Recommended YouTube LEGO channels, blogs, websites, etc

ponderingzissou

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

His collection is small and insignificant. He won't be concerned with being banned on SAH

His RRP is misleading and his overvaluations are going to cause even more dipwads to get into this

image.png.bf379053006543381196ae7f7c5308b9.png

I'm going to pivot on my investments now. I'm done with plastic bricks. Can someone tell me which exchange I can use to buy puts on his hairline? 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

this is like the third time we have seen mainstream financial media get into the bricks as investment. 

we had forbes in 2019 - https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonmoore/2019/09/28/lego-sets-see-strong-returns-for-investors-beating-wine-cars-and-art/?sh=799aee7871ec

2015 was the first really big lego better than gold investing rush - https://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/28/is-lego-a-better-investment-than-gold.html

seems like its on a 3-4 year cycle.

• Like 1

Magic the Gathering has faced similar fears of people investing in it. Arguably a much easier thing to store and sell and not nearly as "consumable". It hasn't really impacted it yet. Realistically this guy and most "investors" hold more sets than they sell, eventually they realize they have too much and find 3rd party outlets to dump it. Next time i see one of these videos I hope @redcell or @Raven is on WSJ showing us how they do it.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Magic the Gathering has faced similar fears of people investing in it. Arguably a much easier thing to store and sell and not nearly as "consumable". It hasn't really impacted it yet. Realistically this guy and most "investors" hold more sets than they sell, eventually they realize they have too much and find 3rd party outlets to dump it. Next time i see one of these videos I hope @redcell or @Raven is on WSJ showing us how they do it.

That information is only for their Patreon subscribers at $100/month tier..  🤫🤫🤫🤫

3 hours ago, landphieran said:

No chance of it being me.  I live my life according to the philosophical principles of Disco Stu:

10 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

As usual a collector who funds his hobby with some sales and brags about it on YouTube. Bravo.

I would really pay a (small) fee to see the operation of @ravenb99or @redcellor @landphieran - to see if I am on the right track or just watch some lego warehousepron and see what I can improve.

Edited by Sozial
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Like to give a shout out to one channel I have recently started watching for the past month or so, The Dyslexic Geak Lego channel

Comes across as a real nice, genuine Lego fan, clearly has been collecting for a long while given some of the sets he has, some I haven't seen for years. Love his Lego room, so often all I see on these types of videos are huge great big Lego rooms that are difficult to replicate due to how big they are, his set up is nice looks like the type of Lego room I can realistically hope for. Has a decent collection of sealed sets. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I came across this series called LEGO Rewind where each video looks back to classic themes, what they were about and how they changed the brand going forward. With a playlist reaching almost fifty clips averaging roughly ten minutes each, this can take a while to browse through. Not really a LEGO focused channel but these at least deserved a mention.

• Like 2

Came across the channel of a very serious LEGO collector called DuckBricks. Dude has a massive collection covering every inch of the walls and even the ceiling. He does set reviews, reveals, some interviews, and other odd bits. Somewhat similar to the LEGO Rewind series I previously mentioned, DuckBricks has one of his own with LEGO Lookbacks though primarily focused on just the sets themselves.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

Found a new channel called Bricked to Perfection mostly centered around looking over the large-scale builds for adults LEGO has been cranking out. (Also, the LEGO Ideas program.) The production quality and overall presentation is quite good. His reviews of the BrickLink Designer Program are what caught my eye.

Sorry, but as soon as I heard “Patreon Members” in the first 10 seconds I bailed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

Shots fired!

Points she made:
There was not that many people doing it
supply and demand
storage concerns
not getting enough money for the effort put in
hype sets being overbought
re-releases and consistent upgrades

She ain't wrong. It's why I was an avid reader of those terrible Facebook groups. Overwhelmingly they have no idea what they are doing, just hype each other. There is one particular old guy there that responds with decent advice, and I can't imagine why he's dumb enough to try and provide tips to direct competition and kill his revenue stream.

I can't count how many times I saw the AAT or Carnage "helmet" hyped. "Carnage will be bigger than the TIE Helmet" was common there. That set barely went on discount because they gobbled it up at RRP, and it sits at $10 over RRP on Bricklink and barely higher on eBay.  Target did great on it. Once they had a hype train on a set I'd jump off it. 

It's not just the number of sets bought, but the sheer number of people buying them. 

• Like 1

It true, she's not wrong on a lot of things.  I just find it hypocritical that she blasts reselling in 2023 while admitting that she resells herself.  She says LEGO isn't better than gold when I sold $40k of gold and silver in 2016 and have had a better run than what I would have if I didn't sell it.  Not to mention she has a buddy with over 500k subs who resells Star Wars LEGO so who is she really punching at?  She never even mentions amazon as a platform to resell but lists every other one along with WhatNot which she seems to have a personal grudge with.  Instead of making a video about how this is a great time to buy retired sets because the prices are lower than they ever have been, she decides to punch down.  I mean, I think it's pathetic that a lot of these female influencers attempt to make themselves look ten years younger and have a "O face" on their thumbnails, not sure what demographic they are trying to capture, but you don't see me making a YT video about it.

35 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

It true, she's not wrong on a lot of things.  I just find it hypocritical that she blasts reselling in 2023 while admitting that she resells herself.  She says LEGO isn't better than gold when I sold $40k of gold and silver in 2016 and have had a better run than what I would have if I didn't sell it.  Not to mention she has a buddy with over 500k subs who resells Star Wars LEGO so who is she really punching at?  She never even mentions amazon as a platform to resell but lists every other one along with WhatNot which she seems to have a personal grudge with.  Instead of making a video about how this is a great time to buy retired sets because the prices are lower than they ever have been, she decides to punch down.  I mean, I think it's pathetic that a lot of these female influencers attempt to make themselves look ten years younger and have a "O face" on their thumbnails, not sure what demographic they are trying to capture, but you don't see me making a YT video about it.

Perhaps she didn't make a video about how this is a great time to buy retired sets because it isn't a great time to buy retired sets.  As far as I'm concerned, she basically hit the nail on the head.  There are more sellers than there have ever been and the resale market is saturated to the point that it's harder to make money these days than it was in years past.  There have been a few bright spots with sets that have retired over the last few years, but far fewer than there were for sets that retired before 2020.  I've been amused at watching how the content made by the people who are trying to monetize their knowledge of LEGO investing...it's a lot harder to come up with constant O face-worthy content when retired sets aren't popping left and right like they used to.  Someday those people are going to wake up and realize that the money they could have made if they had kept their mouth shut is far greater than whatever money they made from their ancillary revenue streams creating content.  Their egos wouldn't be as well fed in that counterfactual, but their bank accounts would be much fatter.

I'm sure you did great if you sold gold in 2016 and invested the proceeds into LEGO, but how much of that came in 2016-2020 vs. 2021-2023?

Finally...did she run over your dog or dump you or something?  The sexist attacks on her were as uncalled for as they were stupid.

• Like 2