COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

1 hour ago, HappyHawkeye said:

I was at Legoland FL last week for vacation and it was empty. My guess was that a large number of people made a rational decision that they would rather stay home & play it safe than risk going to a park with thousands of strangers. 

Well major theme parks have a large proportion of international travelers which definitely went down

That said, now is probably the best time to hit Disney Theme parks if you're local

Also we expect the cruise industry to be really hurting...yet the only incentive I came across is a max $200 credit to not cancel reservations...seriously just a MAX of $200 credit..unfortunately cruises are so "luxurious" that a modest discount may be enough to get bargain shoppers (under the age of 70) signing up (over-priced N95 in hand)

21 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

20% discount on stocks right now, if one believes the market was actually true to value. I see another 10% drop into bear territory. If in for 10+ years, it's getting to be an excellent time to invest more. Or re-finance your home. 

The market dropped 50% in 2008 and people were still going to conferences, flying, staying in hotels, etc.

Yes, it will recover, but I think we're at the very beginning of the drop. There will unfortunately be layoffs and revised earnings for many companies. 

• Like 1

A few thoughts...

About the 30 year old Wuhan doctor that died...Sometimes there are anomalies.  From what I read, sometimes repeated exposure to this or any virus can wreak havoc on the immune system.  This man was on the front lines and was exposed numerous times most likely.  

In NJ, the first person died today.  He was 69, with numerous prior health issues.  We also found out that there are two known cases in my county(Burlington) which they said hopefully they found early.  NYC is bringing in the National Guard to help mitigate a hot spot.  I appreciate the effort.  The governor of NY seems like he has control of the situation.  He is even producing his own hand sanitizer for NYC.  That is what this is all about.  Local people figuring it out and working together.  

I think the hype or "scare" tactics will help in a lot of ways.  It will make people think about where they go and how to stay clean and disinfected.  It will also slow the infection rates down, which is what our health care system needs to deal with this.  

From a political standpoint, I am growing very, very tired of what is going on in Washington.  These fools need to work together and come up with solutions...both parties.  The spin from both sides is only hurting the situation.  I am on the front lines of small business owners that will need help for myself and my workers if we have to shut down for 2-3 weeks.  I am one of many in the same boat.  We are the backbone of this country and until our politicians deal with reality and the "regular Joes and Janes" of the world, people will fear the worst.  While people are worried about their health, they are just as worried about paying the bills.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

By the way: Italy...

~10.000 infected / 631 dead

That's not 2% if you ask me.

Italy is in a bad way.  The main reason could be is that they have the 5th oldest median age in the world, with over 20% of their population over 65.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

A few thoughts...

About the 30 year old Wuhan doctor that died...Sometimes there are anomalies.  From what I read, sometimes repeated exposure to this or any virus can wreak havoc on the immune system.  This man was on the front lines and was exposed numerous times most likely.  

In NJ, the first person died today.  He was 69, with numerous prior health issues.  We also found out that there are two known cases in my county(Burlington) which they said hopefully they found early.  NYC is bringing in the National Guard to help mitigate a hot spot.  I appreciate the effort.  The governor of NY seems like he has control of the situation.  He is even producing his own hand sanitizer for NYC.  That is what this is all about.  Local people figuring it out and working together.  

I think the hype or "scare" tactics will help in a lot of ways.  It will make people think about where they go and how to stay clean and disinfected.  It will also slow the infection rates down, which is what our health care system needs to deal with this.  

From a political standpoint, I am growing very, very tired of what is going on in Washington.  These fools need to work together and come up with solutions...both parties.  The spin from both sides is only hurting the situation.  I am on the front lines of small business owners that will need help for myself and my workers if we have to shut down for 2-3 weeks.  I am one of many in the same boat.  We are the backbone of this country and until our politicians deal with reality and the "regular Joes and Janes" of the world, people will fear the worst.  While people are worried about their health, they are just as worried about paying the bills.  

Currently making the news rounds is the 32 year old Physician Assistant in NJ that's in intensive care and getting worse.  The anomalies are what is interesting (at least to me)

He thinks he got it at a medical convention (not treating pts as would be expected).  Recently got approval to get a new antiviral drug in testing.  Very interested but also very hopeful he recovers to see his 1 year old and wife again.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
typo

18 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

From a political standpoint, I am growing very, very tired of what is going on in Washington.  

same here.  Does the avg worker even know that their work pays payroll taxes...or even care for that matter?

As a small business owner as well, hearing "Corporations this or corporations that...just seems like the current administration is using the coronavirus to slide in some additional Corporate "relief" that they couldn't get in during the last  "tax reform"

17 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

On a semi-related note - I want to thank all of the moderators & participants at Brickpicker. There are very few places online these days where commenting on ANYTHING doesn't devolve into name calling & general ass-holery, and this is one of them. Kudos to this community.

