Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

3 minutes ago, tyskr28 said:

LMAO https://www.ebay.ch/itm/265214776769?hash=item3dc00855c1:g:O1IAAOSwqSZg3d~2

I am glad to see the castle reach production level so quickly, I hope this inspires LEGO to keep making more castle sets!

Good luck to all the others

Hilarious

"The set will ship once it is shipped. "

must have been in a rush

I wonder how many unique buyers there were for castle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

Hilarious

"The set will ship once it is shipped. "

must have been in a rush

I wonder how many unique buyers there were for castle?

or how many people bought it because they wanted it and how many people bought it because they want to resell it

There are a lot of people complaining about the limit and resellers on the BL site (nothing new I know) but I'm sure that the designers are happy that people can buy more than one to help push their projects over the line. Those same people would probably be equally disappointed if the project they supported didn't make it to 3k. It does make me wonder if TLG will up the production limit, but it seems a bit late now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tyskr28 said:

There are a lot of people complaining about the limit and resellers on the BL site (nothing new I know) but I'm sure that the designers are happy that people can buy more than one to help push their projects over the line. Those same people would probably be equally disappointed if the project they supported didn't make it to 3k. It does make me wonder if TLG will up the production limit, but it seems a bit late now.

at the end of the day, resellers ( not just Lego) are their own worst enemy. Many changes in the past few years by retailers were a direct result of our ( and others ) behavior, then we complain about it 

• Like 3

How many BrickLink Designer sets will be produced?

This program will realize up to the first 15 projects that are successfully crowdfunded by the fans. Each designer set is a limited edition, and the quantity produced will be up to 5,000.

2 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

Shows "sold out" on BrickLink but "back order" on LEGO Shop at Home

I would assume it's a que for people backing out and canceling.

The limit 5 just seems like it is asking people to be upset. The castle was obviously going to sell out, even at a much lower limit. It seems like LEGO could easily have had limit 1 or 2 on day 1, then open up the limit on day 2 if things are really moving that slowly. Sure, maybe grandma wants to get 5 for each of her grandkids, but otherwise who besides resellers like us are buying more than 2 or 3? 

I guess that LEGO doesn't really care in the end who buys these, but is the program really worth it if you are depending on resellers to help you sell 5k of a unique, limited edition product? 

I got my 1 castle for personal build and am happy, but the entire set up just seems odd. Ultimately as a collector I want this to be a successful long term program so that we get access to interesting, unique sets, but it seems like it's just asking for a PR mess like with the VIP satellite. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

I know its counter to what his intention was. But Im gonna posit that if the kapako set was renamed parrot or parakeet, it woulda sold out by now, its such a cute set with the baby. But now 99.99% of ppl see kapako and scratch their heads.

I knew exactly what it was, I just had less than zero interest in it.

• Like 1

Just now, oneknightr said:

I'm trying to buy the safe but I keep getting this error when I click the Preorder button. Any ideas?

Shop Error.jpg

seems to be a glitch.  I confirmed the error.  Tried to add the castle, with no response.  attempted the safe again, and it added to cart just fine.  F5 the direct link: https://www.lego.com/en-us/cart?product=910016 and/or maybe clear cache first?

25 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

Has the wording changed? I now see the 5000 limit as "maximum pre-order". The only reference to a 5000 cap is in the description of the boat (that I can see)

Shows "sold out" on BrickLink but "back order" on LEGO Shop at Home

I would not be surprised if LEGO decides to produce more no matter if wording is changed or not. Will they juggle production schedules around? Maybe, maybe not. Guess it depends on how their factories are doing and how their other stock is doing. This time, Bricklink is owned by LEGO, so it makes more production a lot more likely.

11 minutes ago, SpaceFan9 said:

seems to be a glitch.  I confirmed the error.  Tried to add the castle, with no response.  attempted the safe again, and it added to cart just fine.  F5 the direct link: https://www.lego.com/en-us/cart?product=910016 and/or maybe clear cache first?

I've tried it on a different computer and my phone and still having the same issues. Ugh. If the safe sells out, I'm going to be.....ok, I guess.

Edit: F5'd a bunch of times and then the safe showed up in my cart with a quantity of 5. Lol. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 1

It took about 10 minutes after release to open up the actual buy link for the east coast of US it seemed.  I grabbed three castles.  Should be some pretty good trade bait if nothing changes between now and then.  I'm a pirate set collector currently and the Imperial Flagship #10210 is in my want list ;)

Edited by Halfrig
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

I would not be surprised if LEGO decides to produce more no matter if wording is changed or not. Will they juggle production schedules around? Maybe, maybe not. Guess it depends on how their factories are doing and how their other stock is doing. This time, Bricklink is owned by LEGO, so it makes more production a lot more likely.

Also plenty of people are unhappy that the limit was 5 per person when the total cap was 5000. I get why they did that on the less popular sets but for the castle, that was a bad idea. Maybe they should have 1 per day cap for pre-order.

The Next two rounds will likely have quite a few more high interest projects ... It will be interesting to see if Lego just plows forward with the status quo, Or if they change things, or if most popular sets sell a little bit more slowly, just because there are more cool options and people have limited cash.

But then again as I write this I think to myself “there are only 5000, that’s almost zero in a world of billions”