COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

31 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I'm not denying that. I have to repeat myself: just saying that the money we get won't be the same if gold keeps climbing. Other than that, it's surely solid for the reason you stated.

Gold has its fans, no doubt.  I would say this though...The best of LEGO investing occurred during the last "great recession."  Also, if my money wasn't tied up in my house, I would be buying stocks right now.

Just now, iahawks550 said:

I enjoy the "self-quarantine" verbiage. In other words, don't be an inconsiderate jerk, but if you are, nothing can be done about it. ie: St Louis dad 

My issue is the stupidity and selfishness of people.  If you traveled outside of the country into China or Italy or another hotspot, people should know that they have to be tested or notify local authorities.  I hear some people in quarantine are going to public events.  Really, just selfish assholes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

So?  The same argument could be made about the Coronavirus.  I'm not defending the CDC and how they classify flu deaths, my whole point is there isn't much difference between the flu and this yet people for some reason are pretending its the apocalypse. 

Show me a single example of someone dying solely from the Coronavirus and not from underlying health issues or advanced age/immune system problems.  Just like how they classify flu/influenza/pneumonia deaths.  Even the living center in Seattle where most of the deaths have happened has come out and said that 3-7 people a month die there normally as it's basically an end of life center.  From most accounts the Coronavirus is actually less dangerous for normal adults and kids then the flu and related illnesses. 

Not saying not to be cautious and be more methodical in washing hands and basic hygiene but it's not like we're talking about an illness like H1N1, SARS, Ebola, TB or some other serious plague which actually could just outright kill you and has a serious death rate.

12 minutes ago, NIevo said:

So?  The same argument could be made about the Coronavirus.  I'm not defending the CDC and how they classify flu deaths, my whole point is there isn't much difference between the flu and this yet people for some reason are pretending its the apocalypse. 

Show me a single example of someone dying solely from the Coronavirus and not from underlying health issues or advanced age/immune system problems.  

Once again, herd immunity  look it up and understand how healthcare systems will be overwhelmed  

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/coronavirus/2020/02/27/Young-female-Iranian-futsal-player-dies-of-coronavirus-in-Qom-Rokna.html

young, nonsmoking athlete with no comorbidity. Yes you will be fine and since it won’t effect people like you no need to worry. Maybe we need Tom Brady to get it and take one for the team. 

Edited by Pseudoty

10 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Once again, herd immunity  look it up and understand how healthcare systems will be overwhelmed  

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/coronavirus/2020/02/27/Young-female-Iranian-futsal-player-dies-of-coronavirus-in-Qom-Rokna.html

young, nonsmoking athlete with no comorbidity. Yes you will be fine and since it won’t effect people like you no need to worry. Maybe we need Tom Brady to get it and take one for the team. 

I think people need to focus on protecting the older and ill.  We all have them in our families and some of the spin of this virus just blows off the older people like it's OK.  Not cool.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Iran?  You lost me there.  Might as well have thrown in an example from North Korea.  Problem is with reports from those countries is we have no idea what the truth is or how they were cared for.  Just like North Korea saying they have no cases there🙄 Maybe I was generalizing my statement a little to much for some of you to get the gist.  I'm sure there might be some deaths from it and only it especially if it's left untreated, misdiagnosed or in some third world country.  Same as any other illness.

7 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I think people need to focus on protecting the older and ill.  We all have them in our families and some of the spin of this virus just blows off the older people like it's OK.  Not cool.  

I agree.  Seems to hit younger people less but older people harder.  I didn't mean to make it sound in any of my statements that it's ok for ANYONE to die.  Just that the panic and overblown reporting is out of control nuts.

