Ideas #030: 21322 - Pirates of Barracuda Bay

Alpinemaps

As a six year old who saw the Barracuda in catalogs.....Yes!  I saved money for months and months but by the time I had enough, the Barracuda was off shelves.  I ended up with the Skull's Eye (still remember picking the set up with my mom at Toys R Us :P).  So that's the king ship in my nostalgia heart.  But this is a fitting throwback to the Barracuda, as it is truly one of the top five sets ever.

I feel that the ship's proportions seem just a little off.....seems too short compared to it's deck height.  However the modular design will make adding a bit of length no problem at all and something I intend to experiment around with.

53 minutes ago, vincevaughn said:

As a six year old who saw the Barracuda in catalogs.....Yes!  I saved money for months and months but by the time I had enough, the Barracuda was off shelves.  I ended up with the Skull's Eye (still remember picking the set up with my mom at Toys R Us :P).  So that's the king ship in my nostalgia heart.  But this is a fitting throwback to the Barracuda, as it is truly one of the top five sets ever.

I feel that the ship's proportions seem just a little off.....seems too short compared to it's deck height.  However the modular design will make adding a bit of length no problem at all and something I intend to experiment around with.

I agree about the ship being too short.....damn it does it mean I have to pick up 3 instead of 2???

Does anyone else feel like this is LEGO continuing to put out re-releases of sets?  

I like the 2-in-1 concept and the new Barracuda, but this set is not what the original Ideas proposal was.  Or is everyone good with the "upgraded" Barracuda set and we don't worry about LEGO borrowing from previous sets to produce something "new"?

After looking at this set compared to my original ship, I say name stealing for nostalgia purposes maybe.  That new ship is quite different.  Regardless I sold the brick bounty for good money.  Now that wasn't ideas and getting them cheap was easy.  This may be harder.  I plan to get a ton of them.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Folks obviously like this set for investment, but what are resellers thinking in terms of reasonable buy-in price?

is it good enough to stock up on just GWP?

GWP plus double VIP pts?

A least 20% off?

wait till Black Friday 30%?

Often you will not get more then 20% off with those bigger Ideas Sets...I only speak for Germany and with a limited experience. But I am going to get them at 20% and be happy. If this sticks not around for longer than the normal period it should grow well in value. Of course you have to wait for the Recession to be over. Maybe for bigger Sets its now the right time to buy, because many people cannot afford those in the nearer future, but maybe in 3 Years with a huge Bonus.

Edited by benjamin4172
typo

1 hour ago, s2k said:

Who's going to risk the "Circle-Back"?

If you buy one at a time, you get two GWPs.

Will there be enough time to buy one, then circle back for another?

If I were getting two ,I'd make two separate orders.  I can understand Lego tugging the submission a little closer to their shore.  The original barracuda is one of my personal favorites. I remember plopping down near $100 of my own hard earned lawn mowing cash in toys r us:) still have it and currently put together on display. This is also Cool set and box art all in all. I do wish Lego had surprised us with an actual flip front box on this.  Glad to see 5 dollar online vip points redemption is back again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Ordered mine today. I really like this little easter egg.

963607376_Screenshot2020-04-0116_15_49.thumb.png.f06f94f4a3d74c976a80f9022055a28e.png

Nice to see how very little the classic Islanders' totem's face design has changed considering it is twenty six years old by now. Some select replacement parts can be spotted but honestly such changes are incredibly minor.

• Like 1