Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

I am totally freaking out. When I started brickvesting about 6 months ago, this seemed like so much fun... collecting toys, with hopes of selling for a little profit at Christmas, or maybe next year. I've sold a few $25 items on ebay with no issues. I've now picked up some bigger sets like the HH and Tumbler (small quantities of everything... 1 or 2 at the most). And I'm reading these stories about ebay returns, the paypal 180-day return policy, and I'm terrified.

Someone in another thread said that ebay is best for bigger sellers now, who can afford to eat a few returns here and there, and I tend to believe it. It seems the short-term flip (Christmas or temp-out-of-stock) is dead for small players like me now. If I sell my one-and-only mint sealed Tumbler for $400 in November, the buyer can pick another one up in January for $200, open a case with Paypal saying he opened the box at Xmas and the $100 mini-figs weren't there. He can ship the open box back to me (minus mini-figs) and I'll have to pay him back $400 plus shipping? Seriously, I'm thinking about returning this Tumbler right now. I can't afford that. Should I return it?

Some have suggested not accepting paypal... but for the small player like me, what else is there? (please don't say bitcoin).

Some have suggested not using ebay... I once tried listing an item on Bonanza... you could hear a pin drop there. Anyone here in the US doing the majority of their sales non-ebay... where? And still, with Paypal, would it be any different?

If my worries are valid, I think I may have to stay away from the quick flip game. I might still be able to do a longer term "sell-at-least-a-year-after EOL while prices are steadily rising" game... but I don't know. Maybe I'm not cut out for this.

Sell that Tumbler before mid November when the new holiday return policy starts and you won't have to worry about a return in January.

I would pull all the heads and auction them off. As for the rest. One lot would be easiest but the least money. By color is another option. Also think what people are using them for. For instance smooth plates are always in demand as MOC'ers always need tons for tile floors. Always try to think like a customer and their needs as people will pay dearly for it.

• Like 1

I would pull all the heads and auction them off. As for the rest. One lot would be easiest but the least money. By color is another option. Also think what people are using them for. For instance smooth plates are always in demand as MOC'ers always need tons for tile floors. Always try to think like a customer and their needs as people will pay dearly for it.

Genuinely thanks for your advice sounds like you have expertise in it.

I do have to say you made me think of a few hilarious things:

- You know what they say, 100 heads are better than 1?

- Where did that person on ebay come up with a box of heads for sale? Oh wait its Lego

- I should throw an Indiana Jones Swordsman with Sword in with the head auction and say "There can only be one highlander!"

ROFL

• Like 1

Genuinely thanks for your advice sounds like you have expertise in it.

I do have to say you made me think of a few hilarious things:

- You know what they say, 100 heads are better than 1?

- Where did that person on ebay come up with a box of heads for sale? Oh wait its Lego

- I should throw an Indiana Jones Swordsman with Sword in with the head auction and say "There can only be one highlander!"

ROFL

There are many other members on this site who have far more experience then me.  But I am learning and I am glad to help and give back in what little ways I can.

There is a Military mantra of "Attention to Detail."  I think it applies nicely to selling, that can put you above the pack and ensure success.  I take looks at all my listings, messages and packing through the eyes of a potential buyer.  Who is my target customers and why should they buy from me?  Convenience? Service? Bargain Price? Shipping charges?  Etc, etc.  A nice crisp picture that draws their eye to my listing, a detailed description and clearly defined terms.  What questions on the item might they have?  As I pack the item I imagine the buyer unpacking it.  Would he/she be happy with how it's packed?

As I buy things on eBay and even just browse listings (both active and sold).  I take notes on things people are doing that I like or that I don't like.  What seems to be working and what isn't working.  Same with a received item as I unpack it (For instance, I received an item and on the packing slip was a quick hand written thank you and please enjoy message.  Not a big thing but a nice thought.  Another package had one that was printed and it didn't seem as personal or thoughtful.  So on all my packing slips I hand write a quick thank you to the buyer.  This obviously won't work for some sellers and I am not sure how it will work when my volume of selling rises.  But for now it is that little extra.)  It all comes down to knowing your market, researching and having a good plan of attack.  Paying attention to the details and going that little extra mile will reap benefits and set you apart from the pack.

And with that I will get off the soapbox.  Sorry it is late and I haven't been able to sleep...so keeping myself occupied....

