COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

9 hours ago, Legojona said:

I'm mostly afraid of the side effects of the panic. I think those are very real. Sorry to hear about the people getting laid off. 

In the Netherlands the stores are getting emptier and social gatherings are canceled. I worry for the elderly that are at the least socially isolated and at worst not recovering. 

Sad stuff. 

Blaming politicians for this is easy right now, but I will wait for the research afterwards to have a verdict. 

Agreed. The panic is much much worse than the disease itself. It is terrible to hear that people are losing their jobs, vacations cancelled, all the creature comforts and necessities of life are scarce or gone. Still in disbelief at the run on toilet paper. I legitimately ran out and went to find some this morning only to discover countless people with loads of it in their carts. Not food or medical supplies. TP????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NIevo said:

'You've got some serious mental and maybe anger issues.  Keep the needless childish bashing of our President of of this thread.  Also, whether it's being lost in translation or not stating you hope he "literally breaks his neck" should get you in some serious trouble.

Yes they will because people are quick to forget things.  But they are also prone to panicking which we are still going to see get much worse I fear.

are you trhreatening me? is that how I should read your message? I stand behind my statement and Im obviously not alone who thinks that he acted too late (see your news and experts). And his unwillingness to undergo a test speaks for itself.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

are you trhreatening me? is that how I should read your message? I stand behind my statement and Im obviously not alone who thinks that he acted too late (see your news and experts). And his unwillingness to undergo a test speaks for itself.

I’m not looking to get into the middle of any debates. The truth is, this is gonna get worse before it gets better. I’ll share this video. A couple weeks ago, It had less than 500k views. At least now more people are paying attention to what is happening around us, instead of watching cat videos.

Edited by Foreman Porgy
Plain text edit
  • Like 1

Turkey immediately closed all schools with only 5 known cases in the country. Just like Poland. That's the way to deal with this virus.

Almost 4k infected here in Germany, schools & bars only closed today. That's 3 weeks late, Mrs. Merkel! Shows that economy is more important than our lives. 

I love how all the voices playing this virus down as a flu-like harmless infection are silent now. This pandemic is serious. If it wasn't, China wouldn't have taken such extreme measures. The market crashed. This is not a recession anymore, it's a great depression. The virus wasn't the cause, it was only the trigger. I predict the downfall of the Euro & other currencies followed by a global digital currency system soon.

3 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Turkey immediately closed all schools with only 5 known cases in the country. Just like Poland. That's the way to deal with this virus.

Almost 4k infected here in Germany, schools & bars only closed today. That's 3 weeks late, Mrs. Merkel! Shows that economy is more important than our lives. 

I love how all the voices playing this virus down as a flu-like harmless infection are silent now. This pandemic is serious. If it wasn't, China wouldn't have taken such extreme measures. The market crashed. This is not a recession anymore, it's a great depression. The virus wasn't the cause, it was only the trigger. I predict the downfall of the Euro & other currencies followed by a global digital currency system soon.

I’ll take that bet. 

49 minutes ago, Foreman Porgy said:

At least now more people are paying attention to what is happening around us, instead of watching cat videos.

umm I think it's moved onto baby yoda videos and I'm still watching those too.   On another note Contagion is trending pretty high right now

• Like 1

It’s weird that states with 1-2 cases are shutting down school districts. I live in NY, and everything here is still open. Kids aren’t out of school until spring break next month. We have 40 cases in Nassau County alone. In the grand scheme of things, it’s still a very low number when there are millions living here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crayxlp said:

While I don't believe men in suits will be at your door, the moderators have warned against turning political in this topic. Wishing death upon a president may be ill advised in any case, not just discussing politics.

My wife and I went shopping today and found it interesting that preventive goods were wiped out (still don't understand why TP is #1), but items to help treat a flu/fever (Tylenol, cold/flu medicine, etc) were fully stocked. Maybe that'll be the next wave of shopping items after the lifetime supply of Purell doesn't do the trick.

I mentioned before (several times) that "your" situation in US is without any doubts getting worse. One of my reasons was the general availability of a healthcare to the public, but perhaps the most outstanding one that is valid for all the rest of the world is that epidemiologists all over and previously done WHO studies (in the past) indicated that to ANY viral publicly spread infection there are certain amounts or ratios of ppl who are suspectible / get infected earlier or later.. the numbers in average are that less than 5 prct of the population shows signs of infection in less than 3 days, while the majority around 90-95 prct shows that in 5-12 days period and the rest after 12 days.. which means that for any country in the world whoever was not "positive" on Thursday (yesterday) and even follows the most serious recommendations, could be proved positive on Monday. And that is the thing. Any new "positive" got infected a week or so ago. Thus the spread development in the most affected countries a few days ago should give you some idea how this could  develop also in US.

