Recommended YouTube LEGO channels, blogs, websites, etc

ponderingzissou

11 minutes ago, redcell said:

That guy has all kinds of first-world problems to deal with.  Also, I'm not so sure that he's as cool with getting put on probation as he is trying to come across as being.

I would think part of the stipulation of being on probation would be you can’t disclose you are on probation.

• Like 2

I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but here goes. I actually think he has a legitimate gripe. Did he make a mistake? Yes. But it wasn't malicious, or attempting to skirt the system Lego has in place. Lego has effectively reduced his earning capacity for the next 6 months for as he stated very little investment output for lego compared to the views they receive from LAN member channels. By the time he buys, builds, and reviews the new sets buying on release day, most of the reviews, which are typically the highest viewed lego videos on youtube, have been posted for days or weeks. It will affect his earnings, and he has a family to support. So I understand his frustration, although I'm not sure airing it on youtube was a good idea. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, redcell said:

That guy has all kinds of first-world problems to deal with.  Also, I'm not so sure that he's as cool with getting put on probation as he is trying to come across as being.

This has nothing to do with “first world problems”. He relies on his influencer status as a source of income for his family. His concerns are legitimate. Whether or not publicly airing them makes sense is the question.  He’d probably been better to take the high road, not say anything until the suspension is lifted then make a decision on whether or not it’s worth to take a dump on LAN publicly. 

15 hours ago, curiusgeorge said:

I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but here goes. I actually think he has a legitimate gripe. Did he make a mistake? Yes. But it wasn't malicious, or attempting to skirt the system Lego has in place. Lego has effectively reduced his earning capacity for the next 6 months for as he stated very little investment output for lego compared to the views they receive from LAN member channels. By the time he buys, builds, and reviews the new sets buying on release day, most of the reviews, which are typically the highest viewed lego videos on youtube, have been posted for days or weeks. It will affect his earnings, and he has a family to support. So I understand his frustration, although I'm not sure airing it on youtube was a good idea. 

I suspect LEGO has to take a tough stance on leaks so that they don't face a constant stream of "whoopsies" from content creators jockeying for advantage over their competition.  I can certainly understand his frustration, but, as he readily admits, he knew the rules and should have been more careful when editing the video.

• Like 2

The whole thing seems almost like a Willy Wonka type trick. Lego invites LAN members to Billund to interview designers about upcoming products to review. Lego slips a ‘gobstopper’ in as a test. Bricksie takes the bait by editing out all but a few frames of the “gobstopper”. Bricksie ignorantly thinks he can get away with this by claiming it was an accident. Bricksie is then flushed down the proverbial chocolate drain of influencers who think they are above the Lego gobstopper test. 

• Like 2

I understand he is a good guy and he left his real world career to do the Lego/LAN thing with a wife and child on the way, and that this will be a big hit on his income. He really over does it with the videos sometimes: The set arrives, unboxing, building, review, placing, alt builds all for one set because he needs to max out his views per free set to generate income.

What gets me is how he says Lego gave him the Titanic and they get free advertising every time he makes a video because the Titanic is always in the background. What about nobody would watch your videos unless Lego gave you the free sets in the first place.  

Other people have left Lan, Ryan and Holly, or never were in Lan, Jang and just hustle and get the sets first, build them and review them prior to the LAN embargo date. So he has other options it is just the LAN route is the cheapest and easiest so stop whining and get moving. 

43 minutes ago, redcell said:

I suspect LEGO has to take a tough stance on leaks so that they don't face a constant stream of "whoopsies" from content creators jockeying for advantage over their competition.  I can certainly understand his frustration, but, as he readily admits, he knew the rules and should have been more careful when editing the video.

I understand your point, but looking at the leak, it was footage from an interview with a lego designer in Billund. In Lego's own offices. So instead of Lego making sure the unreleased product wasn't available for video footage, they put the onus on the influencer, and later, after someone else took the video, tore it down frame by frame, blamed the leak on the creator and punished him financially. No fault on Lego, all on Bricksie. Lol. I bet the designer suffered no financial loss from the leak, or even Lego for that matter as it encourages excitement and discussion for the unreleased product. It's literally free publicity.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, curiusgeorge said:

I understand your point, but looking at the leak, it was footage from an interview with a lego designer in Billund. In Lego's own offices. So instead of Lego making sure the unreleased product wasn't available for video footage, they put the onus on the influencer, and later, after someone else took the video, tore it down frame by frame, blamed the leak on the creator and punished him financially. No fault on Lego, all on Bricksie. Lol. I bet the designer suffered no financial loss from the leak, or even Lego for that matter as it encourages excitement and discussion for the unreleased product. It's literally free publicity.

Recently there have been a few influencers that have been give early access to sets and designer interviews, Racing Brick, David at Beyond the brick, Jays brick blog and more they have seen sets a year in advance like Gringotts and know they can’t reveal anything about it and don’t. But when the set is eventually released Lego already has the designer videos ready to go where as before they would come out weeks later.

