Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

6 minutes ago, KShine said:

Not a fan of the GSP.

Now if you wouldn't be shipping internationally without using the GSP program, then it's great. But if you already ship internationally without it, (unless things have changed recently) you will be better off doing it on your own.

How are you printing labels for international shipping? If PayPal had this option I would ship myself, but the only option I see is to go to USPS office which is not worth the time.

4 minutes ago, sflv said:

How are you printing labels for international shipping? If PayPal had this option I would ship myself, but the only option I see is to go to USPS office which is not worth the time.

eBay (best for eBay TRS), Paypal (another option), PostPony (best AFAIK if you're not eBay TRS or selling outside eBay), USPS.com (if you have no other option, you only get commercial base price). Going to USPS, paying full retail price, and waiting in line should be an extremely rare scenario.

Edited by minicoopers11
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sflv said:

It should certainly be available.

1 minute ago, minicoopers11 said:

eBay (best for eBay TRS), Paypal (another option), PostPony (best AFAIK if you're not eBay TRS or selling outside eBay), USPS.com (if you have no other option, you only get commercial base price). Going to USPS and waiting in line should be an extremely rare scenario.

Correct - I rarely leave my house.

• Like 1

Not a fan of the GSP.

Now if you wouldn't be shipping internationally without using the GSP program, then it's great. But if you already ship internationally without it, (unless things have changed recently) you will be better off doing it on your own.

If you don't mind...

Assuming regular sale through eBay for international buyer, what are the downsides you see/experienced with GSP?

What are upsides not using GSP in your experience?

GSP for me has been a breeze.

I have shipped large and small and no problems so far.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Cozei said:

If you don't mind...

Assuming regular sale through eBay for international buyer, what are the downsides you see/experienced with GSP?

What are upsides not using GSP in your experience?

GSP for me has been a breeze.

I have shipped large and small and no problems so far.

Thanks.

I haven't done a full analysis on it in a while, but from what I recall:

With the GSP, the buyer has higher shipping costs, longer waiting times (it is shipped twice), and from what I hear Pitney Bowes can repackage your item (sometimes into a lighter, less secure package - even though the buyer has already paid for the full weight of the original well packed package). Many International buyers claim that they are not always charged import charges (usually yes, but sometimes no), but with the GSP they are always charged. Plus who wants to pay the fees earlier than they would otherwise need to.

As a seller, you are only charged ebay fees on shipping charges up to the amount that you charge for domestic shipping - so if you offer free domestic shipping, your International shipping charges are not charged any ebay fee.

There could be more (and some things that might have changed), but if can do it on your own, it is likely still the best option.  

• Like 1

With the GSP, the buyer has higher shipping costs, longer waiting times (it is shipped twice), and from what I hear Pitney Bowes can repackage your item (sometimes into a lighter, less secure package - even though the buyer has already paid for the full weight of the original well packed package). Many International buyers claim that they are not always charged import charges (usually yes, but sometimes no), but with the GSP they are always charged. Plus who wants to pay the fees earlier than they would otherwise need to.
As a seller, you are only charged ebay fees on shipping charges up to the amount that you charge for domestic shipping - so if you offer free domestic shipping, your International shipping charges are not charged any ebay fee.
There could be more (and some things that might have changed), but if can do it on your own, it is likely still the best option.  

Thanks.
Maybe I'll have to look at it more closely if lower fees (and some reputation perception on GSP) will attract more intl buyers.

Kind of surprised by a few larger items that have gone GSP. Haven't had any negative comments back from overseas. Had one buyer inquire if I could get more of a large item recently. Sold a Green Arrow to what was probably Korea (guessing by name) yesterday but that's run of the mill.

I sold a used LEGO set on eBay to someone in Canada and its going through the GSP. I just boxed it all up. I set the weight at 3 pounds but unfortunately I underestimated (just forgot how much the box to ship it in would weigh) the weight and its over 3 pounds, closer to 4 (but not 4 pounds). What happens once the box reaches GSP and it weights more than the buyer paid for? Will I get charged for that? Or will the buyer? If its me, I'm fine with it, but I don't want my buyer to get hit with a new charge, nor do I want the transaction to get messed up. I poked around online but couldn't find a reliable answer. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, legorunner said:

I sold a used LEGO set on eBay to someone in Canada and its going through the GSP. I just boxed it all up. I set the weight at 3 pounds but unfortunately I underestimated (just forgot how much the box to ship it in would weigh) the weight and its over 3 pounds, closer to 4 (but not 4 pounds). What happens once the box reaches GSP and it weights more than the buyer paid for? Will I get charged for that? Or will the buyer? If its me, I'm fine with it, but I don't want my buyer to get hit with a new charge, nor do I want the transaction to get messed up. I poked around online but couldn't find a reliable answer. Thanks!

Every time in the past I have been over on weight by a pound or less, GSP delivers no problem and no mention from buyer or GSP. I imagine if you are way off then it would be an issue; however, so far it has never been an issue for small weight differences.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KShine said:

Has international tracking for Seller Protection improved for shipments that are not sent via USPS Express Mail (e.g. International First Class, Priority)?

I know in the past, only International Express Mail would offer full tracking to the buyer (that would qualify for Seller Protection). So, before the GSP, I would only sell internationally if the buyer paid for the expensive Express Mail. This would obviously only appeal to buyers of expensive items.

I know there is international tracking for International First Class to various countries but that's only for light, non-bulky items (.e.g Movies/DVD/books).

Edited by grackleflint

1 hour ago, grackleflint said:

Has international tracking for Seller Protection improved for shipments that are not sent via USPS Express Mail (e.g. International First Class, Priority)?

