Musical Picks

TheOrcKing

A new album by Brazilian heavy metal videogame cover band, Megadriver, is out and available for download free of course titled "Double K.O.". As you can imagine, it mainly contains tracks in various fighting games from Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, King Of Fighters, Killer Instinct, to Eternal Champions, Soul Edge, Fighting Masters, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and more. Friggin' sweet. :rock:

• 2 weeks later...

In a perhaps not-too-distant future, a furious race to develop superior A.I. has led to possibly the greatest threat mankind has ever known of Cybrids (cybernetic hybrids) under rule of the original genesis project Prometheus. To combat this dire force, the human race must resort back to the war machines from before "The Fire" called HERCULANs (Humaniform-Emulation Roboticized Combat Unit with Leg-Articulated Navigation) or 'HERCs' for short.

Most people are usually more familiar with the MechWarrior series but I wonder if anyone remembers playing this classic computer series of Earthsiege. I still have the third sequel titled Starsiege and the entire Tribes offshoot that soon followed. The gameplay is still fun albeit a bit aged (ha) and the music makes good listening. Well anyway, here is a link to the soundtrack for the very first title "Metaltech: Earthsiege" (which were midi tracks more or less) plus a playlist for "Earthsiege 2" down below. The tracks for Earthsiege 2 may have some noticeable hissing and sporadic crackling in a few spots which can be expected of being taken from a pretty old cd of a pc game.

bp_1421260217__earthsiege.jpg

Metaltech: Earthsiege

Earthsiege 2

Ahh I missed playing these mech battle games (MechWarrior or EarthSiege).  Nothing more satisfying than going to battle with 3 lightweight mechs and coming home with a 85% percent intact medium-weight mech in tow.  Then dominate the next few missions using the overpowered mech :D

Edited by Darth_Raichu

Ahh I missed playing these mech battle games (MechWarrior or EarthSiege).  Nothing more satisfying than going to battle with 3 lightweight mechs and coming home with a 85% percent intact medium-weight mech in tow.  Then dominate the next few missions using the overpowered mech :D

My strategy in the hangar was always guns, guns, and more guns especially with the light to medium range mechs. Assault and heavy I tried to max speed with a few good weapons and ammo. In MechWarrior 2 I had fun with pretty much any weapon, MechWarrior 3 was mainly large lasers and PPCs, MechWarrior 4 I'm not really sure (mostly autocannons I think). Things got to a point where missiles didn't seem that effective anymore. My memory is a bit foggy on the specific tech layouts really. I did love creating those bizarre setups for "instant action" like a fast mech packed with nothing but flamers and heat sinks. Fire them all off at once, the enemy blows up from the heat and sometimes (or a lot) so did I. :lol:
  • Like 1

My strategy in the hangar was always guns, guns, and more guns especially with the light to medium range mechs. Assault and heavy I tried to max speed with a few good weapons and ammo. In MechWarrior 2 I had fun with pretty much any weapon, MechWarrior 3 was mainly large lasers and PPCs, MechWarrior 4 I'm not really sure (mostly autocannons I think). Things got to a point where missiles didn't seem that effective anymore. My memory is a bit foggy on the specific tech layouts really. I did love creating those bizarre setups for "instant action" like a fast mech packed with nothing but flamers and heat sinks. Fire them all off at once, the enemy blows up from the heat and sometimes (or a lot) so did I. :lol:

Lol I obviously sniped a lot.  Why risking close range damages when well aimed shots / missiles to the legs gained you much much more valuable booty ? ;)

Lol I obviously sniped a lot. Why risking close range damages when well aimed shots / missiles to the legs gained you much much more valuable booty ? ;)

There's why the PPC and gauss rifles were awesome from MechWarrior 3 afterwards where either fired more like the railgun from Quake 3 instead of a ball sprite thing that flew from your mech in MechWarrior 2 usually missing the target by a mile defeating the purpose of being long-range to begin with. I usually went with the PPC despite the intense heat build-up since ammo was unlimited but the gauss rifle did pack one hell of a down-on-their-back-with-one-shot punch. Hit a light mech with the gauss rifle and BOOM! Long-range missiles are great fun if you can keep some distance but anywhere near close proximity and they typically just crash into the environment trying to hit the enemy target. In any case, the sudden pow from a volley of PPCs or gauss rifles to a joint or cockpit followed by a myriad of explosions was more satisfying to me.