Updated Review Features/Editor and Review Contest!

THE BRICKPICKER LEGO SET REVIEW/BLOG ARTICLE CONTEST IS HERE!!!

Jeff and I are proud to announce this contest for all registered BrickPicker members. It will be based on LEGO set reviews, Evalution Corner and Blog articles. We will judge the winners on several aspects, such as overall quantity, content and quality. We will take into consideration the quantity of reviews and articles you submit and the content and quality of those reviews/articles/blogs. Just because you pump out more reviews than other members, if your content and quality are subpar or very average, we can elect someone else the winner.

The basic BrickPicker Set Review will be accepted at 1000 characters. No less. Unlike the earlier Set Review version, you will be required to submit content for each of the 10 basic categories below:

First Impression(WOW Factor) & Introduction

An introduction and first impression of the LEGO set. Does the LEGO set "WOW" you? Is it or will it be an "iconic" LEGO set? When you see this set, you say to yourself, "I just have to have one!?

Unique Parts/Minifigures

Does the LEGO set have rare or unique minifigures? Are there rare parts/colors in the set? Does the set have a large amount of minifigures or parts that make it more desirable?

Playability/Build Experience

Does the set have elements that make it an extremely "fun" set to play with or to build, thus affecting it's popularity and future viability as an investment?

Value for money(new)

Is the set a bargain? Does the set give you a "bang for your buck" when considering piece to price ratio or is the price of the set extremely high priced for the amount of pieces included? This rating also plays into LEGO collectors/investors who like to "part out" LEGO sets to make money...Could the set be used to "part out for a profit"?

Theme Popularity

Is the LEGO set from a popular LEGO theme that sells well in the primary retail LEGO market and will most likely translate to positive growth in the secondary LEGO market?

Exclusivity

Is the set an "exclusive" set and is marked accordingly so? Is the set limited in production in any way? Is the set from a Toy Fair or Comic Con or other LEGO trade show that has limited production runs?

Packaging

Does the set have unique packaging that makes it stand out from the typical LEGO set? Does the set have special markings on the box that differentiate it from other LEGO sets?

Growth Potential

What is the potential growth of this set in the secondary LEGO market? Will this set appreciate or depreciate after being retired(EOL)?

Display Attributes

Does this set when built display well? Is it a topic of conversation when built and displayed in a office or den? Does it make for an impressive or unique set when compared with other LEGO set

Final Analysis & Conclusion

Your overall final impression of the set, taking into consideration all the above factors. A final synopsis or conclusion about the LEGO set. The numerical rating is for the entire set, with a 10 being the ?perfect? LEGO set, a 5-6 being about average and a 1 being the bottom of the barrel.

Each category can range from a sentence to several paragraphs if necessary. The combined total for all the category content needs to be 1000 characters to be accepted. You will be asked to leave a numerical 1 to 10 rank for each category as well, with 4,5 and 6 being considered "average" LEGO set rankings. You do not have to own a set to review one, but it would help and this will be noted on each review. Here is a sample of a REVIEW I did for the 10227 UCS B-Wing Starfighter. It is a 5000 character review and I would consider it an above average review. You can do more or less, but proper grammar and spelling is also important.

We will take a snapshot of the current review totals and start from there. A BrickPicker member can look over their personal reviews in our new REVIEW LOG. You will have the ability to resubmit an older review and improve it, with it counting towards the contest. Jeff and I will approve or disapprove each resubmission. What is neat about the new review system is that Jeff and I will be able to award BONUS BRICKPOINTS for above average and special reviews. A basic 1000 character review will be awarded 10 Brickpoints, but we can give up to 500 Brickpoints or more for some in depth and special reviews.

The contest will start immediately and conclude at 11:59 PM(Eastern Time) on July 3rd, 2013. There will be three main prizes:

1ST PLACE: 10228 HAUNTED HOUSE or $200 LEGO GIFT CARD

2ND PLACE: 10232 PALACE CINEMA or $150 LEGO GIFT CARD

3RD PLACE: 9516 JABBA'S PALACE or $100 LEGO GIFT CARD

We will adjust all prizes to the winner's country and situation. Jeff and I understand that some members have to pay more for LEGO sets and we will adapt to each situation. We have the right to change the prizes to equivalent LEGO sets if these become retired or out of stock.

There will also be four $25 LEGO GIFT CARDS given out to those exceptional reviews in which I can convert to content for the EVALUATION CORNER. One person can win them all. Look at my reviews for an example of what I am looking for. You do not have to go through the normal review processor if it is easier to produce a large and quality review and analysis on a word processor like OPEN OFFICE(which I use). If you are doing a "special" review, you can contact me. I can guide you. What I don't want is something I have to rewrite. It needs to be quality content and properly written. I can tweak it and help with data and charts, but the overall written content needs to be very, very good.

