Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

Derricku - You've pro'ly gotten the message already but I like to talk, so... I made the same mistake when I started out... sold one of my first items at a small loss via auction. I thought eBay was all about auctions, but for selling Lego, BIN is the way to go. Just take a look at the last 12 Friends Grand Hotels sold on eBay (all sold in the last week or so):

BuyItNow (price with shipping): $100, $99, $89, $100, $108, $107, $100, $100, $105

Auction: $77 + shipping, $77 + shipping, $73 + shipping

That's all the evidence you need that (for this set anyway) auction sellers are dopes ;)

I have read that eBay auctions are best for more rare, highly desired items. I've been selling about 2 years now and can't think of any reason to sell anything (even the "rarer" items) in my collection by auction. There are Brickpickers who will dispute this... some use auctions all the time and claim to make big money.  But for an item like this, still widely available in stores, and with 140 sellers on eBay, I just don't see that happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenxxx said:

Derricku - You've pro'ly gotten the message already but I like to talk, so... I made the same mistake when I started out... sold one of my first items at a small loss via auction. I thought eBay was all about auctions, but for selling Lego, BIN is the way to go. Just take a look at the last 12 Friends Grand Hotels sold on eBay (all sold in the last week or so):

BuyItNow (price with shipping): $100, $99, $89, $100, $108, $107, $100, $100, $105

Auction: $77 + shipping, $77 + shipping, $73 + shipping

That's all the evidence you need that (for this set anyway) auction sellers are dopes ;)

I have read that eBay auctions are best for more rare, highly desired items. I've been selling about 2 years now and can't think of any reason to sell anything (even the "rarer" items) in my collection by auction. There are Brickpickers who will dispute this... some use auctions all the time and claim to make big money.  But for an item like this, still widely available in stores, and with 140 sellers on eBay, I just don't see that happening.

I sold 2 Ginger bread houses by auction last Christmas (couldn't sell on Amazon) as an experiment - I also listed 2 as BIN. My BINs included free shipping, my auctions were "plus shipping". I did indeed get less for my auction ones than for my BIN ones ($43 all in vs $55), but it was a safe gamble (in the end those GBHs were freebies). Other experienced posters have outlined that auctions are more for rarer items where it is difficult to establish a good price (or for dumping items where you really don't care what it sells for).

• Like 1

Regarding photos - I can also attest that using "stock photos" (via Brickset) vs actual photos does not result in a statustically significant sales outcome (based on my analysis across ~350 items the past 24 months).

HOWEVER, my analysis is based on a few key assumptions:

(1) seller has a credible track record established (50+ positive feedbacks) and sold via Ebay,

(2) listing is clear that the item pictured is "in hand" with no reason to suspect a drop shipper, and

(3) listing is for a complete or partial ("parted out") set item that is in the $5-$150 range.  I have not crunched any numbers for high value ($150+) sets, or individual brick lots.

If anyone else has run any similar studies, I'd love to hear the parameters and findings, perhaps we can marry up our data and find some complimentary insights...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Regarding photos - I can also attest that using "stock photos" (via Brickset) vs actual photos does not result in a statustically significant sales outcome (based on my analysis across ~350 items the past 24 months).

HOWEVER, my analysis is based on a few key assumptions:

(1) seller has a credible track record established (50+ positive feedbacks) and sold via Ebay,

(2) listing is clear that the item pictured is "in hand" with no reason to suspect a drop shipper, and

(3) listing is for a complete or partial ("parted out") set item that is in the $5-$150 range.  I have not crunched any numbers for high value ($150+) sets, or individual brick lots.

If anyone else has run any similar studies, I'd love to hear the parameters and findings, perhaps we can marry up our data and find some complimentary insights...

Not a big seller, having just started 6 months ago, but I always show front & back pictures of the actual box (quick snaps with iPad or cellphone in a well lit room against a neutral background - takes me 2-3 mins tops), if necessary additional photos of damage to the box, then brickset/bricklink pictures of the actual contents. I do this because those are the listings I trust myself when shopping (plus feedback plus description watchouts).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Derricku said:

Other than taking better pictures, what else could I have done to get to that target price on Ebay? Should I have listed as BIN. Would FBA been better for this type of sale? I am learning a lot and also wasting a little too much time on this hobby. I did score a Pet Shop on clearance at $90 at Target.

Thanks in advance. 

