Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

1 minute ago, iahawks550 said:

Sunday night. 

Depends, you get a lot more competition then too. Some week nights can be a lot better, Sunday afternoons too. Avoid bank holiday weekends as people are out doing stuff. Remember for folk to bid, make it easy for them. Late Friday nights is good for fruitcakes and drunks,  if those are your profile of customer.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 9:55 PM, Phil B said:

Alright - EBay rep took screenshot of buyer request, added it to the record, and told me to delay printing the label until the 24th. She said that, given my 100% scores on all metrics, this wouldn't negatively affect my seller rating, but upon my insistence she confirmed that I can just call on the 20th when the next ratings are done and get the ding from  not shipping this one on time removed based on her record of our call and the screenshot she took.

So basically exactly what @ravenb99 said.

I'm good to go. Thanks folks!

Update on this. So I shipped my package today, but printed postage on Friday (as soon as I could). Now I'm getting dinged for "Tracking info uploaded and validated within 24hrs" and I called EBay Seller support and they tell me this defect cannot be removed. I'm still above 90% but I really don't like this. Sounds like it was a bad decision to print the label 3 days in advance, even if EBay let me. Be warned.

I just noticed that I have a few "late shipment" dings on my seller report.  I dug into it because I couldn't recall shipping anything late.

Appears that if you have your vacation setting activated and still get purchases, you get penalized for late delivery.

Anyone ever tackled this with eBay?  I always let the buyers know, so I've always covered myself on that end.  Just did not realize eBay doesn't sync up the vacation notice with the late delivery.

Guest TabbyBoy
10 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

I just noticed that I have a few "late shipment" dings on my seller report.  I dug into it because I couldn't recall shipping anything late.

Appears that if you have your vacation setting activated and still get purchases, you get penalized for late delivery.

Anyone ever tackled this with eBay?  I always let the buyers know, so I've always covered myself on that end.  Just did not realize eBay doesn't sync up the vacation notice with the late delivery.

I noticed this a while back so I either make sure that listings end a few days before I go away.

Guest TabbyBoy
On 24/10/2016 at 4:29 PM, BP said:

When is the best moment to let an auction end? 

In the US, 08NOV isn't a day to end an auction but, a perfect time to buy!

In the UK, I schedule my auctions to end between 7pm and 9pm in 10 minute intervals. There's normally crap on TV then and people usually stay in as they have an early start the next day. However, most of the time I use "Buy It Now" with automatic Best Offer.

• 3 weeks later...

This is ridiculous - Last month I had a dimensional weight issue with EBay, where EBay told me my package (weighing 6.5lbs) would cost $13.55 to send with FedEx, but then FedEx came back with a $27.38 charge based on a dimensional weight of 20lbs. I even validated the box dimensions in FedEx dimensional tool (www.fedex.com/in/tools/dimweight.html) once I saw the charge to confirm this was dimensional weight and it matched the 20lbs. EBay opened a case with FedEx about this, even though I think it is really just EBay's problem that they provide a shipping tool that doesn't take this important aspect into account.

Called just now to check in on this. Very annoying lady tried to convince me that I shipped a 20lbs shipment, and that it wasn't dimensional weight. Of course there is no way for me to find out right now (a month later) exactly what size of box I used, and the size of box listed in the FedEx response in the "Shipping Labels" history on My EBay now suddenly brings back a 31lbs package. The rep made it sound like I was trying to pull a scam by shipping a 20lbs shipment but only declaring 6.5lbs. She is now having her "supervisor" look into this to confirm with FedEx that I was charged dimensional weight, not actual weight.

I feel like I'm really really being ripped off here by EBay. Does anyone have any tips on how to convince them that they need to fix their tool, and that telling someone who reports all his shipment weights and measurements honestly that they will be paying x and then charging them 2*x is a scam on their end?