Interesting/relevant thread here: https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1235865328074153986

ESas8tHVAAAhr_I?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Historical (Spanish Flu 1918) test case described here:

https://microbialmenagerie.com/social-distancing-1918-influenza-coronavirus-covid-19/

(and this is why I'll be working from home all week... thankfully, I have that luxury.)  Yes, I don't want to get sick, but staying healthy also helps my co-workers by relieving strain on the system.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NIevo said:

Iran?  You lost me there.  Might as well have thrown in an example from North Korea.  Problem is with reports from those countries is we have no idea what the truth is or how they were cared for.  Just like North Korea saying they have no cases there🙄 Maybe I was generalizing my statement a little to much for some of you to get the gist.  I'm sure there might be some deaths from it and only it especially if it's left untreated, misdiagnosed or in some third world country.  Same as any other illness.

I agree.  Seems to hit younger people less but older people harder.  I didn't mean to make it sound in any of my statements that it's ok for ANYONE to die.  Just that the panic and overblown reporting is out of control nuts.

Look you said “Show me any example” there were no qualifiers. I did a young healthy athlete, who cares where she lives what does that matter. This is the same thing I see with others, first it was they ate wild animals, then they smoke, then poor health care, and on and on. People in the USA have an overconfidence in our “superior healthcare system” but currently there is no cure only treat the symptoms. If anything our response has been more like a third world country with no tests and no masks. 

See me in 3 weeks and we will see where we are. 

Edited by Pseudoty

7 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Look you said “Show me any example” there were no qualifiers. I did a a young healthy athlete who cares where she lives what does that matter. This the same thing I see with others, first it was they ate wild animals, then they smoke, then poor health care, and on and on. People in the USA have an overconfidence in our “superior healthcare system” but currently there is no cure only treat the symptoms. If anything our response has been more like a third world country with no tests and no masks. 

for the cases where seemingly healthy young persons died; it appears case by case...there seems to be a media silence on the details of these cases...the headlines are all the same w/ very little actual NEWS.

I keep thinking about the 30-something doctor in China who was the "whistle blower" currently a martyr.  How did he die, specifically?  He obviously had medical treatment.  Maybe viral load and repeated exposure are key factors (or maybe don't make your government look bad=my wife's reason)? 

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

13 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Look you said “Show me any example” there were no qualifiers. I did a young healthy athlete, who cares where she lives what does that matter. This is the same thing I see with others, first it was they ate wild animals, then they smoke, then poor health care, and on and on. People in the USA have an overconfidence in our “superior healthcare system” but currently there is no cure only treat the symptoms. If anything our response has been more like a third world country with no tests and no masks. 

Hence why I said maybe I was generalizing my statement a little but are you seriously trying to make the argument against where a person lives having anything to do with how something is treated or diagnosed?  Sure there is no cure, same with pretty much any other virus.  Key is treatment and care which is a huge factor in where you live.

In 3 weeks we will be exactly where we are now, just with more people sick which should be pretty obvious.

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

for the cases where seemingly healthy young persons died; it appears case by case...there seems to be a media silence on the details of these cases...the headlines are all the same w/ very little actual NEWS.

I keep thinking about the 30-something doctor in China who was the "whistle blower" currently a martyr.  How did he die, specifically?  He obviously had medical treatment.  Maybe viral load and repeated exposure are key factors (or maybe don't make your government look bad=my wife's reason)? 

That is the problem with news coming out of any of these type of countries.  China, North Korea, Iran, Russia, etc.  All we will hear out of them is what their government want's us to hear.

Edited by NIevo

12 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

What type? Cmon US saying nothin yet too same here

xactly, the US "news" has the perception of being more "free" but I think that's up for interpretation...Trump recently said he didn't want the Cruise ship on the CA coastline to dock because he didn't want the numbers to  double of "US confirmed cases" 🙄

I did remember reading something (regarding cases of fatalities from younger Patients) from a doctor who treated severe cases in Wuhan..he said in hindsight, he would have treated more aggressively using invasive mechanical respirators because prolong use of  non-invasive (I think he means steroidal) options caused patients health to deteliorate.  