@Derricku, on pages 8-9 of this thread I posted a multi-part, 13 point essay that is my best effort at a detailed "Ebay Selling Advice for Beginners / Novices".  I'd strongly encourage you to give it a read if you havent already - you're exactly the kind of guy who could benefit from it.

Thus my best advice is all those facts/considerations in those 13-points, and recent stock vs actual photo analysis.  And based on that, I'd recommend you tuck away any further $50+ items for a month or two (they wont lose value) - go pick up about 15-30 assorted SW Battlepacks, Friends/Creator small boxes, polybags, or similar $5-20 type sets, and begin selling them on Ebay.  Plan to spend $100-200 on that initial inventory and pricing it at rock-bottom BIN rates (so you're going to be effectively lose around $25-35, but an incredibly cheap "cost of learning" compared to the path you're on right now, and many of us lost tenfold that amount learning the hard way).  The key goal is to spend a month of "tinkering" - you'll get familar with listing on Ebay, develop a template/style that works for you, establish a critical threshold of 10+ positive feedbacks, and be able to do so in less than a month's time and minimal cost/risk.

Of course, none of my 13-point "essay" guide or the above advice/recommendation is Gospel - it's merely based on my own experience and vetted through relatively small sample size (~100-750 listings) analytical data crunching of the variables.  However, none of it has been repudiated as Heresy by the other respected and veteran members of this site (and if ever it was, I'd readily embrace their critiques and revise my advice in account of the new information).

12 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Of course, none of my 13-point "essay" guide or the above advice/recommendation is Gospel - it's merely based on my own experience and vetted through relatively small sample size (~100-750 listings) analytical data crunching of the variables.  However, none of it has been repudiated as Heresy by the other respected and veteran members of this site (and if ever it was, I'd readily embrace their critiques and revise my advice in account of the new information).

Only because you asked - I appreciated your detailed analysis, and the effort to put it all together (more people need to put thought into these things), but after looking at your store (you had provided that info), I don't believe that there was enough data to support the cause & effect conclusions. I am sure that most of what you stated was correct, but not because of the data.

Great job though - More people should keep records/statistics of their own, as there is a lot that you can learn from it.

30 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Not a big seller, having just started 6 months ago, but I always show front & back pictures of the actual box (quick snaps with iPad or cellphone in a well lit room against a neutral background - takes me 2-3 mins tops), if necessary additional photos of damage to the box, then brickset/bricklink pictures of the actual contents. I do this because those are the listings I trust myself when shopping (plus feedback plus description watchouts).

Excellent point.  A "blended" approach is my personal preference.

I'll snap 2-3 quickly of the box, as you mention.  Then snag 1-4 stock photos from Brickset.  Using the stock photo of the complete set as the "main" image, potentially followed by a few more stock photos (close ups or alternate angles of key components), and lastly the actual images of the box in-hand.  And my listing description is certain to call out "please note pictures #1-3 are stock photos, #4-5 are the actual item in-hand" (as applicable).

This seems the best approach for providing the clean/professional images of the set, while eliminating any ambiguity about box condition and/or drop shipping.  And it certainly seems to be a sliding scale based on how much time you're willing to invest into photos to mitigate risk of a return for "item not as described" - the higher priced the set, the better served you are to increase the quality/quantity of actual photos.  For instance, Parted out Minifig from larger set for $5 = 2 stock photos.  Set of 3 Mixels polybags for $20 =  3 stock photos + 2 actual (lower quality "quick") photos.  New Heavy Haul Cargo Train for $175 = 6 stock photos + 4 actual (high quality) photos.

Worth noting that if your target market is collectors/investors (retired, rare, etc sets), you'll want to lean towards more photos of the actual item, since box condition is a primary concern to them - they're most inclined to decline buying an item if the condition isn't 100% discernible from photos, or return it if its not Mint (and you failed to capture any imperfections in the actual pics shown).

16 minutes ago, KShine said:

Only because you asked - I appreciated your detailed analysis, and the effort to put it all together (more people need to put thought into these things), but after looking at your store (you had provided that info), I don't believe that there was enough data to support the cause & effect conclusions. I am sure that most of what you stated was correct, but not because of the data.

Great job though - More people should keep records/statistics of their own, as there is a lot that you can learn from it.

Very valid point, and appreciated.  The source data I've utilized comes from my own listings is about ~70% of my own listings/sales.  ~30% is based on research of "Sold" listings (not my own).  Though some of my various analysis/findings may rely more heavily on one of personal vs public data than the other, subject to the nature study I ran.

