Jurassic World 2015

Spacewalker95

With Mattel getting the license for Jurassic World, I'd assume that means that we won't see new LEGO sets for the next film.  On the one hand I'm disappointed because I feel the sets released for Jurassic World were sub-par and was hoping that a second wave might be a bit better developed.  On the other hand I'm guessing that means the long-term value of the existing wave will benefit from the lack of a new release.

22 minutes ago, trekgate502 said:

Considering Mattel bought Mega Bloks a few years back, I think that means Jurassic World is going to move over there.  

While, they probably will do the franchise better justice compared to what Hasbro did with it, I think that means the end for lego making JW sets.  But, that might be a good thing because there won't be more raptor and trex sets coming through lego... so prices could very much rise over that inferior mega bloks crapola.

The press release is a bit ambiguous though. It doesn't specially call out building blocks. The article does specially mention one you rights holder losing out to another.

You would think it would specially mention LEGO.

On the other hand, I would think Mattel would want it and it's entirely possible that LEGO's license was a limited license.

5 minutes ago, emazers said:

so Mattel will have the Jurassic Park License for toys instead of Hasbro, How does that effect if Lego wants or gets the License, Its up to Lego and Universal if there will be new sets in 2018.

Well, it depends if the license included building sets. If it does, then more than likely Megbloks would take over the license.  

Hasbro and Lego operated seperately from one another over the last round, just like they do with their star wars licenses, so who knows if it was a package deal in which they get pretty much the entire licenses to the toy lines, from the way the article is written that sounds like it may be the case. .  

22 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

The press release is a bit ambiguous though. It doesn't specially call out building blocks. The article does specially mention one you rights holder losing out to another.

You would think it would specially mention LEGO.

On the other hand, I would think Mattel would want it and it's entirely possible that LEGO's license was a limited license.

This.  We have no idea.

That is fact.

Anything more is speculation and can go in the transfer rights speculation thread lol ..... Joke

It does not stop Lego from offering Mattel a handsome license fee or Mattel demands a hefty license fee from Lego. If Lego made a killing on the current JW theme and they feel they can make a profit after license fees, they will do it. After all, Lego will just jack the price if needed to cover any increase cost. At the end of the day, money talks. If Mattel can get big chunk of change from Lego for doing nothing, then why not extend the deal to another company. Hey maybe Mattel can learn something from Lego to improve its Mega Blocks line ;)

BTW: I am glad Hasbro lost the license. IMHO, their toys are garbage for the JW line up. A Walmart had their dinosaurs on clearance for $5 or $10 and I walked away because of how ugly and stupid they are. I still don't understand why there is a small part of flesh showing on every dino they produced in the line. Its sad to say, but I think the knock off Lego compatible dinos are better value than the Hasbro plastic. 

Edited by tacsniper

Obviously 2 things can happen with Jurassic World 2

1) like with Jurrasic World 1, Lego gets the building toy license while another company does the action figures.   This will hurt JW 1 Lego sets in terms of value regardless whether Lego releases another Dino-like theme.

2) Lego does get the JW 2 license.   JW 1 sets will remain in demand and prob appreciate similar to Dino sets.  

Unless Lego thinks the JW 1 sets sold like a "dog", I think there will be Lego JW 2 sets.  Granted, I haven't seen (more of a glance) much demand at retail since last Winter.

Side topic.  it does concern me of all the positive comments I've read on Amazon about knock-off JW dinos and minifigs.  Many Parents just want to buy their little kids the cheapest option.  

27 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

Well,  these are definitely doing the dance. Get em while you can (...and then I end up totally wrong lulz).

I hope to get my latest order of RR fulfilled from SAH as these only ever got one drop here Down Under.

Agreed. IR and RR look real shakey at oz LEGO Shop at Home. RR is back ordered at 5 weeks now.

8 hours ago, tacsniper said:

It does not stop Lego from offering Mattel a handsome license fee or Mattel demands a hefty license fee from Lego. If Lego made a killing on the current JW theme and they feel they can make a profit after license fees, they will do it. After all, Lego will just jack the price if needed to cover any increase cost. At the end of the day, money talks. If Mattel can get big chunk of change from Lego for doing nothing, then why not extend the deal to another company. Hey maybe Mattel can learn something from Lego to improve its Mega Blocks line ;)

BTW: I am glad Hasbro lost the license. IMHO, their toys are garbage for the JW line up. A Walmart had their dinosaurs on clearance for $5 or $10 and I walked away because of how ugly and stupid they are. I still don't understand why there is a small part of flesh showing on every dino they produced in the line. Its sad to say, but I think the knock off Lego compatible dinos are better value than the Hasbro plastic. 

Usually that is not how it works. Usually it will be the property holder that licenses out to the company that makes the toys.  Sure, Mattel could sublease out to Lego, but I doubt that is what transpired.  I guess, the question is are ALL toys to be designed and developed by Mattel?  

Mattel purchased Mega Bloks a few years back..  So, do the math to where the JW line is going!

Last time Universal directly announced the Lego relationship

until or if we read the contract of the old agreement or the contract of the new agreement or get an announcement that it is Lego or megablok we will not know

http://brickset.com/article/12650/it-s-official-lego-jurassic-world-sets-due-next-year

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-jurassic-world-sets-officially-announced-by-by-universal/

14 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Were the JW dinos new molds?

If so, LEGO has some molds now they can reuse for their own dinosaur line if they don't have the build license. And timing that new line around the release of JW2 (if the first line was a cash cow for them) would be obvious.

only new mold was the dilophosaurus and indominus rex. the rest were from the previous Dino line

3 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Obviously 2 things can happen with Jurassic World 2

1) like with Jurrasic World 1, Lego gets the building toy license while another company does the action figures.   This will hurt JW 1 Lego sets in terms of value regardless whether Lego releases another Dino-like theme.

2) Lego does get the JW 2 license.   JW 1 sets will remain in demand and prob appreciate similar to Dino sets.  

Unless Lego thinks the JW 1 sets sold like a "dog", I think there will be Lego JW 2 sets.  Granted, I haven't seen (more of a glance) much demand at retail since last Winter.

Side topic.  it does concern me of all the positive comments I've read on Amazon about knock-off JW dinos and minifigs.  Many Parents just want to buy their little kids the cheapest option.  

That's a concern across the entire Lego range, not just JW.  Unless you are selling to a die hard collector or real Lego fan, you always run the risk of parents opting towards the Lepin sets at a fraction of the price!!! #bubblethread #enterIronBrick

• 1 month later...