COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

14 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Did the Chinese government tested everyone or just the people in the Guangdong province? Just so that we can have apple to apple comparison, what is the number of tests done for the whole country of China ?

China data seems interesting. Why guangdong not hubei?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Daily Coronavirus thoughts...

You have to wonder about the stupidity of educated people.  The "doctor" from King of Prussia, PA that infected numerous people should have known better after traveling outside the country.  The Biogen conference is a joke.  These are highly educated people from around the world that deal with "biotechnology" and they f*cked up?  You can't fix stupid.

As for the government handling the financial situation...Keep it simple...Concentrate on the coronavirus issue and keep people calm and safe and everything else will take care of itself. 

I don't think it's the stupidity of Educated folks...it's the failure to lead by the leadership

Fact of the matter: Leadership matters a lot.  Although we think we have choices, but it's ultimately the leadership that provides the choices.  Trump is the president of this country and we can have our issues with him, but I am seeing more evidence of the masses acting "Trump-like" (in terms of how his critics paint him) in this crisis: choosing ignorance, then deny, try to distract, then blame 

And to use that last bit...If I had to blame someone I blame the "experts" who's job it is to prevent pandemics...I hope they learned that Panic happens anyway if there's insufficient information.  The WHO hemming and hawing trying to "avoid" a panic ended up misleading the world leaders to think there was hope of containment...basically that overly conservative thinking or policy (don't know who to blame for that) robbed the nations like Italy and US a month of preparation time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

side note: w/ the new tech added to smart phone cameras...the next winner is the one that can show infared body temperatures so a person can scan the room/train/Uber for anyone that has a fever.

it's illegal, how can it be a winner 🤣

19 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I don't think it's the stupidity of Educated folks...it's the failure to lead by the leadership

Fact of the matter: Leadership matters a lot.  Although we think we have choices, but it's ultimately the leadership that provides the choices.  Trump is the president of this country and we can have our issues with him, but I am seeing more evidence of the masses acting "Trump-like" (in terms of how his critics paint him) in this crisis: choosing ignorance, then deny, try to distract, then blame 

And to use that last bit...If I had to blame someone I blame the "experts" who's job it is to prevent pandemics...I hope they learned that Panic happens anyway if there's insufficient information.  The WHO hemming and hawing trying to "avoid" a panic ended up misleading the world leaders to think there was hope of containment...basically that overly conservative thinking or policy (don't know who to blame for that) robbed the nations like Italy and US a month of preparation time. 

Leadership only goes so far.  Any president only has so much control.  Although a simple thing that could have been done by the Feds and the president was just asking anyone who was in a hotspot outside the US to notify authorities.  How about checking visas and travel logs?  People have to use their brains and there have been way too many screw ups by professionals that should know better.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Leadership only goes so far.  Any president only has so much control.  Although a simple thing that could have been done by the Feds and the president was just asking anyone who was in a hotspot outside the US to notify authorities.  How about checking visas and travel logs?  People have to use their brains and there have been way too many screw ups by professionals that should know better.  

It wasn't all just screw ups. There was a strong urge to cover this up and hide the numbers (such as not adding the cruise ship numbers) so that it wouldn't affect the stock market. That, or to try not to panic people but it may have been better to meet the challenge head on.

Edited by sauromosis
  • Like 3

The important part now is slowing the spread as the virus works its way through the population. I can’t believe that most companies in large metro areas have not instituted work at home orders. We’re mere weeks from overwhelming our hospitals with cases as this is just the tip of the iceberg. Have they even shut down schools in Washington state yet? On average, hospitals in the US run at 87% capacity so it’s simple math folks.

• Like 1

The important part now is slowing the spread as the virus works its way through the population. I can’t believe that most companies in large metro areas have not instituted work at home orders. We’re mere weeks from overwhelming our hospitals with cases as this is just the tip of the iceberg. Have they even shut down schools in Washington state yet? On average, hospitals in the US run at 87% capacity so it’s simple math folks.

Ignorant people don’t understand or care about math, simple or complex.

2 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

It wasn't all just screw ups. There was a strong urge to cover this up and hide the numbers (such as not adding the cruise ship numbers) so that it wouldn't affect the stock market. That, or to try not to panic people but it may have been better to meet the challenge head on.

Yep...I agree.  The cruise ship number comment just blew my mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pete411 said:

pretty sure anyone that CAN work at home IS

let's shut everything down that way all the health professionals are either sick or home taking care of children...we needed medical droids anyway

1 hour ago, BricksBrotha said:

For starters, travel should have been restricted/limited in the beginning. Borders should have been tight if not shut down completely. Sure that may seem drastic, TO YOU. But  I mean, c'mon, there are still people boarding cruises TODAY!  Would it have hurt the economy more for a few months of social distancing or what we are seeing develop in front of our very eyes? I guess only you know?

Also, Italy is stepping in and making mortgage payments for people.  WHY LET IT GET TO THIS POINT???  Ground airplanes, stop trains. I mean its not rocket science, its actually very basic virology. 

That is one thing the government could do and they did.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/02/us/coronavirus-us-travel-restrictions/index.html

Maybe it wasn't swift or sufficient enough, but I don't think the virus getting over here was something that was going to be completely prevented.

People need to take responsibility for their actions, getting on a cruise ship right now may not be the best decision.  Unnecessary travel or large gatherings may not be the best decision.  I just don't agree that we need the government to tell us what to do or step in and control everything.