sweet sounding articles! I particularly looking forward to the Creator House, Parting Out, and Pick a Brick ones. The Architecture article peaks my interest too. I like to see a fair assessment for the line and Fcbarcelona101 does write some good reviews!

That one I just finished today. I got to tell you it was particularly difficult since there are not really enough retired sets so far, but I hope you find it interesting!

Thanks for the compliments ;)

That one I just finished today. I got to tell you it was particularly difficult since there are not really enough retired sets so far, but I hope you find it interesting!

Thanks for the compliments ;)

No problem. I may even end up buying a few after reading it when posted! :-)

I just wanted to give members a quick update on articles that have been submitted to us for the contest. They are all excellent and well done. All are at least 5 pages(# 12 font, New Times Roman). The will be released in no particular order. It takes some time for Jeff and I to convert them to an article for the site, so please be patient, but all will be released before the contest is over....

TheOrcKing: Planet Set EC article

One other note...It is possible to take your personal reviews and use that information in a larger EC article. If you do this, it just can't be a copy and paste job. There has to be some new and fresh ideas mixed in as well. Thanks.

We have a new contestant!!!:roll: