Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

11 hours ago, jdmpartz said:

I agree with Brickshopper.

This is exactly where it would hurt his (seller) account for cancelling an order. I 100% understand there are 2 options, but when an item has not been paid, the second will not apply if the buyer did not initiate the cancellation. I hope that makes sense.

Just because he (buyer) did not pay, does not mean he (buyer) wants to cancel. You have to look at it through Ebays eyes.

File un-paid item, get your FVF back.  if you dont want a refund on your fees, so be it

Thanks so much! I definitely want a fee refund haha

Not sure where to post this question so ill try here. Yesterday morning i dropped a package off, along with 2 others, at USPS dropoff counter because i was in a hurry and did not get a receipt for them... checking the tracking about 36 hours later and 1 of the packages has not been scanned at all. The other 2 have but they were first class or priority. Should i be worried? is this common? Am i just an idiot for leaving a $160 package at a counter without getting a receipt? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

Not sure where to post this question so ill try here. Yesterday morning i dropped a package off, along with 2 others, at USPS dropoff counter because i was in a hurry and did not get a receipt for them... checking the tracking about 36 hours later and 1 of the packages has not been scanned at all. The other 2 have but they were first class or priority. Should i be worried? is this common? Am i just an idiot for leaving a $160 package at a counter without getting a receipt? 

To answer your questions: No, Yes, Yes.

• Like 5

You can't pay me $160 to wait in line at the post office. I drop off packages all the time without waiting for a receipt.

And yes, it's very common for items to not receive tracking updates. Not sure the reason, but it's happened a lot for me.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, kenchu2000 said:

Question: As far as the ebay/paypal fee goes, would the following two scenarios calculate the same fee?  or selling an item for $180 + $20 shipping is better?

1. Selling an item for $200 + free shipping

2. Selling an item for $180 + $20 shipping

Thanks in advance.

If you are not a Top Rated Plus seller, both scenario net you the same fee, ie. eBay and Paypal take the cut from total price+shipping

Question: As far as the ebay/paypal fee goes, would the following two scenarios calculate the same fee?  or selling an item for $180 + $20 shipping is better?

1. Selling an item for $200 + free shipping

2. Selling an item for $180 + $20 shipping

Thanks in advance.

If you are not a Top Rated Plus seller, both scenario net you the same fee, ie. eBay and Paypal take the cut from total price+shipping

What would the impact of being TRS be on that?

17 minutes ago, zak001 said:

TRS gets 20% off final value fees on item price only. So you don't get a discount on the final value fee assessed to the shipping cost. But if you bake in shipping your fee will be lower.

this also applies to most final value fee promos. you generally get hit with full fees on the shipping.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

The scan is a "courtesy" provided by the USPS and they will not hold up to any responsibility of an acceptance (unless you ask for and get an acceptance receipt) scan expect for paid service, and end delivery for Delivery Confirmation. Sometimes they will forget an acceptance scan. You can check it later as it will be scanned at other locations in route of transit, before final destination. I left two parcels today at the counter, without getting an acceptance receipt and I never considered some customer might steal it but it is a legit concern in some neighborhoods especially at this time of year. There were Clerks at surrounding stations who saw me leave the parcels but did not acknowledge me as they were with customers. For your parcel I would just watch the tracking number and you should see it scan tomorrow or the day after in route.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Average Guy said:

The scan is a "courtesy" provided by the USPS and they will not hold up to any responsibility of an acceptance (unless you ask for and get an acceptance receipt) scan expect for paid service, and end delivery for Delivery Confirmation. Sometimes they will forget an acceptance scan. You can check it later as it will be scanned at other locations in route of transit, before final destination. I left two parcels today at the counter, without getting an acceptance receipt and I never considered some customer might steal it but it is a legit concern in some neighborhoods especially at this time of year. There were Clerks at surrounding stations who saw me leave the parcels but did not acknowledge me as they were with customers. For your parcel I would just watch the tracking number and you should see it scan tomorrow or the day after in route.

Well around us here in Illinois. USPS is saying there is a delay of 1-3 days for all packages. Even priority. I don't know how that's going to effect the holidays on eBay but I don't think it's anything good. I actually started to send through fedex just for that reason. 

I drop off packages all the time and have never had a problem. Even when I have gone to a clerk they normally won't scan my packages in anyway so I figure what's the difference. I have thought about someone stealing my packages off the counter but I figure I'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it. I can't stand waiting in line anyway and can't believe I use to do it before I wised up.

Stealing mail is federal time. Obviously doesn't do much to deter porch theft, but the risk/reward for a random parcel in front of a lot of witnesses (and cameras) probably re-orients your average booster toward lifting a stack of Levi's from a department store instead.

Has anyone listed using eBay's new format pages (like in-demand items), and had trouble with international users buying your items (when you only ship to the USA, for instance?).  I've had 3 different items get BIN purchases, only to have the buyer outside of the USA.  I have double-checked that shipping is restricted only to the USA on all of the items.  The users aren't listed as being foreign, with a US shipping address, or anything.  I've never had any issues like this when I listed using the regular/old-style listing page.

I also don't like how you can't require instant payment on these listings, either.

Edited by I am Niko

What would the impact of being TRS be on that?

TRS gets 20% off final value fees on item price only. So you don't get a discount on the final value fee assessed to the shipping cost. But if you bake in shipping your fee will be lower.

Thanks! Just got my TRS status last month and I havent fully explored the implications of it yet

17 hours ago, Mrbigz8657 said:

Well around us here in Illinois. USPS is saying there is a delay of 1-3 days for all packages. Even priority. I don't know how that's going to effect the holidays on eBay but I don't think it's anything good. I actually started to send through fedex just for that reason. 

