Jurassic World 2015

Spacewalker95

6 hours ago, qcb13 said:

I wouldn't lose anything because I can return them.   If they don't come back, what set(s) do you think will be the most valuable? Is it worth keeping some sets to part out because of the unique dinos?  I am new to this but I am loving the thought of buying/keeping sets to sell later. 

this kind of crap is what is ruining it for all of us.

6 hours ago, pete411 said:

Returning them is a **** move. Return policies get stricter because of this type of activity and it hurts resellers in general. I know that TRU now requires an ID and will refuse returns after a certain point. Anyways, if you do hold on to these for the medium/long term, you'll eventually make your money back and then some but it might take a year or two. Hopefully you bought them at a decent discount? If you're buying at RRP in hopes of flipping, you really have to know what you're doing and it's better to buy one less than you can sell rather than a mass overbuy. 

I recently ran into the same issue with Amiibos. Bought dozens but ended up selling at close to my cost after fees. I only ended up returning two of them.

I'm going to be the ass here and ask why you can say it's a dbag move to return them and then to say at the bottom you returned two Amiibos you couldn't flip?

(And yes, it's a rhetorical question... the LEGO JW sets are still expected to increase in value after retirement whereas Amiibos generally only lose value over time)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, randrace said:

It's definitely work, but I think the opposite is true concerning splitting sets increasing your rate of complaints and returns. From reading this board, I get the impression most complaints are due to box condition. Splitting sets takes the box out of the equation. 

you are correct that "we think" splitting sets would take the box out of the equation but people usually open up NAD on parted/structures (why because there is no box).

you can be 100% accurate in description and have mentioned that there is no box, or its only part, still majority has problem understanding that there is such thing as lego structure without boxes ;)

its not the sellers fault but most people either knowingly or UN-knowingly don't read the description carefully or understand it completely or they just pretend that they expected something else.

this is a nightmare to deal with. NAD, then the feedback nightmare. request of return and NAD and issues are about 15% on these { on a large sample size at least that was my experience before} but when one is just starting out/dealing my 0.02 would be to tread it very lightly. otherwise you have to deal with all these seller's "misfortune". if it happens on the first 2-3 sales of these .. trust me one would never want to separate and sell again.

16 hours ago, gregpj said:

I'm going to be the ass here and ask why you can say it's a dbag move to return them and then to say at the bottom you returned two Amiibos you couldn't flip?

(And yes, it's a rhetorical question... the LEGO JW sets are still expected to increase in value after retirement whereas Amiibos generally only lose value over time)

• Like 1

I wish some would read the entire posts where I state that I am new at this and wanted advice, and then KEEP reading the posts where I say I'm not going to return them because I didn't realize that it was hurting resellers!  I asked for advice, got it, and took it.  No more comments needed about how bad it would be or how crappy it would be to return them.  Now, advice on what to do with them now that I have them would be nice.  And I appreciate the members who are taking their time to give advice to a newbie without criticizing my very first post to the board.  I believe we were all new at this once and wishing advice was in reach.  

That is all I'm doing...

Thank you to those who are helping...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, qcb13 said:

I thought about parting them out.  I will try a couple and see what happens!  I don't mind parting out a few, keeping some.  I guess i'm just so new to this, I need a push.  I won't return.  I may not make anything on some of the sets but I'm not going to loose anything...

I did get the $10 free gift card with each of 7 75918 sets that I got from TRU and sold them at face value.  So 7 of the sets I really got for $64.99!!

And the 75919 sets are still selling for a good bit above retail, just not the $200 I sold some for before Christmas...

Well, I guess JW could be good for making aquatic environments with snow.... maybe those that have arctic city set environments will need them.  :)

In all seriousness, I think just give it a few months and you will be able to make a profit.  I've already made some decent returns on these sets.  I've sold one complete set, and a few combo's over the last 4 months.  Some of them like GT and RE combo's netted about a 90% return.

It's always normal to be skeptical about sets that you invested in that haven't retired..  But, they will retire and probably sooner rather than later, and I think by that point, you will see a nice rise in value on all of these (granted some will be better than others).  On amazon, the reseller count on most JW sets was halved over Christmas.  Rinse and repeat next year, and into 2018 when the new movie creates another spike in demand for these, and I think you will see a nice spike.  Most kids love Dinosaurs, and so it's just a solid theme to invest in.  And if lego lands the rights to the new movie in 2018 and produces another round of dinos, then I think those that hold past them movie will be raking it in.

3 hours ago, qcb13 said:

I wish some would read the entire posts where I state that I am new at this and wanted advice, and then KEEP reading the posts where I say I'm not going to return them because I didn't realize that it was hurting resellers!  I asked for advice, got it, and took it.  No more comments needed about how bad it would be or how crappy it would be to return them.  Now, advice on what to do with them now that I have them would be nice.  And I appreciate the members who are taking their time to give advice to a newbie without criticizing my very first post to the board.  I believe we were all new at this once and wishing advice was in reach.  