Edited by crayxlp

4 cases in San Diego County - two of which were flown here for so they could be quarantined- and all 30+ school districts are closed for 3-4 weeks. My own district - for now - is closed for 3 weeks because we take Easter Break after Easter (not the week before). So my kids will have a few days back before being off again.

Just got back from grocery shopping. Just my usual weekly shopping trip. Stores were crowded. No TP, very little meat, very little dry goods.

10 hours ago, KShine said:

The current situation is bad (to what extent exactly is uncertain, but unquestionably bad). Up until this, an honest view would be that things have been pretty great in this country the last 3 years (other than the media, and half the country simply hating everything/anything the president does). And yet every single day since his election has been portrayed as a national crisis/disaster (which it hasn't been). So now that something truly bad has happened - look out.

I don't believe that anyone else would have left us with fewer cases of the virus (and nothing anyone else would have done can compare to the benefits of the early shutdown of travel from China). Yes, he says absolutely awful things (if we let them off the boat our numbers will go up), but it is that drive (even if it is selfish) that benefits our nation. He might not care about anyone, but he wants to succeed, and although his motivations are likely far from pure and wholesome - that doesn't really matter.

I have to disagree

now is the time for the smartest people in their respective fields to advise the leaders.

NOT the most loyal yes-men this current administration has surrounded themselves with. This current adminstration is quick with blame and has harbored a culture of fear of disloyalty...

WE NEED TRUTH DAmmit and smart folks to be able to speak it without fear of reprisal

• Like 1

Can anyone link a credible scientific source that compares the OVERALL OUTCOME (so not just deaths but everything economically, socially, ...) between:

A. What the world will look like in 1 year from now with countries and people doing what they are doing now (closing down schools/ shops/ events/ everything else, quarantine, leading (together with other reasons) to a stock market crash, global recession, millions of people losing their jobs, and so forth - all that going on for maybe even up to a year.

and

B. What the world would have looked like 1 year from now if - together with some small adjustments and very exact information of the public right from the beginning - the pandemic would just have been "allowed to happen" and "go over as quickly as possible" while not limiting the economic and public life in any way?

I have never heard anything anywhere about scenario B, which seems odd since we are talking about a virus with a relatively low infectiousness / morbidity / mortality rate.

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

B. What the world would have looked like 1 year from now if - together with some small adjustments and very exact information of the public right from the beginning - the pandemic would just have been "allowed to happen" and "go over as quickly as possible" while not limiting the economic and public life in any way?

I have never heard anything anywhere about scenario B, which seems odd since we are talking about a virus with a relatively low infectiousness / morbidity / mortality rate.

In theory, with B, you risk over-running the medical system, which would drastically increase the mortality rate.

Also, in theory, we are still on path B.

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

In theory, with B, you risk over-running the medical system, which would drastically increase the mortality rate.

Also, in theory, we are still on path B.

I think oftentimes people are unaware as to how many immunocompromised people there are in the world. All different age groups, we have children with cancer and other chronic illness, or people with COPD from a life of smoking, to those who suffer from asthma. Option B (if we aren’t somewhat on that path already) would actually kill a lot of invisible people that most people are unaware of because they are already severely limited in participation with society as it is.

Edited by spener90
  • Like 2

Once again since page 1 of this thread I have been saying overwhelming our healthcare system and supply chain disruptions will be the bigger issue and finally the administration is getting the message out just now:

4F7063FF-B584-4034-A036-061F3716402E.png

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Can anyone link a credible scientific source that compares the OVERALL OUTCOME (so not just deaths but everything economically, socially, ...) between:

A. What the world will look like in 1 year from now with countries and people doing what they are doing now (closing down schools/ shops/ events/ everything else, quarantine, leading (together with other reasons) to a stock market crash, global recession, millions of people losing their jobs, and so forth - all that going on for maybe even up to a year.

and

to start, the 'relatively' low infectious rate/mortality rate is low because of the drastic measures that were taken in Asian. Most Countries went on complete lock down after only finding a few cases because they learned from the millions of deaths caused by SARS.  Research the death rate in Wuhan before they started lock down measures. I believe it was around 35% of those that contracted the virus early on. Also after age 50 the mortality rate drastically increases.you are talking averages when you insinuate low rates.however, This means Parents and grandparents are the highest risk(other than indv/prex condition)  I would say US is slowly catching on with all of the closures.  We as a nation are basically a larger version/model of what occurred in Europe(open borders along states). You should be asking the question, what state has the highest chance to be similar to Italy? What can we all do to avoid this?!  A year of lock down? Dude, anecdotally you should be able to conclude most everything would be turned upside down. But we are talking 2 weeks to a month!!  Think what I can do NOW to help. I get this is an investor site, but Crazy how people are still concerned with the economy. Folks, its going to recover, but will your parents?! Keep them safe, you stay safe and try to keep at home for a few weeks. Work on those lego projects!

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo
  • Thanks 1