I know in the past, only International Express Mail would offer full tracking to the buyer (that would qualify for Seller Protection). So, before the GSP, I would only sell internationally if the buyer paid for the expensive Express Mail. This would obviously only appeal to buyers of expensive items.

I know there is international tracking for International First Class to various countries but that's only for light, non-bulky items (.e.g Movies/DVD/books).

Yes, 1st class International now has tracking (e-delcon) to most major international countries, but the weight can be up to 4 pounds. More expensive items should still be shipped with Priority Express.

19 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Doing your own international shipping on eBay compared with GPS is a little like FBM vs FBA... just handing it off to someone who takes full ownership makes my life as a seller easier. 

Using FBA will get you more sales than FBM - but using GSP will get you less.

I certainly understand that people are comfortable using what they use, and like I have said - If you wouldn't be shipping international without the GSP, use the GSP.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KShine said:

Using FBA will get you more sales than FBM - but using GSP will get you less.

I certainly understand that people are comfortable using what they use, and like I have said - If you wouldn't be shipping international without the GSP, use the GSP.

Love selling huge and expensive sets internationally using GSP, I ship to KY and wash my hands :) 

• Like 1

I just sold an item in ebay and dropped off the package to the post office. I recieved an email from the sender indicating they no longer live at the address which was verified by paypal. They had 0 feedback. It appears to be fishy. Anyone ever have this occur? I am just thinking of intercepting the package and refunding buyer. If package intercept is not successful and package is delivered am I covered under paypal seller protection?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, anon33 said:

I just sold an item in ebay and dropped off the package to the post office. I recieved an email from the sender indicating they no longer live at the address which was verified by paypal. They had 0 feedback. It appears to be fishy. Anyone ever have this occur? I am just thinking of intercepting the package and refunding buyer. If package intercept is not successful and package is delivered am I covered under paypal seller protection?

Thanks

You did your part. If you mailed it to the address eBay told you to, then you should be covered by eBay's seller protection.... theoretically.  I haven't had this issue, but I'm sure someone who's gone through it will confirm.

• Like 1

You'll get more international sales if you offer your own international shipping. At first on eBay, I didn't bother with doing my own international (out of laziness, despite plenty of bricklink experience) and just did GSP. Once I offered my own international, my international sales increased. I just enter the maximum rate (among all price groups) for commercial base priority or international first class as the rate to all destinations worldwide.

17 minutes ago, anon33 said:

I figured as you can only ship to confirmed addresses but should I attempt to intercept only to have the package lost or delivered anyway?

I just dropped the package off a few hours ago and an hour later address error message is sent.

You'll be fine. I wouldn't bother trying to recover it.

• Like 2

I use free shipping on everything and do not put in dimensions or weight ahead of time. I have absolutely no idea how GSP figured out how much to charge.
  • Like 2

On another thread, someone said it is not Christmas until I ship the wrong package to someone.  Well...I guess it is Christmas for me...

Sent wrong lot of mini figures via first class package to a buyer.  (A fellow reseller who buys on his resale account.  He has bought from me several times.)

I realized it several hours after I dropped it at PO.  I see that package intercept is $12+.

My thought is this -- send correct package today.  Notify buyer that I accidentally sent wrong lot.  Ask if they can send back to me.  I will refund shipping cost.

Any issues with this plan?  Do I need to file anything with eBay?

Thanks for help.  When I search eBay's help, the responses are 10 years old...

On another thread, someone said it is not Christmas until I ship the wrong package to someone.  Well...I guess it is Christmas for me...
Sent wrong lot of mini figures via first class package to a buyer.  (A fellow reseller who buys on his resale account.  He has bought from me several times.)
I realized it several hours after I dropped it at PO.  I see that package intercept is $12+.
My thought is this -- send correct package today.  Notify buyer that I accidentally sent wrong lot.  Ask if they can send back to me.  I will refund shipping cost.

Any issues with this plan?  Do I need to file anything with eBay?
Thanks for help.  When I search eBay's help, the responses are 10 years old...

That's been my approach. Apologize profusely, and even offer to give them a partial refund of $6 (half your intercept costs) if they're willing to send the wrong item back - if they're a regular buyer and/or decent person (which most are), they'll gladly return the wrong item and decline your generous offer of a partial refund.

Not to pick on you.
Why not pack items at listing so you have correct data?
I always pre-pack one off items. This won't be wasted effort since it needs to get packed anyway.
Multi quantity items I prepack one and then know how to pack the others as they sell.

Even if you're offering free shipping this seems logical to me so I know what my shipping cost will be and what price point I need to hit.

Also some items I offer for free shipping I also add expedited shipping at extra cost so the buyer can decide. To do this you need to enter dimensions and weight so they can see calculated shipping.

What reasons not to prepack?
Maybe a wrench in the works for a higher volume seller but I can't think of any other downside.

On 12/7/2016 at 9:05 AM, minicoopers11 said:

You'll get more international sales if you offer your own international shipping. At first on eBay, I didn't bother with doing my own international (out of laziness, despite plenty of bricklink experience) and just did GSP. Once I offered my own international, my international sales increased. I just enter the maximum rate (among all price groups) for commercial base priority or international first class as the rate to all destinations worldwide.

You'll be fine. I wouldn't bother trying to recover it.

Absolutely .. through GSP, a customs broker pre-collects all the taxes so the cost to buy on the spot is item + shipping + taxes. It can really affect the price a buyer thinks they're paying. For seasoned (and smart) buyers, they understand it already.

I will also pick a non-GSP seller over a GSP seller if the prices are identical for two reasons:

- I get my non-GSP parcel faster.
- There is always a chance that they don't collect the taxes when they deliver. (and no, in this case I don't feel obligated to do their job for them)