COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

4 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

not THAT far-fetched...from my understanding (limited reading because I was curious..years ago)...current annual seasonal flu variants originate from that region of China.

Flu virus mutates in pigs and transfers to people in poor rural farms...China is a bit unique in that there is a high volume of pig farming and their poorest rural farmers are close to mega metropolitan areas and the flu variant spreads across the world.

14 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

not THAT far-fetched...from my understanding (limited reading because I was curious..years ago)...current annual seasonal flu variants originate from that region of China.

Flu virus mutates in pigs and transfers to people in poor rural farms...China is a bit unique in that there is a high volume of pig farming and their poorest rural farmers are close to mega metropolitan areas and the flu variant spreads across the world.

This guy talks about it in this interview with Joe Rogan.  Cliffs - He says that it wasn't a bio weapon and it probably came from the animal markets in Wuhan.

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

Trump pouting refuses to meet with speaker of the house, because clearly his temper tantrum is more important than keeping Americans safe. Lol you can’t make this stuff up, it’s really that unbelievable.

Yep, just silly and sad.  

Yeah, lot of tough decisions coming. Play sports in empty arenas or just skip a season? Postpone the Olympics?

How can you have a college basketball team travelling and playing if the rest of the college is online only for 2 months?

Edited by sauromosis
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

Know what is going to be awesome... Watching March Madness with no crowds in the stands....Anyone care to wager a 60219 on that?

just under 1 billion in revenue last year,  be really surprised if that does indeed happen.

that doesn't count the 8.5 billion wagers on it.

Just now, ravenb99 said:

just under 1 billion in revenue last year,  be really surprised if that does indeed happen.

that doesn't count the 8.5 billion wagers on it.

True, am sure a postmortem will be able to count the number of deaths attributed to March Madness... that will be a tough calculus to justify after the fact.

22 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

Wow, E3 in June has been cancelled.

Yeah, I've been thinking sadly about Brickworld in Chicago in June (my first convention I have plans and tickets to attend) being canceled, but at the same time I don't think I'd want to relive the experience in my memory afterward while laying in bed with a fever or worse.  Got tickets to a 311 concert in July that is outdoor (at least) but that's probably at risk, too.

Edited by MusiKyle
  • Like 1

Just now, MusiKyle said:

Yeah, I've been thinking sadly about Brickworld in Chicago (my first convention I have plans and tickets to attend) being canceled, but at the same time I don't think I'd want to relive the experience in my memory afterward while laying in bed with a fever or worse.  Got tickets to a 311 concert in July that is outdoor (at least) but that's probably at risk, too.

Pearl Jam already cancelled. I have tickets to Rage Against the Machine and Rolling Stones and I'm not expecting either of those to actually happen. :(

4 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

True, am sure a postmortem will be able to count the number of deaths attributed to March Madness... that will be a tough calculus to justify after the fact.

If it does cancel then everything will shortly after.   Sure  Disney will fight it as long as they can as well.  Just the huge amount of money on a 3 week event I would be shocked that they do it.

Just now, sauromosis said:

Pearl Jam already cancelled. I have tickets to Rage Against the Machine and Rolling Stones and I'm not expecting either of those to actually happen. :(

I've got 3 or 4 lined up the next 2 months.  Gotta be lots of disappointment I'm sure coming our way.

Edited by ravenb99

6 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

Got tickets to a 311 concert in July that is outdoor (at least) but that's probably at risk, too.

forgot about that one too.  Although mainly for Badflower.

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

change all venues to outdoors...that "could" work

the major concerts in US that have cancelled were mostly outdoors weren't they?

Edited by ravenb99

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

pretty sure anyone that CAN work at home IS

let's shut everything down that way all the health professionals are either sick or home taking care of children...we needed medical droids anyway

Millions of people working from home while brave men and women fight on the front lines. I see free daycare synergy

6 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

If it does cancel then everything will shortly after.   Sure  Disney will fight it as long as they can as well.  Just the huge amount of money on a 3 week event I would be shocked that they do it.

Yep. Hurricanes right now are the only real closure event for Disney. We still plan on going unless Bugs Bunny saws off Florida. Or we just can't due to other circumstances.

Ukraine seems to be the most intelligent about this virus...with only 1 case they're now shutting everything down. It's best to get ahead of these things immediately.

Problem is UA poorest country in Europe - they got small amount of tests, just below 5000 or even less that’s why nobody using it yet, next couple weeks we will see jump in virus cases.

On 2/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, elmaslıefendi said:

If it wasn't such a big deal, China, Russia & Europe wouldn't take these actions. 

I agree on the panic media part for other topics, however I think that this pandemic outbreak isn't overexaggerated, if anything it's the opposite. And I don't think that it is a coincidence either. Not at all.

I was i Turkey last weekend and the people say what you say; labaratory disease instead of coincendence

As for all events; I' think all corporate events will be canceled in march april.

As for all public events; Will be canceled after ticketsales are break even with the costs