Recommended YouTube LEGO channels, blogs, websites, etc

ponderingzissou

Someone recommended their new favorite LEGO youtube channel (Emmasaurus) on another thread. Thought why not start a place so that others can share their faves with others, discover new ones, and/or chat about it all? 

Please consider that eventually that the faces behind these channels and websites are people with feelings. AND they may eventually stumble upon this thread AND we all have varying opinions and expectations of such channels and websites. Some search for reviews, others for investment discussions, for moc ideas, etc. 

I'll kick it off by saying that Emmasaurus is NOT my fave BUT her videos are positive and better than most I've seen.

I'll admit I've "listened" to a few while sorting LEGO. She's upbeat and positive which can benefit us all (promoting others to buy and collect). 

My two new faves are:

HighTeaToys (mostly Harry Potter and LOTR)

And Hachiroku24 (great small moc builds)

Edited by ponderingzissou
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now this is a good new thread for a Lego forum (not that what type of oil do you use in your lawnmower crap) and I am surprised we don’t already have one. I was always a The Brick Show and Jang loyalist but brick show as we knew it went away, and Jang has morphed into a twitch streamer but I still like his unbiased reviews if it comes to deciding to buy a set to build. 

I had recommended Emmasauras when she first came out as a breath of fresh air but she like many of the other streamers seem to follow a cookie cutter playbook to get into LAN and then their channel changes to clickbait thumbnails and I stop watching. 

I will checkout the 2 you posted tonight. This one is good not sure how she has 10K subscribers but so few views. She is in LAN and has some haters that thumbs down her videos before they would even have had time to watch them. I will look at my others there is one guy that is really good but he is sponsored by lego. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pseudoty! Potterminfigpals did a collab with someone and I think it may have been the channel that you suggested. I had meant to check for more of their content but forgot the channel name. 

I also used to watch The Brick Show (that opening "BRICKSHOW!" was certainly cringy). I still turn to Jang for reviews. He's knowledgeable of new parts and techniques and informative but I love finding newcomers such as HighTeaToys.

Hope others share their faves 

I'll check out your link soon. Thanks

10 minutes ago, ponderingzissou said:

Potterminfigpals

She talks too fast for me. There was another Australian guy that was good he was newish to lego and was working backwards buying all the modulars off of eBay then unboxing, building and reviewing. He got into that same group, how to get in LAN, and his channel now sux IMO. I understand why they want in LAN $500 worth of free lego 5 times a year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

She talks too fast for me. There was another Australian guy that was good he was newish to lego and was working backwards buying all the modulars off of eBay then unboxing, building and reviewing. He got into that same group, how to get in LAN, and his channel now sux IMO. I understand why they want in LAN $500 worth of free lego 5 times a year. 

😆😆 Agreed. Had the same criticism of Emmasaurus

18 minutes ago, redcell said:

What is LAN?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Go to 16:03 but basically paid shills. Also where a lot of good leaks come from. This guy does a great job but in order to review the set before release day lego has to send it to him a few weeks early so he can build it and make the video. 

• Like 1

I have watched more than my fair share of EllieV toys with my daughter. Honestly I think she's great because her focus is basically only on Friends and minidoll sets, with an occasional creator or ideas build (probably from LAN). There are no filler going to a store videos, just set builds or some creative challenge like adding on to a house or building with only one color. Plus she's quite good at building play houses. Obviously not for everyone, but my kid loves her videos and it could be worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

I have watched more than my fair share of EllieV toys with my daughter. Honestly I think she's great because her focus is basically only on Friends and minidoll sets, with an occasional creator or ideas build (probably from LAN). There are no filler going to a store videos, just set builds or some creative challenge like adding on to a house or building with only one color. Plus she's quite good at building play houses. Obviously not for everyone, but my kid loves her videos and it could be worse.

I've only watched 1 or 2 of these. I'm not in EllieV's target audience BUT already found something creative in one of her videos 

20210828_211108.jpg.2a5cbbbec533c74f70bcf6275b8e923a.jpg

Funny that you mentioned filler (store visits etc). Evidence that we all have different preferences. I don't mind store visits occasionally IF it's a channel that I enjoy. I especially like seeing what's available at Pick a brick walls and the current "build a minifigure" offerings. I loathe those that's channel consists mainly of Walmart clearance hauls though. Always curious what they found but refuse to click on the links 

The creative challenges sound interesting. Thanks for sharing!

29 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

I like MANDR productions the best. He seems cool in a niche industry dominated by nerds.

Also a fan of MandRproductions. While he focuses mainly on Star Wars, his incredible collection allows the ability to compare 10 different versions of something. Whether or not I'm even interested in the set, as a LEGO fan I think its cool to see how styles and techniques have changed over the years.

The title mentions recommended blogs so one not yet mentioned in this thread specifically would be The New Elementary. Probably the best I can think of in covering new parts, colors, and the like. I'll have to sift through my links to see if I can find any YouTuber not previously mentioned or considered an obvious known.

Anyway good idea for a truly LEGO related thread. Like others, I'm surprised we did not have this already.

18 hours ago, ponderingzissou said:

Wrong answers only please

Don't tempt me. I could play that game for an eternity. Haha. ....Alright maybe one.

Loquacious Analytical Neuron

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 2:24 PM, TheOrcKing said:

The title mentions recommended blogs so one not yet mentioned in this thread specifically would be The New Elementary. Probably the best I can think of in covering new parts, colors, and the like. I'll have to sift through my links to see if I can find any YouTuber not previously mentioned or considered an obvious known.

I hesitated to include blog or website. Is it acceptable to promote other websites here?

Also I agree, New Elementary is one of my favorites (pointing out new parts and also exploring creative ways to use them). 

Brothers Brick finds and shares lots of interesting mocs

56 minutes ago, ponderingzissou said:

I hesitated to include blog or website. Is it acceptable to promote other websites here?

Far as I know, yes. We have linked articles from Brickset, Eurobricks, Brick Fan, Hoth Bricks, and Brothers Brick you just reminded me about. I believe there is one other investing website the system censors automatically but I never bothered to ask what it was so no idea honestly.

Self promotion of one's own site is different though and I would ask Ed & Jeff about that. They've been fine if you approach them first.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

No new channels discovered recently.

Am I alone in finding that Brickset is nearly useless at this point because of an overabundance of ads? When checking for minifigure info in sets this was my go to source for years. Now I spend far too much of my time closing ads, trying to scroll to reveal what is hidden under ads or accidentally clicking ads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ponderingzissou said:

Am I alone in finding that Brickset is nearly useless at this point because of an overabundance of ads? When checking for minifigure info in sets this was my go to source for years. Now I spend far too much of my time closing ads, trying to scroll to reveal what is hidden under ads or accidentally clicking ads. 

TLDR: Make an account and log-in there -> way less ads.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ponderingzissou said:

BL also has a fairly useful minifigure search sans ads

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...