That is all I'm doing...

It's hard to answer you because everyone's financial / space situation and goals are diff. 

What was your plan when buying that many sets if they didn't sell?  

My advice on the JW sets is a I have 20 Raptor Escapes, and 37 of the 75919 sets, and I am keeping them all on what I paid for the 75919 sets I would be stupid to return any, no matter if they are done soon or last until the end of the year these will be very popular and will bring good money down the road.   Ed

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

Too early. Until I see the official "Retired Product" on the US page, Wal-Mart might still be able to muscle Lego into suppling them more.

i have plenty of space for this; so if walmart in US restocks i will be buying them. i sold all of my stock during nov-dec :) and have ran out :( completely.

8 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

i have plenty of space for this; so if walmart in US restocks i will be buying them. i sold all of my stock during nov-dec :) and have ran out :( completely.

I am still sitting on 70ish of these. Halting sales on these now. Can other BPers please report back if they are spotting RE in Walmart and provide seal codes if possible. Thanks!

1 hour ago, tacsniper said:

Too early. Until I see the official "Retired Product" on the US page, Wal-Mart might still be able to muscle Lego into suppling them more.

i'm popping bottles with Drake and Erkel because of New Years Eve............  and because RE staying SOLD OUT.

and walmart still has them in stock.

only they are charging $111.96 -  and no - that is not toywiz price ($114.99), that's the Walton family's price :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Jurassic-World-Raptor-Escape-Play-Set/44896519

maybe walmart jacked up the price because they are almost out too.

you are going to be sooooooo happy to have 70 of these.

I like how it still says:   We're sorry that this set is not available. Please check back in February for product availability.

Edited by cladner

5 hours ago, qcb13 said:

That is all I'm doing...

I think you just need to sit back and take the criticism with a grain a salt... Many members here will be helpful, some will just be asses... Unfortunately, that's how it goes in a public forum.

I'll say this without trying to be rude, but if you can't afford to sit on them until they retire and appreciate in value, you should not have taken the risk of flipping for a profit. So many new investors turn out to be new flippers instead and turn to the experienced members in these forums to bail them out. Unfortunately that's now how the real world works.

You need to decide what YOU want out of this. Do you plan on just continuing to flip them for profits? Or are you in this for a long term hold (let's say 2+ years)? Only once you answer the question about what your motivations here are (short term or long term) will we be able to offer good advice. But if you really want to unload them, we don't allow selling on the forums. You could always try putting them up on Brick Classifieds as a bulk lot for what you need to at least break even after costs? You never know who is looking to increase their numbers.

That is all I'm doing...

I think you just need to sit back and take the criticism with a grain a salt... Many members here will be helpful, some will just be asses... Unfortunately, that's how it goes in a public forum.

I'll say this without trying to be rude, but if you can't afford to sit on them until they retire and appreciate in value, you should not have taken the risk of flipping for a profit. So many new investors turn out to be new flippers instead and turn to the experienced members in these forums to bail them out. Unfortunately that's now how the real world works.

You need to decide what YOU want out of this. Do you plan on just continuing to flip them for profits? Or are you in this for a long term hold (let's say 2+ years)? Only once you answer the question about what your motivations here are (short term or long term) will we be able to offer good advice. But if you really want to unload them, we don't allow selling on the forums. You could always try putting them up on Brick Classifieds as a bulk lot for what you need to at least break even after costs? You never know who is looking to increase their numbers.

You could also offer a trade...

In my opinion, returning is not a wuss move especially if you are new to this. If you are within the return window, return some- spread them out if you have a few of that store in your area. Take it as a learning experience as the embarrassment of even returning 2+ at a time will be something you don't forget. Move on and don't be so quick to buy even based on our comments- I have learned much from fellow members that has been profitable, and also not so profitable, as we speak from our own experiences, and the outcome is not always what we imagined. Do your homework and make better decisions next time based on your research and not others. Bottom line if you can't afford them, it's ok to return some. Everyone who went in deep with JW may be in similar scenarios, as these were bought heavily for the resell market.

• Like 1

I am in for the long haul.  I have been reading so many articles about investing in LEGO sets and that is what I want to do.  I did start out flipping them because I wanted to use that money to invest in other sets, soon to retire sets, etc...

And no, I don't plan on flipping anymore sets.  When I say unload some sets, it is because I would like to acquire some of the other JW sets in order to have complete collections.  Maybe that doesn't matter so much...  

And trading is an awesome idea!!!  Anyone wasn't to trade T.Rex for RE or the polybag?

So, there it is... in for the long haul, want to start seriously investing, NOT flipping.  That was a short term fix for me.