• Like 3

Hello.  So I just sold a set of Mixels to a new buyer with zero feedback.  I relisted the item as I have more than one and this new buyer bought that one as well.  At first I thought it was someone buying them with a new account to keep my from listing or something but as it turns out it was legit.  She paid for the first set of Mixels and I asked her if the second was intentional or a mistake.  She paid me for the second set but then emailed me saying it actually was a mistake.  I didn't want to jerk over a new user so I refunded her in full for the second set.

My question is, do I get charge fees from ebay?  I refunded through paypal but as far as ebay can tell it was paid in full.  Do I have to request getting my fees back or is this done automatically?

Hello.  So I just sold a set of Mixels to a new buyer with zero feedback.  I relisted the item as I have more than one and this new buyer bought that one as well.  At first I thought it was someone buying them with a new account to keep my from listing or something but as it turns out it was legit.  She paid for the first set of Mixels and I asked her if the second was intentional or a mistake.  She paid me for the second set but then emailed me saying it actually was a mistake.  I didn't want to jerk over a new user so I refunded her in full for the second set.

My question is, do I get charge fees from ebay?  I refunded through paypal but as far as ebay can tell it was paid in full.  Do I have to request getting my fees back or is this done automatically?

You probably should have issued a refund through the EBay interface.  You might need to give them a call if you did a straight refund through PayPal.  It's been a little while since I've done this.  I'm guessing your PayPal fee was refunded already?

You probably should have issued a refund through the EBay interface.  You might need to give them a call if you did a straight refund through PayPal.  It's been a little while since I've done this.  I'm guessing your PayPal fee was refunded already?

Yeah, the paypal fee was refunded.  I probably screwed up just clicking refund on paypal.  

I think I figured it out actually.  Went through some clicking and found where to cancel the item.  Very happy I didn't have to call, hear wait times are not fun.  Thanks for your help!

Edited by sroster
  • Like 1

Yeah, the paypal fee was refunded.  I probably screwed up just clicking refund on paypal.  

I think I figured it out actually.  Went through some clicking and found where to cancel the item.  Very happy I didn't have to call, hear wait times are not fun.  Thanks for your help!

I'm sure you did, but be sure to choose the "buyer changed mind" option whenever you do this (and whenever that's what happened) - that prevents your eBay account from getting a defect strike due to a cancellation.

• Like 2

Do a full refund through paypal. In a few minutes it will show up in ebay as unpaid. Then open case / cancel, choosing buyer changed mind or made mistake. Buyer has 7 days to respond and accept. If they accept you get your FVF back right away. If they do not respond on day 8 you can make the request from ebay to get back the FVF.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have a weird one, and maybe it should go in the fruitcake thread. I had a rather expensive item returned to me, because USPS stated it had an insufficient address and they needed the apartment number to deliver it.  The buyer was a zero feedback buyer with a rather cryptic EBay username.  I've tried contacting them 3 times over the past week with no reply.  I'm thinking it may be a drop shipper that doesn't realize the item isn't delivered yet, or something else that's weird.  I thought about giving it another week to see what happens.

Just curious to know if any of you have experienced something similar?

OK, I have a weird one, and maybe it should go in the fruitcake thread. I had a rather expensive item returned to me, because USPS stated it had an insufficient address and they needed the apartment number to deliver it.  The buyer was a zero feedback buyer with a rather cryptic EBay username.  I've tried contacting them 3 times over the past week with no reply.  I'm thinking it may be a drop shipper that doesn't realize the item isn't delivered yet, or something else that's weird.  I thought about giving it another week to see what happens.

I wait for the zero feedback buyer to contact you. My gut feeling is that it was a b.s. order to begin with and karma may have just saved you. Maybe the 'buyer' was hoping it would be dropped off in the apartment building lobby and it could easily be wisked away. Obviously the postman did not recognize the name so he/she needed an apartment #. Sit back and wait and see.

OK, I have a weird one, and maybe it should go in the fruitcake thread. I had a rather expensive item returned to me, because USPS stated it had an insufficient address and they needed the apartment number to deliver it. The buyer was a zero feedback buyer with a rather cryptic EBay username. I've tried contacting them 3 times over the past week with no reply. I'm thinking it may be a drop shipper that doesn't realize the item isn't delivered yet, or something else that's weird. I thought about giving it another week to see what happens.

