STAR WARS IX - "The Rise of Skywalker" - Movie Discussion

exciter1

6 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Rey became the "I win" character with no force training at all.

this is really the worse part for me...both Rey and later Leia remarkable Force accomplishments is a big FU to Yoda & Dagabah and pretty much an underlying arc of the original trilogy...Force learning is supposed to be hard yo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I came into Solo with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.  It wasn't as bad as I expected.  Sadly, I'm not sure my expectations can get low enough to have a positive exp with IX.

Apparently, others agree with me as there are still lots of seats available opening night in theaters around me.

I just read 18 pages and I'm not entirely disappointed.  I about shut it down when I read Chewie died though.

I'm still not sure if I like the whole transporting physical things through their "force calls".

I want to see how the Han vision is executed.

I'm hoping against hope that Luke is actually still alive on Ach-To, that interaction will just be better to me if he's alive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I just read 18 pages and I'm not entirely disappointed.  I about shut it down when I read Chewie died though.

I'm still not sure if I like the whole transporting physical things through their "force calls".

I want to see how the Han vision is executed.

I'm hoping against hope that Luke is actually still alive on Ach-To, that interaction will just be better to me if he's alive.

I agree with all you said.  But I still have issues with Rey now being able to heal and shoot lightening.  *sigh*   And I just have this gut feeling that the space battle is going to be hyped as the largest ever but how are they possibly going to give it time that it needs with everything else going on?  

And didn't the prequels suggest that Sideous' master "created" Anakin?  So Sideous now "creates" Rey or just imbues her with "dark force" power?  *sigh*  idk... it's just too much.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I agree with all you said.  But I still have issues with Rey now being able to heal and shoot lightening.  *sigh*   And I just have this gut feeling that the space battle is going to be hyped as the largest ever but how are they possibly going to give it time that it needs with everything else going on?  

And didn't the prequels suggest that Sideous' master "created" Anakin?  So Sideous now "creates" Rey or just imbues her with "dark force" power?  *sigh*  idk... it's just too much.

Rey shooting lighting to indicate she may be struggling with the Dark Side, I can kind of buy.  They did allude to her going to the Dark in TLJ.  I'm with you on the healing power.

Regarding the space battle, I would have though there would be some serious PSAs about flying too close together after Rouge One where they drive one ship into another and after TLJ and the Holdo maneuver destroys adjacent ships.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Rey shooting lighting to indicate she may be struggling with the Dark Side, I can kind of buy.  They did allude to her going to the Dark in TLJ.  I'm with you on the healing power.

Regarding the space battle, I would have though there would be some serious PSAs about flying too close together after Rouge One where they drive one ship into another and after TLJ and the Holdo maneuver destroys adjacent ships.

When I think of characters shooting lightning, the only ones who come to mind are Snoke, Dooku and Palpatine - very strong, Sith Lords.  Yoda was able to conjure lightning in TLJ and was able to subdue lightning in the prequels.  And now... we have Rey.  Seriously?!  With no training she has now become so filled with hate that she can do things that neither Darth Vader or Darth Maul were able to do?  *Sigh*  It just gets old.  Apparently the only thing Rey is bad at is failing.  Uber light side jedi; uber dark side sith - she can do it all folks...  

One other item that is bothering me is Rey flying away from Ach-to in Luke's X-Wing and no astromech droid.  R2 was the one who would make the calculations for safe light-speed travel.  But apparently she doesn't need an R2 unit and she can make those calculations now too?  Granted Luke apparently flew there without R2, but what makes us think he used light speed to get there?  So unless Luke installed something to take the place of R2, or there is some new Jedi power to plot courses without astromechs, which of course Rey would have already mastered, then I'm not seeing how she can rejoin the rest of the team before the next Star Wars trilogy comes out, let alone the end of this movie.

I'm just feeling pain.  I really hoped JJ was going to put Star Wars back onto a plausible path.  *sigh*  I guess I just loved Star Wars too much the way it was.  I'm not saying everything in the expanded universe was perfect, but after all the books I don't recall anyone going near as crazy as Disney has gone within three movies.