This is ridiculous - Last month I had a dimensional weight issue with EBay, where EBay told me my package (weighing 6.5lbs) would cost $13.55 to send with FedEx, but then FedEx came back with a $27.38 charge based on a dimensional weight of 20lbs. I even validated the box dimensions in FedEx dimensional tool (www.fedex.com/in/tools/dimweight.html) once I saw the charge to confirm this was dimensional weight and it matched the 20lbs. EBay opened a case with FedEx about this, even though I think it is really just EBay's problem that they provide a shipping tool that doesn't take this important aspect into account.
Called just now to check in on this. Very annoying lady tried to convince me that I shipped a 20lbs shipment, and that it wasn't dimensional weight. Of course there is no way for me to find out right now (a month later) exactly what size of box I used, and the size of box listed in the FedEx response in the "Shipping Labels" history on My EBay now suddenly brings back a 31lbs package. The rep made it sound like I was trying to pull a scam by shipping a 20lbs shipment but only declaring 6.5lbs. She is now having her "supervisor" look into this to confirm with FedEx that I was charged dimensional weight, not actual weight.
I feel like I'm really really being ripped off here by EBay. Does anyone have any tips on how to convince them that they need to fix their tool, and that telling someone who reports all his shipment weights and measurements honestly that they will be paying x and then charging them 2*x is a scam on their end?

Phil, I had something VERY similar happen a while back where I used FedEx to ship something that only going 80 miles away or so, but I used FedEx Smartpost because it was cheaper than USPS Priority Mail. The original label was for something like 14x8x6 and they charged me for 11x11x11, and a heavier weight. I pointed that out to them that the dimensions on their end were not what I put in and that I chose to ship FedEx because it was cheaper than USPS, otherwise I would have used the post office.

eBay threw it back that it was something I must have done as well. I pointed out that I felt they were accusing me of ripping them off and because I knew my end was correct, I told them I wasn't letting the issue go until I got the difference in shipping back that I knew was my money. Have them look at your feedback and amount you ship. If you have excellent feedback, would that reflect being dishonest? I asked the rep why would I waste my time with this small amount if I was being dishonest. I told him I have better things to do with my time, but when I am right, my integrity is being questioned, and I deserve my money back, then I will make time for it and unfortunately, you get to spend that time with me. It got resolved, but it took some firm talk from me to get it done.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Phil B said:

I had a similar issue with UPS.  I did get a refund, but it took me speaking with the US-based customer service.  For whatever reason, the overseas service group just was not equipped to handle the issue.  

I have stopped using any service but USPS due to the flaws in the tool.

• Like 1

Hundreds of sales under my belt, and I receive my first resolution center request.  They claim that they never received the item.  It was sent first class - tracking uploaded through eBay.  Shipped next business day on 11/4.  Arrived 11/7 per tracking.

They are an experienced buyer, so I am a little perplexed as to (1) why they were not tracking the item in the first place and (2) why they did not e-mail me directly a little earlier.

I re-uploaded the tracking number to the resolution center.  I also messaged them with the tracking dates, gave them a description of the padded envelope and suggested they speak with their mail carrier or PO.

Any other tips?  I believe I am covered since tracking was uploaded in timely fashion and shows delivery.  But on the flip side, I sure do not want a negative feedback out of my control.  Suggested next steps?  Thanks in advance for help.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 9:59 PM, Phil B said:

I quit shipping Fedex due to the extra charges they would give you after the fact.  It was almost like Ebay gave you an approximate cost and the Fedex added on what they deemed necessary.  I've had no issues with USPS so I keep shipping with them. 

7 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Hundreds of sales under my belt, and I receive my first resolution center request.  They claim that they never received the item.  It was sent first class - tracking uploaded through eBay.  Shipped next business day on 11/4.  Arrived 11/7 per tracking.

They are an experienced buyer, so I am a little perplexed as to (1) why they were not tracking the item in the first place and (2) why they did not e-mail me directly a little earlier.

I re-uploaded the tracking number to the resolution center.  I also messaged them with the tracking dates, gave them a description of the padded envelope and suggested they speak with their mail carrier or PO.

Any other tips?  I believe I am covered since tracking was uploaded in timely fashion and shows delivery.  But on the flip side, I sure do not want a negative feedback out of my control.  Suggested next steps?  Thanks in advance for help.

I have sold thousands of dollars worth of electronics on eBay. I would call PayPal and explain. Once I sent some RAM via First Class mail (with tracking of course) and the buyer claimed it was never received. PayPal closed the case after verification of tracking and delivery. Hope that helps!

Edited by bigboy61

8 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

you're covered, just let it run its course and they will side in your favor if escalated.  Any feedback left if negative will be removed automatically as well and they will email you that as well.

