Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

Just now, thoroakenfelder said:

Do you charge a restocking fee if someone wants you to refund them before you ship the item? I don't feel like I should be out $.30 on PayPal just because they got cold feet.

Yeah, I shouldn't be out the $.30 but I don't want to risk ticking off the buyer over $.30 and get bad feedback. Not worth it.  

What's good fellow brick heads just a quick ? I want to sell some old sets on EBay. I used to flip out of print music before digital downloads but with old sets I am a little unsure of how low to start  or if I just have a buy it now option? Should I be using the Brickpicker Price Guide as a selling start point and are buyers looking at the Price Guide to determine their purchases?

1 minute ago, stanleycoolbrick said:

What's good fellow brick heads just a quick ? I want to sell some old sets on EBay. I used to flip out of print music before digital downloads but with old sets I am a little unsure of how low to start  or if I just have a buy it now option? Should I be using the Brickpicker Price Guide as a selling start point and are buyers looking at the Price Guide to determine their purchases?

I would recommend Buy It Now with Immediate Payment Required.  Review the latest sold listings for a more up to date going price.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, stanleycoolbrick said:

I agree, I would do buy it now and price similar to other items that have previously sold.  I usually set the price a little higher then those have previously sold, then if it hasn't sold after a week maybe drop it by a few bucks.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just sold my last GBH on EBay. Buyer messages me and requests "can you ship this after Oct 24th". What do I do? This is going to kill my metrics (on my way to TSR) if I delay shipping. I can do the "send out an envelope with in it the tracking number" trick but maybe EBay needs that to be trackable too .... I'm on the hook for shipping (free shipping) so don't want to jump through too many hoops. Anyone any advice?

Just now, Phil B said:

Just sold my last GBH on EBay. Buyer messages me and requests "can you ship this after Oct 24th". What do I do? This is going to kill my metrics (on my way to TSR) if I delay shipping. I can do the "send out an envelope with in it the tracking number" trick but maybe EBay needs that to be trackable too .... I'm on the hook for shipping (free shipping) so don't want to jump through too many hoops. Anyone any advice?

That's kinda weird....you could ship them a 3oz first class package with a receipt in it. That would get around eBay dinging you for late shipping. But it'll cost you $2.xx, which is a drag. 

(Politely) explain to the buyer that eBay dings sellers who do not ship timely, but you'd be willing to accept a (buyer requested) cancellation, and re-list them item, and they could re-purchase (waiting until the 23rd/24th to send payment).

edit: I've used this approach before, downsides just seem to be (1) if the buyer doesn't respond promptly you're kinda between a rock and hard place still, and (2) you could incur an additional listing fee, subject to your limits.  But it does avoid an extra shipping fee, or sitting on the phone for eBay customer service...

Edited by AirborneAFOL

12 minutes ago, Phil B said:

It is fine to do.  If you do get the metric hit you contact ebay and refer them to the customers request email.  They will take it off.   It says it somewhere in the score rules I just don't remember exactly where.   When I get them I just print the label and let it sit until the date they request and then release it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

It is fine to do.  If you do get the metric hit you contact ebay and refer them to the customers request email.  They will take it off.   It says it somewhere in the score rules I just don't remember exactly where.   When I get them I just print the label and let it sit until the date they request and then release it.

My understanding was eBay looks at the courrier pickup date, and would still ding you for it having sat idle (printed label but no courrier processing) for a few days.  No?

2 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

My understanding was eBay looks at the courrier pickup date, and would still ding you for it having sat idle (printed label but no courrier processing) for a few days.  No?

It can yes but you have an email asking for delayed shipment and they still want customer service first and if you contact them it will be taken off if you actually get one. I get asked quite a bit to do it and I very rarely get a ding.  I was stating to print it so it is out of your awaiting shipment and the buyer and ebay see you printed it right away and were just honoring the customers request.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

It can yes but you have an email asking for delayed shipment and they still want customer service first and if you contact them it will be taken off if you actually get one. I get asked quite a bit to do it and I very rarely get a ding.  I was stating to print it so it is out of your awaiting shipment and the buyer and ebay see you printed it right away and were just honoring the customers request.

