41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Not a fair trade at all.....the SSD is commanding well over 500 bucks right now. Msrp is no consideration since the set it out of stock everywhere.

See, I hadn't checked eBay EU prices. It's leaning now more towards 10210 instead of 41999 as those prices seem to be closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• 3 weeks later...

I hope nobody wants these.. that uk guy is a con artist. Sold him a few 41999 .. he tried the box scam on me saying it came damaged and sent me pictures of punctured hole same picture he prob. sent everyone else and wanted almost half the money back. I hope these crash and burn and he loses all his money 

Same here. I told him that he was welcome to ship them back to me at his cost and upon receipt I'd refund him as I could sell them for more than I'd be left with otherwise. No response after that.

I guess people lost interest in the set. I wanted one when it initially came out, but I don't want one anymore. The 9398 Crawler looks very similar to it. I think that if an exclusive set doesn't look like another set, it would be worth more now.

Exactly.... it was an overhyped set really....it still is actually by majority....

Even with 20k exclusive production line it wil lbe hard for it to reach anything near 1000$ as son predicted.....

I guess people lost interest in the set. I wanted one when it initially came out, but I don't want one anymore. The 9398 Crawler looks very similar to it. I think that if an exclusive set doesn't look like another set, it would be worth more now.

Technic junkies also have their fill with some really cool sets in the last 12 months and next few months (like that Volvo loader). I kept two and I plan on building at least one someday and personally I have zero interest in 9398. I think it's fugly.

This should be a fun thread. A couple of points.

- Let's realize we are criticizing a set that is up nearly 100% from MSRP in one year. I think it's just a strange growth curve, if it had been linear upward people would be pretty stoked in the growth right now.

- The point about the other crawler is a good one. When that is gone I think this creeps up again.

- The biggest wild card of all is whether this is a one and done or not. If they continue this as a series - imagine like the modulars, but limited edition designs - then those who held onto these are going to score big time. If they had only built one modular and been done with it, I'm sure it would still be valuable, but a big part of it is being first in the series. 

• Like 1

- Let's realize we are criticizing a set that is up nearly 100% from MSRP in one year. I think it's just a strange growth curve, if it had been linear upward people would be pretty stoked in the growth right now.

I can criticize this point because the set was up 100% from MSRP within a few weeks of the set being released.

• Like 1

Ya he was scamming people to get a discount.

I know some of what went on was controversial, but I think it's important to note that this buyer never asked me for any money back and given current prices he should have. I also packed like they were made of glass given their long journey overseas.

One of the sets I sold him had some pin holes from those stupid galaxy squad freebies, maybe he sent you pictures of that one?

Which UK guy? I ask since I want to make sure I don't sell to the guy and have issues

PM sent... we probably really should avoid discussing him in the forums, it usually doesn't turn out well.

What I'm curious about is how many are really selling for that price? Is it just the occasional one? Given what I paid for mine in Canada, even with the current exchange it's not worth selling what I have left. My magic number starts around $450 where the profit matches my expectations.

I can criticize this point because the set was up 100% from MSRP within a few weeks of the set being released.

That's my point, due to the fact it jumped immediately, it makes it a little stranger that it's flat for a number of months, but for a normal yearly ROI I'm still happy holding it. Clearly ongoing demand hasn't been high enough to push the price up, but when supply dries up a bit more I think the price will climb. I would surmise that the people buying at $380 a year ago were collectors/investors who didn't want to miss the bandwagon. Now those people are probably people who want to build it, so supply will keep going down. This will also be a weird one as I would expect the investor to builder ratio is much higher than a normal set. 

• Like 1

This will also be a weird one as I would expect the investor to builder ratio is much higher than a normal set. 

I agree. A lot of investors got this set because it was a limited edition, but there are a lot less people who want to build this set because it is Technic.

There was a small window to make quite a bit of money on this set last year, since then it has pretty much closed. The demand that was present is gone. It`s a set that went way up quickly, came down, then very slowly has risen again. For those who still have some, it`s likely over Christmas there will be some kind of increase in buyers, there always is. 

There was a small window to make quite a bit of money on this set last year, since then it has pretty much closed. The demand that was present is gone. It`s a set that went way up quickly, came down, then very slowly has risen again. For those who still have some, it`s likely over Christmas there will be some kind of increase in buyers, there always is. 

The one who shall not be named for UK was responsible for much of that small window. So this was a rather unique case

I still think the future is bright for this set.  It might take longer than earlier thought.  It is a case in which the original Crawler took away some interest and buyers.  Also, it's a Technic set, which only interests half the LEGO fans.  If you have the time, this set will reward you.  

Everyone's buddy, Mark, or his minions, made a mistake by just not being upfront with Jeff and I.  If he wanted to buy up 41999s for $400-$500, he should have just approached us with an offer to advertise his offer to members.  He used all sorts of BS and fake accounts to get the word out.  Paybacks are a b*tch as they say...