Only other tip I would verify is the delivery zip code is the same one as on ebay.  That is only way you could possibly lose in that situation.  As long as zip matches you are good.

1 minute ago, bigboy61 said:

I would call PayPal and explain. Once I sent some RAM via First Class mail (with tracking of course) and the buyer claimed it was never received. PayPal closed the case after verification of tracking and delivery. Hope that helps!

paypal would not matter as its a resolution request through ebay and they are separate companies now.  Back when they were together you could contact either.  Now you contact whichever the case is through.  If it was a paypal complaint or charge back then you would fill out the info and could call them if you would like as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

You should be covered and the resolution center should find in your favor.  There is a chance the item was delivered to the wrong address or possibly stolen, both of which are out of your control.  I went through a similar issue when a buyer entered the wrong address.  During the research of my issue, I found that the buyer couldn't leave negative feedback since they opened a case and lost, I'm unsure if this is true as eBay tends to update policies over time and the information I read could have been outdated, but I never received negative feedback.  It's up to you, if you want to refund their money or make other amends, but I would wait for the case to be closed.

18 minutes ago, redghostx said:

I have a question concerning the Global Shipping Program.  Do you insure the package to send it to Kentucky or is that no longer required?  The item is worth about $300 but I'm cheap and prefer to keep my $5 for insurance.

Thanks!

I never insure items that are shipped through the Global Shipping Program.  Reason is the insurance only covers the item until it gets to the GSP fulfillment center in KY; it does not cover the package while in transit to the international destination.  I'm only a few states from the GSP center in KY and all of my packages have arrived there just fine w/o damage.  The GSP postage cost the buyer pays to eBay covers shipping and insurance from KY to the final destination.  If something were to happen to the package during international transit to the buyer, you are off the hook and eBay would cover it.

This is straight from eBay's Global Shipping Program FAQs:

How does the Global Shipping Program work?When a GSP item sells, just ship it to the Global Shipping Center using whatever method you choose. An experienced international shipping company does the rest including customs forms, international shipping, and import fees. The GSP also includes end-to-end international tracking. As a seller your responsibility ends once the item reaches the Global Shipping Center. If the item is lost or damaged during international transit, the Program has you covered. Sellers are also protected from neutral or negative feedback associated with international shipping on any GSP transaction.

But if you want the peace of mind to insure the package to KY, then it might be worth it to you.

Edited by msdontplay01
  • Like 1

Didn't know where else to post this but I was looking at my eBay fee statement this month and I didn't get credit for my Top Rated discount. I called and they said there was a problem this month and they didn't pick up the discount for some sellers. They hope to have it resolved this month and will apply a credit to my account. If you are Top Rated you might want to look at your statement and call if you didn't get the discount just to make sure they know about your account.

7 hours ago, msdontplay01 said:

I never insure items that are shipped through the Global Shipping Program.  Reason is the insurance only covers the item until it gets to the GSP fulfillment center in KY; it does not cover the package while in transit to the international destination.  I'm only a few states from the GSP center in KY and all of my packages have arrived there just fine w/o damage.  The GSP postage cost the buyer pays to eBay covers shipping and insurance from KY to the final destination.  If something were to happen to the package during international transit to the buyer, you are off the hook and eBay would cover it.

This is straight from eBay's Global Shipping Program FAQs:

How does the Global Shipping Program work?When a GSP item sells, just ship it to the Global Shipping Center using whatever method you choose. An experienced international shipping company does the rest including customs forms, international shipping, and import fees. The GSP also includes end-to-end international tracking. As a seller your responsibility ends once the item reaches the Global Shipping Center. If the item is lost or damaged during international transit, the Program has you covered. Sellers are also protected from neutral or negative feedback associated with international shipping on any GSP transaction.

But if you want the peace of mind to insure the package to KY, then it might be worth it to you.

That is what I was thinking and thanks for the confirmation.