I'm an analytics geek at heart (for both Lego and baseball); painfully aware of the limited nature of my source data and sprawling array or multivariate data points that make sabermetrics childs-play by comparison, which is why I try and cavaet my conclusions as "not Gospel".  At best, my various analysis to date are "suggestive" (and generally support prevailing convention wisdom) rather than "conclusive".

This is why I'm constantly fishing for anyone else who may have compitable research to collaborate our respective studies ;). If you find anyone who keeps the record data and has an interest in mining it the way I do, I'd love to meet them and compare notes!  Sadly, baseball has fangraphs.com for guys like me to collaborate, but such communities don't exist in the Lego Seller realm... Or it's just done privately in order to leverage the insights for a competive advantage...

Hello - as a quick update on the learning part of the selling. Thanks for the advice everyone.

So I did list as BIN $105 free shipping.I found out shipping is about $10 bucks for the set. The next day I got a lot of offers for the 3 I had left.I sold one for 100 and the other one for the listed 105. Probably make around ~50 bucks total after selling 3. Will probably keep one just to make with the kids and wife and it does have a lot of gold.  Airborne AFOL put it best when selling on ebay; I have 3 target markets. - Soccer mom, novice AFOL looking to improve inventory and savvy AFOL looking for bargains.  The $77 set sold to the soccer mom. The other two to novice AFOL or Savvy AFOL - not quite sure.  I did learn I could have priced the Grand Hotel for about 110 - 115 and that this set will have legs. I'll be in again if I see it on the shelves again for 65$ and I have one more to sell during the holiday season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Derricku said:

Hello - as a quick update on the learning part of the selling. Thanks for the advice everyone.

So I did list as BIN $105 free shipping.I found out shipping is about $10 bucks for the set. The next day I got a lot of offers for the 3 I had left.I sold one for 100 and the other one for the listed 105. Probably make around ~50 bucks total after selling 3. Will probably keep one just to make with the kids and wife and it does have a lot of gold.  Airborne AFOL put it best when selling on ebay; I have 3 target markets. - Soccer mom, novice AFOL looking to improve inventory and savvy AFOL looking for bargains.  The $77 set sold to the soccer mom. The other two to novice AFOL or Savvy AFOL - not quite sure.  I did learn I could have priced the Grand Hotel for about 110 - 115 and that this set will have legs. I'll be in again if I see it on the shelves again for 65$ and I have one more to sell during the holiday season.

Congrats - at least you are making money now. And $50 in a couple of days on a $300 investment ... try getting that from a bank :)

The "the next day I got a lot of offers" part is a clear sign that your price can go higher, so your learning seems spot on.

• Like 1

Anyone know if you can put your Ebay items  for sale on a temporary hold?  I have 40 items (all buy it now) that I want to temporarily make unavailable while I'm on spring break next week. I don't have acevsy store. Just 40 items for sale by a private individual. Thanks for any advice. 

Chris. 

Anyone know if you can put your Ebay items  for sale on a temporary hold?  I have 40 items (all buy it now) that I want to temporarily make unavailable while I'm on spring break next week. I don't have acevsy store. Just 40 items for sale by a private individual. Thanks for any advice. 

Chris. 

You can only set vacation mode in a store but you can raise your prices to a point that nobody will buy or simply delist them.

2 hours ago, Gonkalin said:

Chris. 

2 hours ago, redghostx said:

You can only set vacation mode in a store but you can raise your prices to a point that nobody will buy or simply delist them.

For a short period of time like that, raising your prices is the easiest. I've had to shut down for 1+ month before and in those cases I delist them. For shorter periods I do the price raising and have never had someone purchase a $99 item for $999. :)

I sold 2 identical lots on ebay, one was 140.00 with free shipping, and the other was 130.00 + 10.00 shipping

why does paypal charge me more fee for the one with shipping? all in all I still collected 140.00

I guess it is better off always offering free shipping, but you know some people just go for the "lower" price. :beerhat:

Edited by Deanfjr

3 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

I sold 2 identical lots on ebay, one was 140.00 with free shipping, and the other was 130.00 + 10.00 shipping

why does paypal charge me more fee for the one with shipping? all in all I still collected 140.00

I guess it is better off always offering free shipping, but you know some people just go for the "lower" price. :beerhat:

final value fee discounts and promos do not apply to shipping... 

did you get the 40% discount on fvf?