Gotchya.  Makes sense from the "bolstering your case to eBay rep that you were on the ball with things" angle.

30 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Just sold my last GBH on EBay . Buyer messages me and requests "can you ship this after Oct 24th". What do I do? This is going to kill my metrics (on my way to TSR) if I delay shipping. I can do the "send out an envelope with in it the tracking number" trick but maybe EBay needs that to be trackable too .... I'm on the hook for shipping (free shipping) so don't want to jump through too many hoops. Anyone any advice?

If I recall correctly, while in transit at least with ups (and I guess FedEX also), the buyer can request a special delivery (like holding the package) for a fee.

Found the info again.  Pasted it below.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/build-your-business-online/deliver-great-service/on-time-shipping.html#faq=faq-13

What should I do if my buyer asks me to delay shipment because he or she is out of town?

We know this happens sometimes, and that you’re doing the right thing by adhering to your buyer's wishes. Just make sure you have proof of your customer’s request through member-to-member communication. If your shipping performance is negatively impacted as a result of the delay in shipping, you can contact eBay Customer Support and we will review and remove the late shipment if we find that it was a result of the buyer’s request.

• Like 8

If I recall correctly, while in transit at least with ups (and I guess FedEX also), the buyer can request a special delivery (like holding the package) for a fee.

Yes, UPS recipient can request specific delivery date for $5 fee. Not sure what the limits of putting delivery off are though.
Raven's suggestion of printing and possibly talking to eBay CS makes most sense imo.
  • Like 1

All, great input. Thanks! With a sale date of Oct 13 (I have 1 day shipping so I can mail this on the 14th) and a "no ship before the 24th" condition, I have another pickle .... I can only print labels with a drop-off date that is 2 days in advance, not 10 days. And what I've looked up on Ebay forums says that USPS can reject packages with an incorrect ship date, at that they might be lenient up to 4 days from the ship date, not 10.

If anyone has any tips there, let me know. I know that with other shippers I can probably get a label that is longer valid, but that's not in scope of my free shipping (was supposed to be <$3.50 using First Class). So unless I hold off printing a shipping label until the 24th, the tactic of printing and preparing now, and shipping on the 24th wouldn't work.

Going to call EBay CS now.

Alright - EBay rep took screenshot of buyer request, added it to the record, and told me to delay printing the label until the 24th. She said that, given my 100% scores on all metrics, this wouldn't negatively affect my seller rating, but upon my insistence she confirmed that I can just call on the 20th when the next ratings are done and get the ding from  not shipping this one on time removed based on her record of our call and the screenshot she took.

So basically exactly what @ravenb99 said.

I'm good to go. Thanks folks!

• Like 5

Next EBay gripe. Sold a Ghost + Phantom a little while back. 6-7lbs package. EBay quoted me $13.55 using FedEx SmartPost, so I printed the label. Have a confirmation email stating this price. I'm checking on my account today, EBay/FedEx has charged me $27.31 for a 20lbs freight package. I've already called EBay and they are opening a dispute with FedEx. They advised me to call FedEx as well (offices closed, will call tomorrow).

Has this happened to anyone of you and what is my best course of action?

5 minutes ago, Jackson said:

What box dimensions did FedEx use?

Where can I see that? All I have is a teeny tiny line in my EBay selling fees giving me a shipping rate (~$25), an admin fee ($2.50) and an $0.86 discount. The box I used myself was 28x19x4.

Edited by Phil B

13 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Where can I see that? All I have is a teeny tiny line in my EBay selling fees giving me a shipping rate (~$25), an admin fee ($2.50) and an $0.86 discount. The box I used myself was 28x19x4.

yes you got hit with dimensional weight.  

that size box would probably be measured closer to 29x20x5 as box measurements are inside .

the calculator is here

http://www.fedex.com/in/tools/dimweight.html

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 1

I added some other info up there about the Dim weight.  If you entered it all before it should of given you an accurate one other then the box being measured as the box size you used other than what they measure.  Just that extra 1" on all 3 sides raises its dim weight from 16lbs to 21lbs.

I don't like it either as I get hit with stupid charges all the time through UPS.  They are both very similar in there DIM weight charges.