Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

Got my first SNAD over the weekend. Sold a 8635 Agents Mobile Command Center. Listed it as new and sealed and posted pics of the seals that were slipping due to age and moving around in storage. Buyer requested a return with the following comments:

The seals on this item had been opened at some point and then resealed. It s evident when the glue on the box doesn t match the seal and when box ink is torn and stuck on the back side of the seal. I wish to return this item.

(second response after I said I would offer him a partial refund and stating that the set has never been opened) Hi, The item is exactly as it was received.I work with a lot of Lego sets, and it does appear that the seals have been manipulated. I would prefer to return the set.

I sent my last response yesterday and provided him a specific dollar amount of the partial refund I would give him in my message. I'm awaiting his reply. The only options eBay offers me is to 1) Accept the Return (with me paying the return shipping), 2) Refund the Buyer (and let him keep the item), and 3) Offer a Partial Refund. Should there be another option for eBay to decide whether I'm at fault or the buyer? It's so one-sided. 

Lessons learned: If the seals are slipping, specifically state that in the item description and don't select New. Should I also have said, buyer will pay return shipping in the Item Description? Would that even help? Any other advice to avoid SNAD's in the future is much appreciated. Thanks guys!

18 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Got my first SNAD over the weekend. Sold a 8635 Agents Mobile Command Center. Listed it as new and sealed and posted pics of the seals that were slipping due to age and moving around in storage. Buyer requested a return with the following comments:

The seals on this item had been opened at some point and then resealed. It s evident when the glue on the box doesn t match the seal and when box ink is torn and stuck on the back side of the seal. I wish to return this item.

(second response after I said I would offer him a partial refund and stating that the set has never been opened) Hi, The item is exactly as it was received.I work with a lot of Lego sets, and it does appear that the seals have been manipulated. I would prefer to return the set.

I sent my last response yesterday and provided him a specific dollar amount of the partial refund I would give him in my message. I'm awaiting his reply. The only options eBay offers me is to 1) Accept the Return (with me paying the return shipping), 2) Refund the Buyer (and let him keep the item), and 3) Offer a Partial Refund. Should there be another option for eBay to decide whether I'm at fault or the buyer? It's so one-sided. 

Lessons learned: If the seals are slipping, specifically state that in the item description and don't select New. Should I also have said, buyer will pay return shipping in the Item Description? Would that even help? Any other advice to avoid SNAD's in the future is much appreciated. Thanks guys!

I would have just accepted the return. Going to cost you about as much as a partial refund, and it's what the buyer requested. Then update your listing and sell the item for more :)

• Like 1

Always be courteous, and be willing to accept a return (after all, you have little choice anyway).

You can certainly offer the option of a partial refund to the buyer (when it feels like a reasonable option), but if they want to return the item, it is best to just accept the return (without a hassle).

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I would have just accepted the return. Going to cost you about as much as a partial refund, and it's what the buyer requested. Then update your listing and sell the item for more :)

I appreciate the advice. I didn't want the hassle of reselling it so that's why I offered the partial refund. Also, I sold this during the "Don't pay more than $20 during the month of June" promo so there were no eBay selling fees on it. Mainly, I didn't want the hassle of relisting. 

25 minutes ago, KShine said:

Always be courteous, and be willing to accept a return (after all, you have little choice anyway).

You can certainly offer the option of a partial refund to the buyer (when it feels like a reasonable option), but if they want to return the item, it is best to just accept the return (without a hassle).

Thanks for the advice. I was a bit emotional when I replied because I feel like he's nitpicking. I'll remember to cool down first before replying.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some advice or suggestions, from someone with experience please:

I never sold any gift cards, I am about to, so when selling gift cards;

Do you tend to sell with the pin scratched or unscratched? (do you scratch it and keep it for record that you had the card and balance?)

Do you send the store receipt of transaction or do you keep that again for record. (this seems obvious to me that I the seller would keep it) 

Thanks in advance,

1 hour ago, Deanfjr said:

I need some advice or suggestions, from someone with experience please:

I never sold any gift cards, I am about to, so when selling gift cards;

Do you tend to sell with the pin scratched or unscratched? (do you scratch it and keep it for record that you had the card and balance?)

Do you send the store receipt of transaction or do you keep that again for record. (this seems obvious to me that I the seller would keep it) 

Thanks in advance,

I've sent the gift card both ways, pin scratched and unscratched.  Well, I only sent the unscratched one in that condition because I'd already unscratched it but never used the card.  But I think a buyer would be more comfortable purchasing an unscratched card.  Just state the condition in the listing and you should be fine.  And I keep the store receipt for my records. 

• Like 1

So, I see the various seasonal sets do well around the holidays. Would there be much potential/profit to be made in coming up with your own little Lego holiday models and selling them? Like not the official models, but coming up with your own little unique creation, buying the parts off bricklink, and selling them 

e.g. a turkey at thanksgiving, ghost at Halloween, etc. 

