Updated Review Features/Editor and Review Contest!

Cmon, don't stop now! Do more, you're reviews are great! ;) In fact, the majority of reviews have been great, and have pointed out some under the radar sets to me. I'm writing a bunch of reviews, but my quality is starting to deteriotrate because I'm stressed LOL. Let's go everyone, final 14ish hours!

Last for the contest I mean. I'll keep writing them, just at a slower pace with no pressure lol. I knew you were probably holding a lot of reviews to submit today. Good job!

Guest eightbrick

Last for the contest I mean. I'll keep writing them, just at a slower pace with no pressure lol. I knew you were probably holding a lot of reviews to submit today. Good job!

Unfortunately not. I pride myself as a skilled procrastinator (I often do huge school projects the morning before :P), but I think I might have waited a bit to long this time xD I'm basically going to be at my computer for the next 14 hours LOL

Guest eightbrick

And then you'll lose your connection and miss the chance to submit them lol. Be careful.

True. I hate my internet. Actually I think my computer is the problem. It ruined a review before it was auto-saved awhile ago with the blue screen of death ;-; Darned technology!

Guest eightbrick

My goodness, you guys really pulled all the the stops for your last couple reviews! Great reads FCBarcelona and Grolim! I should just give up LOL

It's going to be tough.  There is a nice mix of quantity vs quality.  At some point tomorrow morning, Jeff will give me a character count total and total for top reviews and we will go from there.  I will announce the Review Contest winners sometime tomorrow night most likely.

Guest eightbrick

It's going to be tough.  There is a nice mix of quantity vs quality.  At some point tomorrow morning, Jeff will give me a character count total and total for top reviews and we will go from there.  I will announce the Review Contest winners sometime tomorrow night most likely.

Exciting! Although I think I can already guess the winning trio  xD

C'mon people final push just write a couple more reviews! :D

Guest eightbrick

Who do you think is going to win the review contest.

I have a pretty good idea of who is probably going to win. Not sure we should go around announcing it in this public forum though; if someone we don't mention wins, they may feel hurt or something. Plus, I would feel bad if I doubted someone and they won. *shrug* But yeah, I think everyone is just looking at the top quantity of reviews at this point.

I have a pretty good idea of who is probably going to win. Not sure we should go around announcing it in this public forum though; if someone we don't mention wins, they may feel hurt or something. Plus, I would feel bad if I doubted someone and they won. *shrug*

Good point, Brian.  I will be using this advice as well.

Guest eightbrick

Putting together a last minute review, and am wondering... How do you insert an image into the review?

First, upload the picture to a photo sharing site such as flickr or photobucket (both are free). Then right click where you want to put it in the review and click "insert/edit image". You will be asked to make an image title and put in the link for the image. The picture will now show (pushes red staples button :D).

Jeff also added some nice features like the ability to put a border around the image and resize it. I recommend that you don't make the image too large (I try to keep mine around 600/400). Good luck!

I have a pretty good idea of who is probably going to win. Not sure we should go around announcing it in this public forum though; if someone we don't mention wins, they may feel hurt or something. Plus, I would feel bad if I doubted someone and they won. *shrug* But yeah, I think everyone is just looking at the top quantity of reviews at this point.

I'm not looking at quantity, because FCB has lots of big, quality ones, and Grolim has also been going full throttle with his polybags! I honestly have no idea who will win besides FCB.

Guest eightbrick

I know there is already a topic for award suggestions but I thought this would be more relevant here... just a little idea for an award for all participants in the review contest, regardless of whether they win anything or not. Even if a person only did one review, they still contributed and should get at least some recognition for that.

Anyway, my dad is going to be home soon and I'll probably get punted off the computer so I'll just say good job and good luck to all right now. Thanks Ed and Jeff for running the contest, it was what really got me involved in the community and was a lot of fun. Bye for now!

These are the articles and blogs that have been submitted for the Content Contest ending August 1, 2013.   The color designations are as follows:

• green(Evaluation Corner article)
  • orange(Brickvesting Blog article) 
  • blue(Personal/Community Blog)
  • red(articles ready to be published)
  • purple(ideas for potential articles)

Veegs: EC article on Creator Houses(500 BrickPoints)

Quacs: EC article on Legends of Chima(500 BrickPoints)

Strylr: BB article on Parting Out sets(500 BrickPoints)

Mikeur86: Avengers EC article(500 BrickPoints)

Quacs: LEGO Truths and Myths Blog  BB article(500 BrickPoints)

Fcbarcelona101:  Personal Blog  on December price swings(200 BrickPoints)

Quacs: Personal Blog on Sydney Opera House(150 BrickPoints)

MartinP: Personal Blog on 10240 X-wing(50 BrickPoints)

Alcarin: Personal Blog on Europe LEGO price difference(150 BrickPoints)

Quacs: Beginner

Guest eightbrick

Thanks for all these updates Ed. One question, how will you be judging the review contest. It end tonight.

As Ed has stated several times in this thread, judging will be done based on quantity (character count), the quality of the reviews (how useful they are), with extra points going to the reviews he has marked as "special".  Him and Jeff expect to be finished tallying up the results by the end of tommorrow. In addition to the three top prizes, they also have some honorable mentions and possibly viewer's choice awards for special reviews. I hope that cleared up things for you.

Guest eightbrick

Thanks, i did not see that thread before. must have missed it.

?

You just posted in "that thread" (yes, I'm talking about this thread, "updated review features contest")

We will take a snapshot of the current review totals and start from there. A BrickPicker member can look over their personal reviews in our new REVIEW LOG. You will have the ability to resubmit an older review and improve it, with it counting towards the contest. Jeff and I will approve or disapprove each resubmission. What is neat about the new review system is that Jeff and I will be able to award BONUS BRICKPOINTS for above average and special reviews. A basic 1000 character review will be awarded 10 Brickpoints, but we can give up to 500 Brickpoints or more for some in depth and special reviews.

The contest will start immediately and conclude at 11:59 PM(Eastern Time) on July 3rd, 2013. There will be three main prizes:

1ST PLACE: 10228 HAUNTED HOUSE or $200 LEGO GIFT CARD

2ND PLACE: 10232 PALACE CINEMA or $150 LEGO GIFT CARD

3RD PLACE: 9516 JABBA'S PALACE or $100 LEGO GIFT CARD

We will adjust all prizes to the winner's country and situation. Jeff and I understand that some members have to pay more for LEGO sets and we will adapt to each situation. We have the right to change the prizes to equivalent LEGO sets if these become retired or out of stock.

There will also be four $25 LEGO GIFT CARDS given out to those exceptional reviews in which I can convert to content for the EVALUATION CORNER. One person can win them all. Look at my reviews for an example of what I am looking for. You do not have to go through the normal review processor if it is easier to produce a large and quality review and analysis on a word processor like OPEN OFFICE(which I use). If you are doing a "special" review, you can contact me. I can guide you. What I don't want is something I have to rewrite. It needs to be quality content and properly written. I can tweak it and help with data and charts, but the overall written content needs to be very, very good.

Depending on the response, we can throw in some other prizes along the way. Maybe some "Honorable Mentions" or some other prize for some review or content that tickles my fancy. This is a serious competition and Jeff and I want the content of the LEGO set reviews to become a very important part of our site. 

Right here...first post.