COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

9 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Trump has suspended all air travel from Europe to US with the exclusion of the UK for 30 days starting Friday.

its like proverbial 5-10 mins after twelve. That wont save you.. like it hasnt saved any other country in the world. Politicians do care primarily about their appearances, publicity and re-election. '(all the same over here, while the very original concept of EU union limits "blocking" options of the individual states how to proceed on their own)

10 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

damned!

I'm just still amazed that people testing positive for it in various area's and walks of life is breaking news?  I would honestly be less surprised if there were several million people right now carrying it then for them to say they had a vaccine within a year.  Just the simple fact that some people show little to no effects and it can gestate for over a week is mind boggling when you think about how many people could come in contact with it. 

My bottle of Lysol disinfectant spray says it kills corona virus.  So apparently it's known long before 2020, not new.  This mass panic is nuts honestly.  Just waiting for the Fed to dump trillions into the markets so I can move my clients back into profit and sell to cash.  To dumb out there.  Good news is we are barely down 6% to the massacre in the indexes.

27 minutes ago, waddamon said:

My bottle of Lysol disinfectant spray says it kills corona virus.  So apparently it's known long before 2020, not new.  This mass panic is nuts honestly.  Just waiting for the Fed to dump trillions into the markets so I can move my clients back into profit and sell to cash.  To dumb out there.  Good news is we are barely down 6% to the massacre in the indexes.

Yes, Coronavirus has been discovered for some time now, with other more severe examples as MERS and SARS. I do think the mass panic is a bit much, as people definitely should approach things more rationally. But the intention of the cancelations, or banning of fans from events, is meant to prevent our medical systems from being overrun. As a nursing student we are no longer allowed to treat patients who are placed in isolation, as they are attempting to sustain limited supplies as long as possible. It will be interesting to see how this progresses in the next few weeks, I'll personally be at work one way or another.

5 hours ago, waddamon said:

This is a good read.  Not gospel of course, but this panic doesn't make sense to me.  I guess my business makes me question things that don't make sense.https://humansarefree.com/2020/02/connection-between-coronavirus-and-5g.html

Holy crap......that is a good read if you are into whacked out conspiracy theories and awful writing. There is so much garbage and misinformation in there it's hard to stomach.

Google the author, then look at the rest of the writings. This is the equivalent of a National Enquirer writer.

7 hours ago, waddamon said:

Corona Virus is a Family of viruses (Family>Genus>Species) this is a Novel=New strain. So you can think of it as a new wild dog breed that if it bites you you can die.  Are you even going to see that dog today 99.9% no, if you do see that dog is it going to bite you 40% Chance and if it does bite you are you going to die 5% Chance. The first number 99.9% decreases (bad for you) every day as the dog breeds with exponential spread. To understand exponents give your kid a penny then every minute double it so 1,2,4,8,16,32 so after 5 minutes they have 63 cents. Do that for 1 hour and see how much money they have.  The second number 40% goes down (good for you) with social distancing but goes up if you go to big gatherings. The third number 5% goes down (good for you) if you are healthy and young but goes up if you or old or unhealthy. 20% of the US population is old and 40% is unhealthy and that isn’t even including the fatties. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, brickolodon said:

Dow Jones closed today at 23553 that means it’s bear market and futures shows tmrw will be another drop 1000-1200 or more...some experts say it’s still to high and expect 20k or less. Thanks god all my collections sold last year and I get rid off my IRA and RothIRA partly this February into cash...idk ppl still holding? Feel no safe anyway if gov start printing money and do helicopter emoji576.png drop...

People said the same thing in 2009. If you are going to be in the market for more than four years, NOT staying in the market is almost always a bad decision. If you feel like the economy is on the verge of collapse, your cash will mean nothing anyways, and you might as well invest in liquor, coffee, smokes and canned goods.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:
People said the same thing in 2009. If you are going to be in the market for more than four years, NOT staying in the market is almost always a bad decision. If you feel like the economy is on the verge of collapse, your cash will mean nothing anyways, and you might as well invest in liquor, coffee, smokes and canned goods.

Yessir, ttyl I am in line for goods waiting costco to be open...thanks.

Be reasonable and smart now. If you or an older parent are on meds, make certain you have a 30-60 day supply on hand.

Contact your sitters/ nannies or other parents and see if you can set up a small childcare coop if k-12 closes.

Get ready to work from home.

Dry goods, beans and rice and lentils last a good long while.

Consider buying gift cards directly from your local small businesses that will suffer greatly from this. They need the money right now and you’ll be able to spend it eating out in a month or so.

• Like 1

For all those saying that this is all overblown and just another flu or cold...

Flu deaths this season world wide = 646k

Flu deaths in US this season = 12k-30k

Coronavirus deaths worldwide if 3.4% mortality rate (WHO estimate) = ~262 million

Coronavirus deaths in US if 3.4% mortality rate = 11.2 million

Coronavirus deaths if 2% mortality rate worldwide = 154 million

Coronavirus deaths in US if 2% mortality rate = 6.6 million

Coronavirus deaths if 1% mortality rate (what I tend to believe is a closer estimate) worldwide = 7.7 million

Coronavirus deaths in US if 1% mortality rate = 3.3 million

That is of course assuming that everyone in the world gets infected at some point. But even if only 50% become infected and it has a 1% mortality rate that is still 1.65 million dead in just the US. Which is 55 times more than the flu this year. There are also vaccines against the flu that help prevent spread and severity... no vaccine to stop coronavirus from spreading.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NIevo said:

Couple quick comments/notes.  As most of you have seen from my posts I'm not any more concerned about this virus then the flu or cold personally but you can't deny the impact it's having globally on both panicky people and more important the health care systems.  That being said:

If possible stock up on gas, diesel, and propane if you can.  I'm on several forums that honestly are more accurate and faster with news and info then any other source I've ever seen and just based on what several people have said that work the industry we are very close to some serious fuel issues due to shutdowns and cutbacks on production regardless of oil prices.

Also, not sure what some of you are seeing and going back to Brickolodon complaining about sales but the last week+ have been one of my busiest time-frames outside a holiday in a very long time.  Everything to small pieces orders to large expensive sets and to numerous countries outside the USA.

This is why Im glad we have this thread.

17 hours ago, NIevo said:

Couple quick comments/notes.  As most of you have seen from my posts I'm not any more concerned about this virus then the flu or cold personally but you can't deny the impact it's having globally on both panicky people and more important the health care systems.  That being said:

If possible stock up on gas, diesel, and propane if you can.  I'm on several forums that honestly are more accurate and faster with news and info then any other source I've ever seen and just based on what several people have said that work the industry we are very close to some serious fuel issues due to shutdowns and cutbacks on production regardless of oil prices.

Also, not sure what some of you are seeing and going back to Brickolodon complaining about sales but the last week+ have been one of my busiest time-frames outside a holiday in a very long time.  Everything to small pieces orders to large expensive sets and to numerous countries outside the USA.

The whole "fuel" shutdown scenario is a little overblown IMO.  I am in the oil business and hear no such thing.  Worst case scenario is that 20% of the population will be incapacitated for a length of time longer than two weeks.  Most of them are probably older and retired.  You can ask any business owner if they can afford to lose 20% of their workforce and they will say a definite "yes."  20% of the workforce takes up space in most companies, small or large.  Will there be disruptions?  Probably, but people will adapt and usage of fuel will go down.  Less driving and warmer temps are coning to reduce demand.