Edited by Stud-Flipper

I think they could have potential, but Lego sells the seasonal set for us, in regards to marketing. The seasonal set picture is in their catalogue and on the front page of their site. People know what to look for. How one could get the necessary exposure to sell lots could be the challenge I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I think they could have potential, but Lego sells the seasonal set for us, in regards to marketing. The seasonal set picture is in their catalogue and on the front page of their site. People know what to look for. How one could get the necessary exposure to sell lots could be the challenge I think.

I was thinking the aim would be more towards casual parents and grandparents and such just looking to find something else little to throw in their child's Easter basket,stocking, etc. People looking for party favors, not willing to go bust on $5 lego sets. Just like a basic ~20 piece 2d model of a snowman or something, nothing fancy. I suppose it might be better to sell them in a group of like 10, and hope to get lucky and sell to a church or something, e.g. 'lot of 10 custom Lego easter eggs'

Edited by Stud-Flipper

What does this even mean? Am selling a lot on Ebay of 2 sealed Ninjago sets. Some guy messages me "how big are the items?" I guess I'll tell him the box dimensions, but I don't see how that's relevant as it's free shipping.

I've never received such a question and I've been on eBay since 2000. He may mean when built. People are strange but I know you know that.
  • Like 2

God, I'm incompetent. Just had to refund someone's money. I seemed to have thought it was a good idea to package 4 battlepacks together, wrapped around 5 or 6 times with Walmart bags, and then wrapped with brown manilla paper, with no box or anything. Needless to say, the package came destroyed.

2 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

^^^

24d859f65a8c794e7304412b79dedd1c.jpg

It wasn't a joke.

'

Return reason: Doesn't match description or photos
Comments:

the boxes are destroyed. shipped in a paper bag! they are all crushed looks like they were ran over by a truck, not minor shelf wear like listed. poor shipping resulted in this. I will not pay One penny out of pocket to return these items when this is tour fault for doing this. this is ridiculous. I am shocked you would ship like this. Common sense. collectible boxed items shipped in a paper bag. unbelievable. I will expect a refund immediately and if you want the destroyed items back I will expect $9.45 sent to my paypal account to return them.

'i dont collect bad boxes. like the 4 destroyed items you just sent me. I am absolutely furious right now. I am trying to let you fix this before filing a claim with paypal. I will not pay one penny out of my pocket to return destroyed items that you shipped in a paper bag. I have never had a seller ship like this and purchased over 50 sets off ebay. could of walked into a store and paid same price for perfect boxes. these are worthless crushed as if a 50 pound weight was dropped on them. I want a refund '

6 minutes ago, Migration said:

You seriously didn't use a box?  It would have been the exact same shipping cost. Wow.

I was supposed to have shipped them the day before, but a family emergency had occurred and I wasn't able to send them in time. So, I was rushing. I second guessed myself before sending it, but ultimately did anyway. And they had said they were making a display so I didn't think they'd care if it was a little dinged up. But seriously, I'm new to this, but in the 25 or so lots I've sold so far, I've always used a box. This was a one time thing. And they weren't rare or anything, just First Order Battle packs, which I'm sure the contents are fine. But anyways, I refunded them and told them they could just keep them.

Edited by Stud-Flipper

34 minutes ago, Stud-Flipper said:

God, I'm incompetent. Just had to refund someone's money. I seemed to have thought it was a good idea to package 4 battlepacks together, wrapped around 5 or 6 times with Walmart bags, and then wrapped with brown manilla paper, with no box or anything. Needless to say, the package came destroyed.

Honestly what you did matches your avatar so it makes sense. ;-)

Apline better hide your comment before @gregpj gets a hold of it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stud-Flipper said:

I was supposed to have shipped them the day before, but a family emergency had occurred and I wasn't able to send them in time. So, I was rushing. I second guessed myself before sending it, but ultimately did anyway. And they had said they were making a display so I didn't think they'd care if it was a little dinged up. But seriously, I'm new to this, but in the 25 or so lots I've sold so far, I've always used a box. This was a one time thing. And they weren't rare or anything, just First Order Battle packs, which I'm sure the contents are fine. But anyways, I refunded them and told them they could just keep them.

Since you offered free shipping, at least you didn't have to refund their shipping costs too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Honestly what you did matches your avatar so it makes sense. ;-)

Apline better hide your comment before @gregpj gets a hold of it.

I can already see next weeks article about lego investing in the mirror.

"I flip sets as soon as they come out, and to cut costs wrap it in paper and walmart bags to save on shipping costs.  This lego reselling is better than gold"...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/how-made-thousands-buying-lego-8562064

• Like 5

Well...

Constructively you might checkout these two threads below. One to learn what to do and the other to remind you what not to do.

Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes
http://community.brickpicker.com/index.php?/topic/10003-Materials-guide-for-LEGO-selling-%26-shipping-including-postage-box-sizes

Thread of Packaging Excellence (sarcasm!)
http://community.brickpicker.com/index.php?/topic/10190-Thread-of-Packaging-Excellence

• Like 1