15 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

40% off? from who paypal? no was 4.36 & 5.76 fees from PP

my bad, the 40% off is ebay fvf promo going on right now, and I believe would not apply to the fvf on the shipping.  if you are looking only at PayPal fees then it has nothing to do with the shipping.  the higher fee is likely an international buyer.

I need some advise on Ebay case. I bought some 10697 and then sold them. All the boxes weighed the same within the margin of error and I listed them over December and sold my last in January. A week after I shipped the package I received a message from the final buyer.  

Hi, 
I received the Lego 1500 piece set today. It is missing a significant number of pieces and appears to have been opened. When I opened it, the green pieces were loose in the box, the plastic wrap opened. Other packages were taped shut and more than 150 pieces are missing, including large and valuable pieces like the bigger wheels and the doors and large platform.
Please advise.

I know that the boxes were all the same weight and within the error limit that I personally place that is 3-5 grams. The seals were all good I sent the buyer a message.

I need pictures of the box. I could have sworn that I weigh each box before I ship them and your box was the same weight of my other 5 that I sold. Call Lego Customer service (800) 835-4386 and tell them the missing parts and they will ship replacement parts. I'm sorry that you received the box in a condition like that, I could have sworn that all the boxes weighed the same. If Lego customer service does not send the replacement Lego bricks, they normally do, then tell me and I will personally ship the replacement parts from my personal collection if I have them. I need pictures of the box first though before I send from my personal collection. I purchased the box on black Friday and keeped them around and I never opened it. Please send me a result on what Lego will do.

After a month and a few weeks and never hearing from the buyer I get a negative feedback from the buyer and it reads.

missing a lot of parts (25+), seller said contact Lego. disappointing.

I called Ebay CS and all they told me it was the buyers "experience and they are entitled to it" or something like that. I said this person is most likely scamming me and tried to get 10% or 20% off the set. They said that I should just reply to the feedback so I can "prove myself to other buyers". The change from 150 to 25 is also a inconsistency I said but they ignored that fact.

The buyer never sent me any more messages, no pictures of any kind, and did not set up a return. 

I need help.

Edited by Armor

how many is "some" and how many did you sell to this one buyer?

it was ridiculous for you to tell them to contact shop at home.

anytime you say "could have sworn" it means "i didn't check".

for a set that cost you $30 out of pocket and brought you negative feedback, i'd say ok - return the set and i'll give you a refund just to get rid of the feedback (coming from a guy with 100% + feedback since the 1990s).

i'm surprised you didn't get a SNAD (significantly not as described) which is why i don't think you were being scammed.  scammers like money, not leaving negative feedback.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, gregpj said:

For a short period of time like that, raising your prices is the easiest. I've had to shut down for 1+ month before and in those cases I delist them. For shorter periods I do the price raising and have never had someone purchase a $99 item for $999. :)

Hey guys, Thanks for the advice. I just raised my prices by 400%. I felt "dirty" doing it. Now watch me get a sale while I'm gone....

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Armor said:

After a month and a few weeks and never hearing from the buyer I get a negative feedback from the buyer and it reads.

Did you follow up with the customer during those few weeks? even if you did it was too late. You lost control of the situation when you pointed the customer to Lego. Always give them a second option. You can call Lego OR return the item for full refund. Personally, I would have offered full refund right away to avoid the headache. If ebay is siding with the customer then there is no much you can do at this point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gonkalin said:

Hey guys, Thanks for the advice. I just raised my prices by 400%. I felt "dirty" doing it. Now watch me get a sale while I'm gone....

At that price, you find someone to go get the set from your storage, pack it and ship it. :)

11 hours ago, Gonkalin said:

You could also have changed your handling time on the items. If someone purchased any items while you were away, contact them right away to confirm that they were aware of the delay in shipping. Of course, if the buyer has any issue whatsoever with a delay, you would then refund/cancel the transaction.

It is also much quicker/easier (and more accurate) to mass change the handling time, than to try to adjust all of those prices. 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2016 at 0:22 PM, Quagmire said:

More of a curiosity thing - but what's the point of some people charging insane shipping rates?

While eBay's final value fee is based on total price (sales price + S&H); PayPal's 2.9% transaction fee does not include S&H.  Therefore, a $100 free shipping item will have a $2.90 + $.30 = $3.20 Paypal fee, an $80 + $20 S&H item would be $2.32 + $.30 = $2.62.

I realized this when my Paypal fee in the document I exported from them came out consistently lower than the amount I had in my Excel spreadsheet, because I had the same question as you, since the optics of such a tactic were bad.

• Like 1