Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

23 minutes ago, coelian said:

Lego does not touch them, the designers are given certain parameters to work with to stay within spec like 5000pcs and only parts in production.

Bricklink is LEGO and Pre-production (now until May 31) involves the Bricklink team test building and refining designs for production.

11 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Did you read this somewhere from the announcement? It sounds like the verbiage used from the last AFOL designer program. Those ideas all followed the guidelines to begin with.

All of these images were models submitted to the ideas platform before the conception of this program.    I have a feeling these will get some alters one way or another.  If not, I will be pleasantly surprised.

The instruction part maybe driven by sustainability practices??

It was part of the lego ideas blog post and my interpretation of what it means.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/7e027d01-6ec9-473c-b6b0-db8f92bbe5af

4 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Bricklink is LEGO and Pre-production (now until May 31) involves the Bricklink team test building and refining designs for production.

What I meant was the products will not be tweaked as much as those chosen for production in lego ideas. These should stay fairly close to what the designer intended instead of looking quite different like the blacksmith set.

6 minutes ago, coelian said:

It was part of the lego ideas blog post and my interpretation of what it means.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/7e027d01-6ec9-473c-b6b0-db8f92bbe5af

Extrapolated from the link you provided.

image.png.9a275c754671182a34e8411a20d8e809.png

image.png.fecffc018775c02de218e6b40e4b16f3.png

So yes, most will see changes of some kind.  I will wait to see the final designs before making any conclusions.

Edited by BricksBrotha

“Will there be printed building instructions?

No, the building instructions will be available in a digital form and only the set owners will have access to those digital building instructions. BrickLink and LEGO team are working hard to deliver the most enjoyable and interactive building experience on your mobile devices.”

This is potentially crazy...or totally nothing... will you be able to transfer ownership of the digital instructions?

3 minutes ago, House Schubert said:
“Will there be printed building instructions?

No, the building instructions will be available in a digital form and only the set owners will have access to those digital building instructions. BrickLink and LEGO team are working hard to deliver the most enjoyable and interactive building experience on your mobile devices.”

This is potentially crazy...or totally nothing... will you be able to transfer ownership of the digital instructions?

Despite the color issues (I made a few mistakes with brown and dark brown, I think) in the first iteration, I did like having the printed instructions. The quality box, the otherwise quality instructions, the weirdly numbered, but easy to open bags, the little extra piece...hopefully they keep or improve everything else.

• This program will realize up to the first 13 projects that are successfully crowdfunded by the fans. Each designer set is a limited edition, and the quantity produced will be up to 5,000.
  • A minimum of 3,000 pre-orders need to be received during the crowdfunding period in order to realize a project
1 hour ago, raindroplet said:

Is there evidence that the sets will be that limited? My impression is they might be made to order since they describe them as being "crowdfunded." 

I'm definitely in for the Lego modular, Bionicle and a maybe on the train station and Mediterranean. If the pricing is decent, I will definitely buy more. 

What I pulled from the FAQ, was that up to the first 13 to reach 3,000 pre-orders would the ones that would be produced.  To follow on that, they will limit production to 5,000 total, based on pre-orders.

So, it would be entirely possible that a set only gets 3,050 pre-orders, and gets put into production.  But wouldn't get the 5,000 production run.  While another set could cap out at 5,000 pre-orders.

50 minutes ago, coelian said:

Apparently the digital instructions would be made available to the buyer, it is not clear if only the buyer can use it and not if it's sold to someone else. Someone could create lots of dummy accounts for resale I guess but it's a lot of work.

I don't think they're going to put that much thought into this.  I think the idea is much more basic; they won't be putting the instructions on Lego's site; but that if you order it, you'll get a PDF.  I doubt very highly it will be locked down (either with instructions in the cloud, or a password on the PDF).  Most likely there will be a PDF that you'll get access to download, and that will be it.  Terms and conditions will probably say don't resell or distribute, but we know how that goes.  I'm sure if someone wanted to Bricklink the set down the line and find the directions they will be out there.

Three of these sets are by the Old Fishing Store designer and somewhat match that aesthetic.  That's going to be hard to say no to for me, as I loved that set.

Castle in the Forest seems to have a similar function to the Forestmen Camouflaged Outpost set, and I loved that set growing up.

This could get expensive...

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:
  • I'm sure if someone wanted to Bricklink the set down the line and find the directions they will be out there.

The previous sets had a period of time (in the agreement with the builders) that restricted the selling of the instructions outside the program (but they are readily available to purchase now).

If they forgo the great packaging in this wave (high quality boxes, printed instructions, etc.) - the collectible, investable aspect of this would be gone. 

• Like 2

I wonder if they’re going to put effort into areas like box design or if we’d be getting a giant bag of bricks since they’re axing printed instructions? Either way, I don’t know that these will resell well. The first run wasn’t advertised, but BrickLink went above and beyond to present a wonderful packaged final product.

• 2 weeks later...

Robenanne's 3 sets have been "archived", stonewars is speculating either the designer has no time or there is some issue since those sets are already sold by bluebricks. It's a shame given the popularity of the old fishing store many folks would have probably bought them.

3 minutes ago, coelian said:

Robenanne's 3 sets have been "archived", stonewars is speculating either the designer has no time or there is some issue since those sets are already sold by bluebricks. It's a shame given the popularity of the old fishing store many folks would have probably bought them.

States the following on the BrickLink website for the 3 sets: 

"This project has been archived.

The Dive Shop

Due to other obligations the designer has had to withdraw this design from the program. We hope that we will be able to work with the designer again in the future!"

• 2 months later...

Of the first 8, only the Observatory got me to say "shut up and take my money."  I liked a few of the others, and I passed on a few as well.  A couple of the future rounds will probably get more attention from me.  And I just realized why Ideas passed on the Ideas Aquarium.  Too similar to the 3-in-1 that just came out.

I'm not sure I can ever get tired of Lego castles.

Upon further inspection, the side opening is interesting and novel. As a kid I would’ve loved the hidden cave.
I guess it would be more accurate to say I’m getting HP architecture fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1