Depending on the response, we can throw in some other prizes along the way. Maybe some "Honorable Mentions" or some other prize for some review or content that tickles my fancy. This is a serious competition and Jeff and I want the content of the LEGO set reviews to become a very important part of our site. Unlike the quality reviews on top sites like Brickset or Eurobricks, I want our reviews to focus on aspects of LEGO sets that will affect its "investment" potential and value. You can discuss anything you want, but you should have a serious investment correlation in your reviews when discussing many of the categories. The basic categories are set up like an essay, with an introduction, body & content and then a conclusion. Think of the reviews in proper English class terms and you will do well.

That's about it. Good luck with your reviews and any questions can be posted below. Winners will be announced on July 4th, 2013. Thanks.

Ed Mack

EDIT: JEFF AND I WILL ALSO ACCEPT EVALUATION CORNER/BLOG ARTICLES TOWARDS THE CONTEST AS WELL!!!

Phew! I just finished my very first review using the new setup and I got to say that the format is freakin' sweet! It cannot see it being any easier or better than that! The new review format was perfect! I especially love how you can see a preview of your review before sending it in.

Amazing job, Jeff and Ed!!!! Someone give these guys a cookie! A whole batch of them even! :-)

THE BRICKPICKER LEGO SET REVIEW CONTEST IS HERE!!!

Jeff and I are proud to announce this contest for all registered BrickPicker members. It will be based on LEGO set reviews. We will judge the winners on several aspects, such as overall quantity, content and quality. We will take into consideration the quantity of reviews you submit and the content and quality of those reviews. Just because you pump out more reviews than other members, if your content and quality are subpar or very average, we can elect someone else the winner.

Thanks for the incentive! Are the three main prizes based off one review, or a large number of exceptional reviews from one member? I really appreciate all the time and money you guys put into this site! :)

Blackjack, please go over Ed's notes in his long explanation of what its all about and how it works. It took him time to put that together and now he will be crushed that you didn't understand it. He will be very sad :(

Basically, don't worry about what it will take. Just do super kick butt reviews and see what happens. You can even go back and enhance old ones if there were sets there that you really want to talk about.

Edit..Thanks Mos_Eisley :)

I have an idea for an extra incentive which I'm sure you guys have already thought up. You could have review badges near a members avatar on the forums which represent the number of qualifying reviews total, and also extra level ups for review quality, length, and how many times they got into the evaluation corner. I'm not expecting to get any of these, but it would be pretty cool! There could be review levels for revies like the forums post levels, but with more lenient requirements, such as 50 reviews for level two, 100 for level three, 200 for level four... Just a thought...

Blackjack, please go over Ed's notes in his long explanation of what its all about and how it works. It took him time to put that together and now he will be crushed that you didn't understand it. He will be very sad :(

Basically, don't worry about what it will take. Just do super kick butt reviews and see what happens. You can even go back and enhance old ones if there were sets there that you really want to talk about.

Edit..Thanks Mos_Eisley :)

Sorry.

-- No problem, just kidding with you!!

Jeff

I have an idea for an extra incentive which I'm sure you guys have already thought up. You could have review badges near a members avatar on the forums which represent the number of qualifying reviews total, and also extra level ups for review quality, length, and how many times they got into the evaluation corner. I'm not expecting to get any of these, but it would be pretty cool! There could be review levels for revies like the forums post levels, but with more lenient requirements, such as 50 reviews for level two, 100 for level three, 200 for level four...

Just a thought...

There are more features and changes in the works. Some ideas like this.

I just want to say that we have already received a handful of new reviews done in the new format and boy what a difference they are compared to the old. Great job so we will be approving them shortly, but this really made me happy to see them come together like this.

I have an idea for an extra incentive which I'm sure you guys have already thought up. You could have review badges near a members avatar on the forums which represent the number of qualifying reviews total, and also extra level ups for review quality, length, and how many times they got into the evaluation corner. I'm not expecting to get any of these, but it would be pretty cool! There could be review levels for revies like the forums post levels, but with more lenient requirements, such as 50 reviews for level two, 100 for level three, 200 for level four...

Just a thought...

We have something very special planned for this. Trust me. It's already in the works.

There could be several ways to win this contest...or at least get a prize. Maybe one way would be by producing so many decent reviews( I mean...A LOT), we have no choice but to give a member a prize. You can also produce several TOP NOTCH reviews that equal my content in the Evaluation Corner. There are many ways to skin this cat as they say. Quantity vs. Quality or Quantity and Quality. We will be tracking total reviews and total characters and Jeff and I note special reviews for later judging by us.