Regarding the address for an apartment. If the invoice doesn't show an apartment number, then the buyer is at fault for not verifying their address. It's not your fault for not going to google street view to see if the address is an apartment complex...

In these situations, I send the buyer a message letting them know it was returned due to a missing apartment number and that if they still want it, they'll have to pay for a second round of shipping. If they no longer want it, you'll refund the item costs but no shipping costs -- including the actual shipping costs if you sold it with "free shipping"

I had one buyer insist that they shouldn't have to pay for shipping since they didn't get the item. I told them to check their invoice and if it shows an apartment number to contact me. If it doesn't show up, they need to contact ebay. But that I shouldn't be responsible either since I was going to be out the final value fee since the item wasn't ever cancelled. Never heard from them again. Luckily it was only a $6 item with $6 shipping so I wasn't going to go broke on the fvf.

Did your buyer use paypal? If so check the shipping address in paypal as that may be the correct one. We always match the ebay shipping address against the paypal shipping address and call the customer if there is a discrepancy. The cryptic ebay name and zero feedback suggest this was a guest checkout. Personally I would call the customer and let them know what is going on. I would also reship the item for free if the customer still wants it. Eating $15 in shipping may lead to many hundreds in profits down the line. You cannot go wrong providing superior customer service.

• Like 2

lol for a moment I did have a mini heart attack because I thought that I might have been your buyer xD

But I'm not zero rated and neither have an apartment ^.^ (and no cryptic name *****)

But something similiar happend to me and I'm the buyer this time!!! xD though I tried/try to get into touch with the seller.

Did your buyer use paypal? If so check the shipping address in paypal as that may be the correct one. We always match the ebay shipping address against the paypal shipping address and call the customer if there is a discrepancy. The cryptic ebay name and zero feedback suggest this was a guest checkout. Personally I would call the customer and let them know what is going on. I would also reship the item for free if the customer still wants it. Eating $15 in shipping may lead to many hundreds in profits down the line. You cannot go wrong providing superior customer service.

Thanks, I checked PayPal as well and there isn't a phone number listed.  PayPal has the same address as EBay.

Thanks, I checked PayPal as well and there isn't a phone number listed.  PayPal has the same address as EBay.

Go to reprint the label and choose Fedex. Hopefully the phone number will be listed below the address on the top left. If not all you can really do is wait for them to contact you. I would say process a refund thru paypal and send them a cancellation request but if they do not respond then you will be stuck with a defect. If there is no phone number I would hang tight for now.

Go to reprint the label and choose Fedex. Hopefully the phone number will be listed below the address on the top left. If not all you can really do is wait for them to contact you. I would say process a refund thru paypal and send them a cancellation request but if they do not respond then you will be stuck with a defect. If there is no phone number I would hang tight for now.

I see a phone number listed, as you said by going to the FedEx "shipping label" screen, so I'll try to give them a call Monday. Thanks

OK, this gets a little weirder, I just talked to the person who's name and phone number is on the shipment details for this purchase.  He said I have the right name and phone number, he does live in that state, but it's the wrong address and he didn't buy it.  I told him if he has a PayPal account, he should check for some unauthorized payments.  He appreciated me calling him and I told him to let me know if he needs any help.

I guess I'll be calling EBay tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, a quick question here:

I've recently sold 10 polybags on eBay to a buyer (he bought all of them that I had listed). After the polybags were received on his end and deciding that I was ready to let go of the rest of the polybags, I messaged him asking if he wanted the remaining 20 I had. Is it alright to do this deal outside of eBay since there was never a listing for this? The buyer has almost 2k positive feedback, so seller/buyer protection isn't really a necessity in this case. Thanks in advance!!

I've recently sold 10 polybags on eBay to a buyer (he bought all of them that I had listed). After the polybags were received on his end and deciding that I was ready to let go of the rest of the polybags, I messaged him asking if he wanted the remaining 20 I had. Is it alright to do this deal outside of eBay since there was never a listing for this? The buyer has almost 2k positive feedback, so seller/buyer protection isn't really a necessity in this case. Thanks in advance!!

eBay frowns upon using there messaging system to deal outside of their platform. Grey area is the easiest description.
  • Like 1

Tread lightly. Is it worth a ban from ebay over 10 polys to save a few bucks in fees?

• Like 1