Not so much a request for advice, but more of a giving advice:

I got dinged on my TRS scoreboard a few times the last 2 months, so I thought I'd shared my shipping lessons. Background - I have 1 day handling time set up on my account to comply with Top Rated Seller criteria, and noticed the following:

- Even though EBay allows you to print shipping labels up to 3 working days in advance - don't do this! You have 24hrs to ship between creating a label and USPS/FedEx/UPS acknowledging the receipt of the package at their facility, otherwise you get dinged. I had a request for delayed shipping, complied, but printed my shipping label on Friday for a Monday morning drop-off. CS said they could not remove the ding from my record as it was automated and based on what the shipping provider reported.

- Make sure someone at the Post Office scans your package. I had a minifigure shipment which I put in a normal mailbox, and it didn't get scanned on the day I dropped it off (I typically leave packages on the counter and they get scanned that way, but the PO was not yet open when I arrived and I just popped it in the mailslot). Now I'm seeing an extra ding on my TRS status which is bringing my metrics down.

I hope that with the Christmas rush I can correct these dings and bring my score back up above 90%, but have learned my lessons on these two items.

• Like 4

How do you guys handle non-responsive and non paying buyer?

My highest auction winner of the hot NES Classic, who has over 100 perfect feedbacks as a buyer, has not paid since the auction ended on Sunday. He never responded my emails.  I had to wait till today to submit a non paying claim to eBay which they will take another 4 days to "investigate" and refund my seller fees. Meanwhile, the NES Classic prices have been dropping and I probably can't re-list this and sell at $250 anymore.

I tried to leave a negative feedback on the buyer's account but unable to do so. It seems like he can get away with not paying and won't show up on his record as a non paying bidder.  I think eBay is really protecting the buyer even the shady ones who don't pay and follow the rules like they supposed to.

43 minutes ago, woodyhtc said:

My highest auction winner of the hot NES Classic, who has over 100 perfect feedbacks as a buyer, has not paid since the auction ended on Sunday. He never responded my emails.  I had to wait till today to submit a non paying claim to eBay which they will take another 4 days to "investigate" and refund my seller fees. Meanwhile, the NES Classic prices have been dropping and I probably can't re-list this and sell at $250 anymore.

I tried to leave a negative feedback on the buyer's account but unable to do so. It seems like he can get away with not paying and won't show up on his record as a non paying bidder.  I think eBay is really protecting the buyer even the shady ones who don't pay and follow the rules like they supposed to.

I usually cut people some slack if they have sufficient feedback. Send them a reminder message first and see if they reply. You wouldn't believe how many people go over their CC limit buying things they don't really need. 

That being said, if they don't reply at all you should file a claim. Ebay and Paypal definitely favor buyers when it comes to disputes, but NPB is not the worst scenario. They will side with you and you'll be able to leave negative feedback once the claim is resolved.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, c_rpg said:
4 hours ago, woodyhtc said:

I usually cut people some slack if they have sufficient feedback. Send them a reminder message first and see if they reply. You wouldn't believe how many people go over their CC limit buying things they don't really need. 

That being said, if they don't reply at all you should file a claim. Ebay and Paypal definitely favor buyers when it comes to disputes, but NPB is not the worst scenario. They will side with you and you'll be able to leave negative feedback once the claim is resolved.

Does it show the hourglass if you look in the Sold Listings screen on EBay? You might have a buyer with CC limits or CC fraud check denials, as @c_rpg said (but at least you would have expected them to respond to your emails, unless they use an unmonitored account for their ebay purchases).

Last week I had a customer on EBay. I didn't get a "Paid, ship now" message, instead an hourglass showed, for "payment pending". I clicked on "Go to Paypal transaction" and it showed up with a payment but it had "denied" in the status field. This payment therefore did not show in my Paypal list of transactions. I contacted the buyer and she saw the item and transaction as "Paid" on her end, both in Paypal as well as in EBay. After some digging it turned out the transaction was denied by her CC company (she did a few other EBay purchases that day so this must have been some sort of a fraud alert). The weird thing is that EBay had no way of seeing this, Paypal does not provide this status to EBay. So EBay was telling her all was okay and paid for, and me that the payment hadn't been received.

In the end she did a separate, non-EBay initiated payment to me via Paypal, and I shipped without EBay knowing it was paid. (I tried to get the updated transaction ID added to EBay but CS couldn't do anything with it). Added transaction IDs in the item notes, and added shipment info both to EBay as well as to the new Paypal transaction, as a CYA measure. All worked out well, she already left glowing feedback on my account.

• Like 1