Indeed, but I did call the POTUS a specific type of baked, delicious snack, so it was my own fault initially for Alpine having to step in. But yes, Im glad I could create this and have it still stick around this long. I think it helps balance out the information on the site. We obviously have differing viewpoints as members on here so its nice to hear others opinion in respectable ways.

On topic: Our company will be closed on Thursday as a precaution, to test the VPN and access to working from home. Note, we are located in NC, of which there are only 7 confirmed cases.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

On topic: Our company will be closed on Thursday as a precaution, to test the VPN and access to working from home. Note, we are located in NC, of which there are only 7 confirmed cases.

SF Bay Area (CA)

My day job office (4 floors of downtown high rise) is a Fortune 500 and employs 100K around the world; at the best of times over half worked from home so w/ the CV I imagine the maintenance staff out-numbering employees.  At my spouses health related office (small business in a Co. w/ only 2 confirmed cases) she had to send an employee home due to coughing.  It's basically zero tolerance; patients and staff alike all get sent home if any overt symptoms.  Last nt went out to a restaurant that typically has a line out the door, but it was sparse enough to have an empty table between each party...welcome to the new normal (and yes, clearly a lot of businesses and workers are already struggling)

39 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Indeed, but I did call the POTUS a specific type of baked, delicious snack, so it was my own fault initially for Alpine having to step in. But yes, Im glad I could create this and have it still stick around this long. I think it helps balance out the information on the site. We obviously have differing viewpoints as members on here so its nice to hear others opinion in respectable ways.

I think we all want our government officials to act like the adults here.  Unfortunately, that always doesn't seem so.  

• Like 1

honestly, I'm disappointed.  US had about a month to prepare with plenty of examples from China and other countries going thru their trial and errors

Also, with a month to prepare ...there are now shortages?

How hard is it to mobilize one of the largest and most advance economies...to make enough...wait for it...paper face masks and test kits that work,  I'm not asking for something complicated like a cell phone or a Tesla...With a month to prepare, there should have been a box of face masks, a FAQ sheet, bottle of sanitizer ready for delivery to every resident once a potential "hot zone" is identified.

Heck if the tech companies were running this...the above would already be in every house (in an Amazon box) and there would already be an App for it.  Freakin A...if Amazon can ship like a billion boxes during Prime Day worldwide...and yet we're talking TP shortages

3 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

honestly, I'm disappointed.  US had about a month to prepare with plenty of examples from China and other countries going thru their trial and errors

Also, with a month to prepare ...there are now shortages?

How hard is it to mobilize one of the largest and most advance economies...to make enough...wait for it...paper face masks and test kits that work,  I'm not asking for something complicated like a cell phone or a Tesla...With a month to prepare, there should have been a box of face masks, a FAQ sheet, bottle of sanitizer ready for delivery to every resident once a potential "hot zone" is identified.

Heck if the tech companies were running this...the above would already be in every house (in an Amazon box) and there would already be an App for it.  Freakin A...if Amazon can ship like a billion boxes during Prime Day worldwide...and yet we're talking TP shortages

I'm not trying to pick on you, but what is your experience in production of any of these items?  I don't have any, but I'm guessing it's harder than just pressing "Buy Now".  What if these companies guessed wrong and over produced something no one wanted or it was discovered that there was simple cure for the disease and it ended up being nothing.  You have the advantage of hindsight, but since this was so easy to see coming, I'm assuming you have plenty of hand sanitizer, face masks, and TP?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I'm not trying to pick on you, but what is your experience in production of any of these items?  I don't have any, but I'm guessing it's harder than just pressing "Buy Now".  What if these companies guessed wrong and over produced something no one wanted or it was discovered that there was simple cure for the disease and it ended up being nothing.  You have the advantage of hindsight, but since this was so easy to see coming, I'm assuming you have plenty of hand sanitizer, face masks, and TP?

sure (and for the most part I'm just venting)...but I'm not insinuating 3M should have the burden of preparing...in light of the stock market loosing trillions..maybe back in early Feb someone in US government reach out to 3M and ask what their capabilities are and what it would take to ramp up.  Likewise for testing kits and lab certification.  Is there a single thing that happened in the US that didn't happen in Asia a month ago? There should be no surprises.

I get it, everyone was "hoping" that it was regionally contained

There is no way to fully prepare in advance - you can ramp up, but there is simply a limit based on available materials, production, distribution, etc.

The entire system is built to perform mostly as required - If any one of those parts decided to produce what would be necessary for an extreme disaster , they would quickly be going out of business.

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

I appreciate that you (and others) have kept it civil.  I get that most everyone has a positive or negative view of certain political figures, no matter what side of the aisle you are on.  But I hoped (it seems correctly) that keeping us from any name calling would help keep us on track, civil, and positive.  It can certainly dissolve quickly without some boundaries.

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

I think we all want our government officials to act like the adults here.  Unfortunately, that always doesn't seem so.  

Amen.  At the very least, we all can act like adults, even if our government officials can't always.