Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

5 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

https://www.stonewars.de/kommentare/bricklink-designer-program-aenderungen/

looks like some change was made but having difficulty getting a translation of this page, if anyone could post a summary

No change was made, just speculation on their end of what they think would/should change. At least that was my conclusion after a quick scan of this lengthy article, didn't read all paragraphs with full detail and attention.

Edited by Phil B
  • Thanks 1

They charged me for two orders, the other two they didn't yet
+ they set it up as crowdfunding

Mine is shown as pending.
Their order page clearly states they will only charge one it’s shipped, and that’s estimated to be January 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I’m doubting you. An email to BL or LEGO should clear it up. It’s definitely not in the T&C.

When will I be charged for my order?
The LEGO Shop will charge your credit card, debit card or PayPal account when your order is shipped. If you pay for any portion of your order using a gift card, the card will be charged when your order is shipped. If you used a LEGO VIP voucher on this order, it'll be subtracted from the amount charged when your order is shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On another subject. Instructions. Is this concerning?

Only the set owners will have access. Will that be the purchaser only or the end user?
looks like an app to deliver them. What happens to those without a "mobile device" What happens in the future, when today's devices are obsolete?

Thoughts. There's nothing in the faq. Thinking I might bail out.

49D742B3-4E3F-4F70-922F-416F8D82A744.thumb.jpeg.375cdb454a4dec296ac2c84ba2e1c006.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

Only the set owners will have access. Will that be the purchaser only or the end user?
looks like an app to deliver them. What happens to those without a "mobile device" What happens in the future, when today's devices are obsolete?

49D742B3-4E3F-4F70-922F-416F8D82A744.thumb.jpeg.375cdb454a4dec296ac2c84ba2e1c006.jpeg

Relax? I would be more concerned with the pending announcement and something like: due to the popularity of the Castle set we have decided to make this a regular Ideas release or the fan vote anniversary release. Let’s just wait and see beyond our control  

I read that they will be using the existing instructions app, which on the ipad is pretty good at color replication and element placement location. You would scan the QR code on the set packaging, whatever that ends up being, and it loads the instructions. If they do go this route then anyone could share the QR code. As far as future proofing I am 100% sure the instructions will be scanned into PDF format and be available on the internet within a week of the set being shipped. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

My thought is a set of printed instructions will be available (somewhere) within about two minutes of their release.

• Like 1

I hope that LEGO does something half decent with the packaging, etc.

Last time, Bricklink went all out extreme deluxe - This time it sounds as if we might be getting a giant bag of loose LEGO pieces (no box, no instructions, no # bags, no nothing).

But I guess it would give the baby mob more reasons to cry out about their unjust pain and suffering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, KShine said:

But I guess it would give the baby mob more reasons to cry out about their unjust pain and suffering.

I wonder if these are the same people that during the shutdown would ask me on my FBM listings if I could build the set for them. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Al Legorical said:

Please tell me that's a satirical post

I've also been asked to build a set before shipping it.  I did not oblige.

I think Lego's bigger failure with this whole thing is not addressing this need themselves. Maybe a large castle set would not end up selling that well if Lego were to issue one, but I'm a little surprised they haven't tried.

3 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I've also been asked to build a set before shipping it.  I did not oblige.

I think Lego's bigger failure with this whole thing is not addressing this need themselves. Maybe a large castle set would not end up selling that well if Lego were to issue one, but I'm a little surprised they haven't tried.

Had the opposite tried to sell a copy of tower bridge built to save taking it apart when we moved. No takers 

On 7/5/2021 at 7:41 AM, Al Legorical said:

If LEGO allows for printing the instructions, then it would be easy enough to print them to a PDF file.

They would do this to try and protect their future releases I would say.  If they limit the sales and want to hit their number, they want some sort of control to keep the sales up.  If you know a set is limited, you could just wait it out and BL a set when you get ahold of the manual.  If there is no manual for the general public's access, then it makes it harder to put together if you did not buy it directly in said limited batch.  I'm sure someone will devise a way to put together a manual from the app if there is no easy way to export the data.

rather than limits...I think packaging will make or break these sets in terms of resale value, appreciation, and collectability.

One side of the spectrum is the 2019 series which was top notch and exceeded all expectations...middle of the road is the Yellow Profit Anchor...we don't know what the other end of the spectrum looks like...yet