Lego frequently has unreleased sets out on display and the influencers know they can not share any information on the sets in any matter. He knew this or wouldn’t have edited his own video, he made a mistake, and now has to pay the price. I don’t see how Lego is to fault at all. It is not like they accidentally had an unreleased set out early. Perhaps the designer was proud of his work and had his set out on his desk. I understand if Bricksie did this intentionally it would be different and mistakes happen but the end result is the same. Perhaps if he wasn’t in such a rush to get content out to get views to make money this wouldn’t have happened. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, curiusgeorge said:

Yep. I’m surprised (not really) the empathy some people are having towards Lego in this situation. They’re getting a ton of free publicity for a set that is another ho-hum character bust. 

Edited by Mathew

7 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Recently there have been a few influencers that have been give early access to sets and designer interviews, Racing Brick, David at Beyond the brick, Jays brick blog and more they have seen sets a year in advance like Gringotts and know they can’t reveal anything about it and don’t. But when the set is eventually released Lego already has the designer videos ready to go where as before they would come out weeks later.

Lego frequently has unreleased sets out on display and the influencers know they can not share any information on the sets in any matter. He knew this or wouldn’t have edited his own video, he made a mistake, and now has to pay the price. 

I'm not arguing that he didn't make a mistake. But let's be real, if Lego doesn't want any leaks, stop showing them to content creators. But they're not going to do that as letting content creators gush about the mystery set creates buzz and excitement before the release. You mentioned earlier the titanic and Bricksie wouldn't have an audience unless Lego gave him that for free, which isn't accurate. He built that channel well before he became a LAN member and was one of the reasons LEGO chose him to become a member. 

I don't watch his videos, as I find them to be overly too positive regardless of the set. But it's interesting to see the hate on the guy simply because he was getting free lego. Especially coming from a discussion forum full of resellers that will often discuss ways to bend or break the rules to maximize profits. No hate on my part, just amusement.

1 hour ago, curiusgeorge said:

I'm not arguing that he didn't make a mistake. But let's be real, if Lego doesn't want any leaks, stop showing them to content creators. But they're not going to do that as letting content creators gush about the mystery set creates buzz and excitement before the release. You mentioned earlier the titanic and Bricksie wouldn't have an audience unless Lego gave him that for free, which isn't accurate. He built that channel well before he became a LAN member and was one of the reasons LEGO chose him to become a member. 

I don't watch his videos, as I find them to be overly too positive regardless of the set. But it's interesting to see the hate on the guy simply because he was getting free lego. Especially coming from a discussion forum full of resellers that will often discuss ways to bend or break the rules to maximize profits. No hate on my part, just amusement.

I didn’t make that comment about him and Titanic.  His audience clearly isn’t dependent on getting free sets given that he had to have an audience in the first place to become a LEGO ambassador.  Personally, I don’t get all the hate towards reviewers like him…he may not be your cup of tea (certainly not mine) and may be annoying to you, but he’s not an inherently bad person or anything…at least as far as I know…he could be a major **** in real life.

no need to go publicly bending over for likes by them YouTubers ( not just this fella whom I’ve never seen a video from before, which just proves my point below.)

Own it, accept it, move on. They just want to become a sob story and benefit financially from it. If that’s hating then 🙋🏽‍♂️.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bold-Arrow said:

no need to go publicly bending over for likes by them YouTubers ( not just this fella whom I’ve never seen a video from before, which just proves my point below.)

Own it, accept it, move on. They just want to become a sob story and benefit financially from it. If that’s hating then 🙋🏽‍♂️.   

8b18du.jpg.0c164750384856171ad753e0b3faae8f.jpg

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Lego should also own their mistake. But whatever. I’m soured on the brand from this fiasco. 

https://chng.it/77w89JLnRs

I just created this for fun. Nothing will likely come of it, but stranger things have happened.

I'm sure I could have done it better, but I'm tired with a fussy child. So I'm particularly sympathetic to someone having a ways to make a living possibly taken away from them, no matter how potentially obnoxious they can be occasionally.

8 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

MandR weighs in on Bricksie @ 14:30

Ohhh, that's what happened? Dang, F Lego on this, that's 100% their fault, fire the random PR person who didn't make it clear to the influencer network. Also that Rocket Raccoon is cursed.

29 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

Also that Rocket Raccoon is cursed.

seriously. that evil looking thing should be blocked out in ALL videos and never put on shelves, going to give kids nightmares. would be perfect in the first LEGO Halloween Horror movie

• Haha 1

I don’t understand the argument that since he has a family this shouldn’t happen to him. People get laid off, the job landscape changes, etc. and plenty of them have families too. There are no guarantees. 

Looking through his videos most reviews seem to have a similar number of views to his other videos, so I don’t see why the reviews are so important.  If he brought something unique to the review space I’m sure people would still watch, but if he is just another fluffer then I guess it’s more important to be first. 

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 1