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

xactly, the US "news" has the perception of being more "free" but I think that's up for interpretation...Trump recently said he didn't want the Cruise ship on the CA coastline to dock because he didn't want the numbers to  double of "US confirmed cases" 🙄

I did remember reading something (regarding cases of fatalities from younger Patients) from a doctor who treated severe cases in Wuhan..he said in hindsight, he would have treated more aggressively using invasive mechanical respirators because prolong use of  non-invasive (I think he means steroidal) options caused patients health to deteliorate.  

No, it's really not up for any interpretation.  Now being "honest" is another story.  I don't rely on most mainstream US news sources for sole information anyways as pretty much all of them anymore have their own agenda.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SpaceFan9 said:

Interesting/relevant thread here: https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1235865328074153986

ESas8tHVAAAhr_I?format=jpg&name=4096x409

THIS is THE "basic disclaimer message (chart)" nearly ALL media reports are missing to convey fundamentally - thus creating the panic that helped the stock market crash (congratulations btw., you idiot journalistst)!:
Corona IS NOT dramatically lethal or otherwise overly dangerous to a human being. It's just that authorities need to SLOW IT DOWN while spreading, so the healthcare system can HANDLE it - so it's ONLY about the numbers of people needing to be treated at the same time to get healthy again.

Yet, all they achieved was to scare people and make the stock market crash - causing much more global economic damage than a fast-spreading virus could ever have done. That's just great. But maybe rational explanations would not have worked for the majority, I admit that. Maybe you dont get average dumb Joe's attention with rationality but only by scaring him. Which would mean that there would never have been a "good way" to handle this whole crisis, because people either dont listen or are too stupid to understand.

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

THIS is THE "basic disclaimer message (chart)" nearly ALL media reports are missing to convey fundamentally - thus creating the panic that helped the stock market crash (congratulations btw., you idiot journalistst)!:
Corona IS NOT dramatically lethal or otherwise overly dangerous to a human being. It's just that authorities need to SLOW IT DOWN while spreading, so the healthcare system can HANDLE it - so it's ONLY about the numbers of people needing to be treated at the same time to get healthy again.

Yet, all they achieved was to scare people and make the stock market crash - causing much more global economic damage than a fast-spreading virus could ever have done. That's just great. But maybe rational explanations would not have worked for the majority, I admit that. Maybe you dont get average dumb Joe's attention with rationality but only by scaring him. Which would mean that there would never have been a "good way" to handle this whole crisis, because people either dont listen or are too stupid to understand.

because "avg joe know nothing" have the power to crash a multi-trillion dollar stock market???

the market was due for a correction for years now...longest bull market in history

only "elderly" are at risk..guess what...the "elderly" ...otherwise known as "baby boomers" have been controlling this country for the past generation

panic?  what panic...it's perception...think about it...when the LEGO clearance rack at Walmart gets wiped out...exactly how many individuals were the cause...judging by this forum maybe 1 or 2..it's resellers wiping out the shelves...no one is sitting on cases of masks and hand sanitizer expecting to use them personally

I'm not saying there's no panic and that the media isn't sensationalizing this; but there are a lot of other factors at play here then just the masses panicking

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

It's just that authorities need to SLOW IT DOWN while spreading, so the healthcare system can HANDLE it - so it's ONLY about the numbers of people needing to be treated at the same time to get healthy again.

You don't slow it down without creating a significant drag on the economy. Look at the various travel bans going into affect, events being canceled and changes in personal behavior. All of these things are proactive attempts, whether personal or corporate, to "slow it down". I was at Legoland FL last week for vacation and it was empty. My guess was that a large number of people made a rational decision that they would rather stay home & play it safe than risk going to a park with thousands of strangers. Is it exercising more caution than is necessary right now? Maybe, maybe not. But it's not panicky and it's not stupid. The market was reacting to the reality that as this spreads, which now looks to be inevitable, people will (and should) continue to scrutinize decisions like this - and that will ultimately translate into more uncertainty and less economic activity. 

3 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

You don't slow it down without creating a significant drag on the economy. 

I don't argue with that statement. I argue with the necessity of completely crashing the global economic system just to slow down a not very dangerous virus most people will be infected with sooner or later anyway (with no big effects on them).