Are in Chicagoland? I know several Postal Employees and last week they told me Chicago is 3 days behind on work. They also said other local large cities are also a little slow but not as slow as Chicago at the moment.  This would definitely affect the in route scans as the parcel travels if you didn't get an acceptance scan at the retail counter. Chicago has been slow before even without the holiday season.  I have had parcels mysteriously delayed in Chicago for 3 days before.  The parcel should be worked in one day (24 hours.  A day is relative if you are working overnight) , two if it is very busy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Average Guy said:

Are in Chicagoland? I know several Postal Employees and last week they told me Chicago is 3 days behind on work. They also said other local large cities are also a little slow but not as slow as Chicago at the moment.  This would definitely affect the in route scans as the parcel travels if you didn't get an acceptance scan at the retail counter. Chicago has been slow before even without the holiday season.  I have had parcels mysteriously delayed in Chicago for 3 days before.  The parcel should be worked in one day (24 hours.  A day is relative if you are working overnight) , two if it is very busy.

Ive had everything shipped delayed. It sucks because I have to hear all the complaining which I totally understand but it is what it is 

Earlier in the holiday season I've been gambling on using SmartPost from the Midwest to California.  So far, so good.  With only fifteen days until Christmas, what point (day) should I strongly consider not using that option for larger packages to keep my customers happy?  Hoping to learn from the experience of some veteran holiday sellers...

22 hours ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

Somehow, USPS can deliver packages and only scan them when they deliver them or scan them only when the reach the destination post office.  And somehow, eBay buyers think that this is the seller's fault.

17 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Earlier in the holiday season I've been gambling on using SmartPost from the Midwest to California.  So far, so good.  With only fifteen days until Christmas, what point (day) should I strongly consider not using that option for larger packages to keep my customers happy?  Hoping to learn from the experience of some veteran holiday sellers...

Tomorrow. You only have 10 business days to Christmas Eve and Smart Post can be up to 9 business days, the risk due to weather, or anything else, isn't worth the $2-10.   ***Saturday if your Fedex has pickup that day***

Edited by redghostx

Wow...Ok I need some advice.  HELP!

Ebay marketplace.  Yesterday I sold a 6286/6285/6268 in two seperate orders to the same buyer.

No issue yet...inventoried last night and sent out this morning.

I did my bowling thing this evening came home to find the same buyer bought 7938, 7939 and a complete 70404 castle collection 358.xx shipped.

One buyer just spent 1350.00 with me...all funds are already in my paypal account.  This just seems odd.  I certainly don't mind the business but I have a bad feeling about it.

Any advise would be welcome...

Buyer "ghostofstarman" has 59 feedback (100% positive) with 20 of it coming in the last 30 days.

Member since Oct 2002.

10 minutes ago, brickelements said:

Wow...Ok I need some advice.  HELP!

Ebay marketplace.  Yesterday I sold a 6286/6285/6268 in two seperate orders to the same buyer.

No issue yet...inventoried last night and sent out this morning.

I did my bowling thing this evening came home to find the same buyer bought 7938, 7939 and a complete 70404 castle collection 358.xx shipped.

One buyer just spent 1350.00 with me...all funds are already in my paypal account.  This just seems odd.  I certainly don't mind the business but I have a bad feeling about it.

Any advise would be welcome...

Buyer "ghostofstarman" has 59 feedback (100% positive) with 20 of it coming in the last 30 days.

Member since Oct 2002.

Maybe he just got his christmas bonus and decided to spend it on completing his LEGO collection with some sets from his Dark Ages. And you seemed to have what he needed ....

I have bought a lot from one seller, especially if its calculated shipping and prices were fair.  

Man, on my end I have SEVERAL packages delayed in N.Houston sorting center, one person bought for a birthday, it should have arrived 5 days ago and still nothing. was on hold for 2 HOURS on usps help line to put in a ticket #.

I am starting to appreciate my FEDEX smartpost shipping options, they at least get to the buyers post office, from there how hard can it be to screw up.

7 minutes ago, remy1492 said:

Man, on my end I have SEVERAL packages delayed in N.Houston sorting center, one person bought for a birthday, it should have arrived 5 days ago and still nothing. was on hold for 2 HOURS on usps help line to put in a ticket #.

I am starting to appreciate my FEDEX smartpost shipping options, they at least get to the buyers post office, from there how hard can it be to screw up.

I on the other hand have one of my WM LCBs stuck in a FedEx hub in Grove City, OH since last Sunday. Called FedEx today (delivery due date was today) and mentioned no updates since Sunday, lady said she saw a scan was made today so it should be moving soon, and they were overloaded so more delays were happening. Now my tracker says "No scheduled delivery date available at this time.". This is FedEx SmartPost, so not sure about your last statement there :)

Dang,  I guess no carrier is immune during the holidays.  I am debating listing my larger sets, SSD etc as local pickup only.  I can eat a lost set here or there but not the larger ones.

I wish Ebay had a list of all your SOLD items and a column for TRANSIT, DELIVERED so at a glance I can see whats held up.

Has anyone listed using eBay's new format pages (like in-demand items), and had trouble with international users buying your items (when you only ship to the USA, for instance?).  I've had 3 different items get BIN purchases, only to have the buyer outside of the USA.  I have double-checked that shipping is restricted only to the USA on all of the items.  The users aren't listed as being foreign, with a US shipping address, or anything.  I've never had any issues like this when I listed using the regular/old-style listing page.

I also don't like how you can't require instant payment on these listings, either.

On one of my accounts an international sale happened on an item that I only sell in the US. I don't know how eBay did that but they did. I ended up just sending it because eBay has no clue how it happened. I've also noticed that a TON of listings are showing up as US only on another account. I have to go back into every listing & correct it, which is really just going back into the listing & update as I don't need to change anything. Very, very strange to say the least...