Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

1 minute ago, KShine said:

Reading the online comments is just crazy.

People are truly out of the minds with a super high level of butt-hurt.

In for the hateful comments! Do you have a link?

Oh, and at first I bought 1 to build for my personal collection but then when I saw it instantly go to 3K sold it was a no brainer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pseudoty said:

In for the hateful comments! Do you have a link?

Oh, and at first I bought 1 to build for my personal collection but then when I saw it instantly go to 3K sold it was a no brainer. 

Just scroll down.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/designer-sets-for-adult-fans-of-lego/215665/Castle-in-the-Forest

It's warming my heart the more I read and I only got one.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, iahawks550 said:

"if this is crowfunding it has to be made available, otherwise it should have been called a lottery"

has no idea how a lottery works, apparently.

I'm trying to decide which country has the most butt hurt.  Just the shear number of Americans on there makes it hard to ignore how whiney and entitled they are, but I think the Germans are the angriest, which surprises me, I thought Lego was dead there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I really like this new Forest Castle where I has no desire for Lowenstein. I guess bcs FC is minifig scale while Low is more of microfig scale. I've just ordered one to build myself and have bit of doubt in investment potential bcs it is not an official product line set missing typical packaging and instructions. I take it more like a nice 3rd party set. I wouldnt probably bother getting FC even as a die hard Lego collector for this reason.

EDIT: I looked at Low castle sales data and I have no doubt this would be a good investment :)

Edited by kumas

1 minute ago, spener90 said:

I think something we are passing over is that this set was actually posted on Lego.com. This hopefully means that long term the masses will know of it.

Yeah, it was up on Lego.com beforehand and during (linked to BL and back to Lego to make the purchase).  Least we got VIP points (gwp did not qualify).  Looks like it has been since removed from Lego.com after selling out though (at least US).

1 hour ago, BrickLover80 said:

Also plenty of people are unhappy that the limit was 5 per person when the total cap was 5000. I get why they did that on the less popular sets but for the castle, that was a bad idea. Maybe they should have 1 per day cap for pre-order.

I'm also thinking that maybe considering more production is why LEGO staggered the crowdfunding to three groups. Just delay the last two if you want to produce more of the first group.

24 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

I'm also thinking that maybe considering more production is why LEGO staggered the crowdfunding to three groups. Just delay the last two if you want to produce more of the first group.

There are a new group of 10 sets for group 2 and group 3

10 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Imagine these people after missing out on a Funko Shop exclusive or similar release that's gone in less than a minute without even being announced ahead of time.

Or any sort of limited edition items that are current like sneakers or any other relevant collectible.  LEGO will have their normal items and now (since owning BL), some more limited run items.  I don't get why people are complaining about not knowing the price.  That did not bar them from buying it or not really.

What gets me is EVERYONE registered on BrickLink got the memo's - it's a case of snooze you loose - or didn't check your email. It took me 30 minutes of frustration to get what I wanted. Honestly given the time it went live they were making it available at a decent time for most of the world. From the comments EVERYONE is well aware of what happens to exclusives and "hot" items. 

That said I do agree with "what's the point of limiting production"? If LEGO stopped retiring ever popular sets this wouldn't happen...

5 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

any insights out there as to why the Bionicle set would be so slow out of the gate given all the recent!?  My first thought was the lack of actual Bionicle pieces the fans love building with.

That's my thought, it is a Bionicle set in name only.

Edit: Also, that is a super steep price tag.

Edited by spener90

29 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

any insights out there as to why the Bionicle set would be so slow out of the gate given all the recent!?  My first thought was the lack of actual Bionicle pieces the fans love building with.

Yeah, I never realized before this but the fandom does not really overlap with the LEGO System fans. I also think the set was hurt most of all by the lack of unique molds and prints. 

It's also worth noting that Bionicle is popular primarily with Millenials and Gen Z, who don't quite have the same buying power for a $120 set. If this were released closer to the stimulus checks? Might've gone a lot faster. I have no doubt that it would've gotten funded within a week though and would have been one of the most profitable on the aftermarket. 

My heart is heavy but I'll use the profits from flipping my castle to personally hunt down every one of those green birds and make their extinction permanent. 

Edited by raindroplet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, raindroplet said:

Yeah, I never realized before this but the fandom does not really overlap with the LEGO System fans. I also think the set was hurt most of all by the lack of unique molds and prints. 

It's also worth noting that Bionicle is popular primarily with Millenials and Gen Z, who don't quite have the same buying power for a $120 set. If this were released closer to the stimulus checks? Might've gone a lot faster. I have no doubt that it would've gotten funded within a week though and would have been one of the most profitable on the aftermarket. 

My heart is heavy but I'll use to the profits from flipping my castle to personally hunt down every one of those green birds and make their extinction permanent. 

I was going to say something like the Bionicle fans are the ones with all the student debt but you stated it better. 

Shows unavailable to order for me?

ETA: comments from the castle designer 

B3CF2E2F-A6B0-4FE6-B6AC-9DC5CC8D51BE.jpeg

D0205906-7E63-4C66-AE8D-D39C3B79BDAE.png

Edited by Pseudoty

7 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I didn't realize only the first five of the seven projects to hit 3000 orders were going to be produced.  So much for 41+ days to place orders... pff.

I did not realise that as well, was still on the fence about the particle accelerator which I thought was quite cool. I'm glad I jumped in on the fishing boat before going off to run errands, it was gone when I came back. The next round will get even crazier as there are some very nice builds as well. 

• Like 1

Which sets are you all eyeballing for the next rounds?  Nothing there I would collect for myself (Pirates (including the PotC ships) and Star Wars are my main lines).  My guess for popularity would be:

Winter Chalet for all the winter set collectors.  I think the Exploratorium is a cool design and having 8 minis doesn't hurt.  Lego Store might work for all the modular builders.  The Observatory looks good with having the multiple tiers.  I think those would be the next top four from the remaining bunch.  

You guys would know more than me, but how do all the micro sets hold up?  

1 hour ago, Halfrig said:

Which sets are you all eyeballing for the next rounds?  

Only 7 sets were released this round.  With only two rounds left and 19 sets remaining(including the observatory), maybe we get 9 and 10 and they let the first 6 through rather than 5? Only time will tell. 

Out of the 19 sets remaining, 18 are in lingering in 'test building' and Space Troopers the only set still stuck in 'Digital Modeling'.  I think its safe to say, there will be additional delays of other sets. For example the Train station, Exploratorium, Windmill and even the Ruin House look like challenging builds to maintain good structural integrity. 

I see a few more tweaks to the next couple rounds (maybe adding a 4th round?).  

Lets assume they do 8 like last time and Space Troops cannot advance in time. Next round could look something like this.

-50s Diner

-Train Station

-Windmill

-Science Adventures

-Bowley Alley

-Brickwest Studios

-Ruin House

-Working Waterfall

or say the Observatory moves back in and working waterfall gets left off.

This scenario has me leaning toward Wind Mill and Ruin House. Discloser, the only inhibitor from also buying Studios, diner, train station and observatory would be budget and space. Small time collector/investor.

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo
  • Like 1