COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

The numbers out of Italy are confusing, concerning and just kinda odd?  Makes you wonder if it really is due to the very old average age, underestimation of actual people infected or something else in play.  The fatality rate is higher then even some of the countries with horrible health care systems and poor populations.  I just don't know if it's even possible to get accurate numbers with something like this that is spreading so fast there isn't an accurate or even feasible way to test everyone for it whether dead or alive.

2 hours ago, KShine said:

There is no way to fully prepare in advance - you can ramp up, but there is simply a limit based on available materials, production, distribution, etc.

The entire system is built to perform mostly as required - If any one of those parts decided to produce what would be necessary for an extreme disaster , they would quickly be going out of business.

The other problem is that our biggest goods producer (China), is ground zero for this. They are not going to export supplies that they need.

Edited by labfreak7

The other problem is that our biggest goods producer (China), is ground zero for this. They are not going to export supplies that they need.

Good old communism tho - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Don’t put it past the Chinese government to prefer money (selling those supplies) over the needs of some of their people.

Good old communism tho - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Don’t put it past the Chinese government to prefer money (selling those supplies) over the needs of some of their people.

Sorry but China is now not good old communist country USSR was, one and only...
IDK why but MGM closing all buffets in LV and laying off workers today...

13 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

It's only a matter of time, soon Germany will be in the same situation as Italy. It's pathetic to not close the schools right now. They don't seem to care... that thing has a high mortality for older people. And Germany has a lot of old people...

Closing schools because of high mortality for older people -> ?

39 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

I think it is pathetic and embarrassing that South Korea has administered 200,000 tests for Coronavirus, versus our paltry 6,500 tests. Are we sure we live in a democracy???

The FDA has strict safety protocols on the steps new drugs/tests must go through before people can use them.

That's why a vaccine could be ready fairly soon, but might take a year and a half before it is made available.

1 hour ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Closing schools because of high mortality for older people -> ?

If you take an approach that goes beyond one level, you would see that schools are breeding grounds for any type of virus, bacteria, or even head lice. These kids then go home and pass it on to everyone else in the family. If you've had kids in school, it should be painfully obvious why this is being done. 

It's not for the health of the school kids, it's for the hopeful containment of the virus. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KShine said:

The FDA has strict safety protocols on the steps new drugs/tests must go through before people can use them.

There are no real safety precautions for the test itself. It's a swab that can be done safely in any doctors office. The hangup was with having to send the samples off to labs to actually analyze them.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I think others have already answered. This virus can be transmitted by children to parents without notice because they seem to be almost immune to it.

Well, the virus can be transmitted from everyone to everyone. Hence no one should go outside anymore? That is the kind of logic to this I call "blowing it out of proportion" - it already helped making the global stock market crash, so mission accomplished?

Edited by Frank Brickowski

Well, the virus can be transmitted from everyone to everyone. Hence no one should go outside anymore? That is the kind of logic to this I call "blowing it out of proportion" - it already helped making the global stock market crash, so mission accomplished?
You are right, it can be transmitted from anyone to anyone... but have you seen how gross most kids can be? They pick their nose, don't cover their mouths when they cough, scratch their butts, etc... and very few wash their hands properly, too excited to move on to the next thing. Combine that with the fact that most kids hug their friends at school daily (at least my girl does). These kids are in very close contact daily, sharing crayons and glue... I don't know how many times I have had to tell my daughter to quit swapping hair scrunchies with her friends at school.

So yes, if everyone did these things on a daily basis then they should stay home to try to help contain an outbreak.
  • Like 1

If we can for one moment disregard logic for actual scientific fact, social distancing is viral containment 101, one of the first steps necessary to slow/stop  the spreading/incident rate. This has been known for centuries.  Interesting to see how many people are more concerned about the economy than the spread. If there was a calm, calculated approach to such a crisis, then panic/recession talk would be more limited than they are now.   

This has basically been a global practice run for any virus with a real threat. If we were to be grading that effort, it would be a solid, capitalized, F. Big time failure when nations are putting the ecomony/politics ahead of Human health.   A lot of people seem to have the attitude since they are not the demographic affected, then why care?  There is a big difference between being prepared and acting calm in the face of adversity.  Also, no one can say that the next virus wont prefer kids or old people, but humans that are relatively healthy between 25-60. Classic NIMBY thinking that leads to the chaos we see. As a nation, we should have responded immediately without care for what the reaction may do to investors sentiments. That is just the scientist in me.  rant over.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Frank Brickowski said:

No, it's the kind of logic that humans packed together in small areas with relatively unsanitary personal hygiene (schools) are more likely to pass the virus to each other. Why is this hard to comprehend?