Edited by exracer327
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, exracer327 said:

When I think of characters shooting lightning, the only ones who come to mind are Snoke, Dooku and Palpatine - very strong, Sith Lords.  Yoda was able to conjure lightning in TLJ and was able to subdue lightning in the prequels.  And now... we have Rey.  Seriously?!  With no training she has now become so filled with hate that she can do things that neither Darth Vader or Darth Maul were able to do?  *Sigh*  It just gets old.  Apparently the only thing Rey is bad at is failing.  Uber light side jedi; uber dark side sith - she can do it all folks...  

One other item that is bothering me is Rey flying away from Ach-to in Luke's X-Wing and no astromech droid.  R2 was the one who would make the calculations for safe light-speed travel.  But apparently she doesn't need an R2 unit and she can make those calculations now too?  Granted Luke apparently flew there without R2, but what makes us think he used light speed to get there?  So unless Luke installed something to take the place of R2, or there is some new Jedi power to plot courses without astromechs, which of course Rey would have already mastered, then I'm not seeing how she can rejoin the rest of the team before the next Star Wars trilogy comes out, let alone the end of this movie.

I'm just feeling pain.  I really hoped JJ was going to put Star Wars back onto a plausible path.  *sigh*  I guess I just loved Star Wars too much the way it was.  I'm not saying everything in the expanded universe was perfect, but after all the books I don't recall anyone going near as crazy as Disney has gone within three movies.

Plo Koon was able to conjure lightning.

The T-65 may have a navicomputer on it, much like the Falcon or any other ship. We can assume they have some sort of computer to make the calculations, as the A-Wing and B-Wing were able to jump into hyperspace and they have no astromech droids.

The EU had plenty of terrible plot points. Luuke clone created by Jorrus C'baoth was up towards the top of that.

But overall, I agree.

Where Disney failed most of all was fasttracking Rey's training. She went from living in a broken AT-AT to having supercharged Jedi power. She had no training and no instructor, and tapped into something she had no knowledge of to overpower someone who trained under a the highest ranking Jedi Master, then a powerful dark side user. Luke couldn't best Vader until the end of the third movie, after working with Obi-Wan who introduced him to the force, and the last leader of the Jedi order in Yoda. One can assume that once Obi kicked the bucket, he still visited Luke between the events of ANH and ESB. The length of time Luke was on Dagobah is up for debate. The official word from Lucasfilm in the old RPG game was 18 months, the most recent number provided is around 6 months due to time passing slower on Dagobah. Disney gave us a character who was given powers that every other character we have seen has had to train for the level of power attained.

Disney needs to explain this in ROS. And "she was the granddaughter of a powerful force user" isn't good enough, as Luke was a son of the chosen one and still got shot by the training droid on the way to Alderaan.

• Like 3

I don't know about you guys, but I've seen women go from fine to raging mad pretty quick, maybe that explains why she suddenly shoots lightning.  There is my sexist comment for the day.

I agree with what you're saying about the training and her being good at things.  The only way this kind of gets explained away for me is her being related to a powerful force user.  I don't need more than that, but I do need something, this is fiction after all.  Her being nobody and being very powerful was not satisfactory.  The light rising up to meet the darkness was also not a satisfactory explanation.

Was they whole hyperspace travel thing with an astromech ever confirmed by Lucasfilm or is that just an explanation fans came up with to explain why Luke never left there.  I would have liked TLJ more if we saw Luke raise the X-wing and face Kylo in person.  Even if he still sacrificed himself it would have been better than doing it through force projection. 

Assuming this leak is accurate, I'm at least pleased they are trying to explain some of the nonsensical things that have happened, although it seems like they're adding more nonsense that will need to be explained.

• Haha 1

Maybe they are just ripping off SW Legacy comic books, where the main hero (Luke's grandson) can manipulate his Force lightning to actually HEAL (even revive) the target.  IIRC he needs to have 1 foot in the dark side to tap to this power.  He stays in the middle, not 100% Jedi or Sith. 

The comic book is actually pretty good.  It takes place 100 years after RotJ (well in pre-Disney EU canon).  Highly recommended

ETA: his Wookiepedia page.  Obviously a lot of spoilers so do not read it if you plan to read the comics
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cade_Skywalker

• Like 2