STAR WARS IX - "The Rise of Skywalker" - Movie Discussion

exciter1

3 minutes ago, Mathew said:

You’re overreacting.  This is a thrill ride movie and an apology for The Last Jedi. 

If it as a stand alone movie or just the finale of a trilogy then it would have been average, but once you tie in to the entire saga, it becomes trash IMO. I can write an entire blog on what it wrong with it in regards to being the finale of the Skywalker story, but I am sure that I won't sway anyone either way .It is what it , whether you love it , like it, orhate it, there is no right or wrong "feeling" 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

If it as a stand alone movie or just the finale of a trilogy then it would have been average, but once you tie in to the entire saga, it becomes trash IMO. 

I’m 45 so the conclusion of the Skywalker saga for me is Return of the Jedi.  Rise of Skywalker is almost a stand alone movie if you disregard The Last Jedi. I set my expectations low and was entertained. As far as the Disney trilogy, I felt it was a good ending. B+ movie overall. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 7:47 AM, exracer327 said:

idk, Luke milking that sea cow was bad enough.  I cringed hard during that scene sitting between my 14 yr-old son and 12 yr-old daughter.  That scene had no business being in a movie for kids and whoever thought it was a good idea should not be allowed to make movies with kids in mind ever again.

have you not had the talk with your kids yet about where milk comes from?

• Haha 1

I'm 40-something and think TLJ and TROS are both terrible in very different ways.  Still better than AOTC.

Kennedy and Igor really screwed this up.  I didn’t think it was possible to F up a SW film until the prequels.  Then I thought it wasn’t possible to do worse but Disney succeeded.

I think the key point where the entire sequel trilogy went downhill started with how Solo died and how JJ left Luke on Gilligan's Island w/o Ginger or Mary Ann.  Then a few other self- inflected problems snowballed.  Kennedy gave most control to Johnson after she had issues with JJ. Then Igor got more involved and felt the need to bring JJ back.  JJ wanted to stick it to both Kennedy and Johnson.  Sad thing is Lucas' guide was disregarded twice: 1) after the sale by Kennedy and 2) when JJ asked for help after all TLJ backlash by Igor.

sad...

for a perfect TROS review, look no further than...

https://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-70-minute-rise-of-skywalker-review/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

for a perfect TROS review, look no further than...

https://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-70-minute-rise-of-skywalker-review/

Those guys hate all things Star Wars yet can’t stop talking about it. Their Rise of Skywalker review is actually not very entertaining.  Frankly they’ve gone down hill since McCauley Caulkin started guest hosting. 

Edited by Mathew

Didn’t Palp create Anakin making him Ben’s great grandpa ? And with Rey kissing her Uncle’s grand kid that means that SW tradition of relatives kissing is still strong and well  .. from a certain point of view ... and before people get riled up , this is just meant to be a comedy break . 

6 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Those guys hate all things Star Wars yet can’t stop talking about it. Their Rise of Skywalker review is actually not very entertaining.  

The monotone of their videos made it very hard for me to watch more than a couple before I stopped watching any of their work 

Didn’t Palp create Anakin making him Ben’s great grandpa ? And with Rey kissing her Uncle’s grand kid that means that SW tradition of relatives kissing is still strong and well  .. from a certain point of view ... and before people get riled up , this is just meant to be a comedy break . 
The monotone of their videos made it very hard for me to watch more than a couple before I stopped watching any of their work 

At my theater, when they kissed, someone yelled out “dude! That’s your cousin!”

My friend said it perfectly:

"I felt like I was watching a fan film where some dude scoured Reddit for every "cool" idea they could find and crammed them in a 2.5 hour film."

I actually had my hand on my forehead half the time and my 13 year old son was eyerolling and giving me WTF looks.

It was trash. Nothing but the shocking moment when the dumpster fire ignites the fireworks buried inside.

• 2 months later...
On 2/29/2020 at 5:58 AM, cardensb said:

I really enjoyed it.  It was fast paced, they closed up a lot of story line gaps.  The action scenes were great.  I felt like I could barely process everything I was seeing.

I recently saw it a 2nd time while still in theaters

much more enjoyable...I knew to focus in on the parts I wished I paid more attention to the 1st time (I counted 3 scenes w/ the Ghost).  Wife and son were able to follow the movie much better the 2nd time as well.

Highly recommend seeing it one more time in the big theater 

disney is jamming the digger even deeper in the SW film franchise.

1) TFA was a fine intro.

2) Kennedy and Johnson had some great ideas for TLJ  but for whatever reason, they decided to waste OT characters w/ stupid behavior changes (e.g. Luke). and onscreen deaths. also introduced dumb force powers like 3D VR Face Time calling and flying in space Leia.  Force Ghosts can now interact w/ their real objects.  The plot had dumb holes but did have it's moments like hyperspacing through a ship.

3) TROS was an entertaining film but very messy.  it had to undo plot issues from TLJ.  My force powers were added like Force Healing the dead. GTFO.  Brought back Palps which undid ROTJ's sacrifices /redemption by Vader. Blame "IP BoB Iger and Kennedy for the mess as Lucas was thrown out yet again by them when JJ was getting help.

Now it's gone to crap again.  Turns out Palps in TROS was a frackin clone.  Meh.

So over 3 films, Carrie Fisher (RIP) , Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill were all wasted.  

They just need to somehow remake the last 2 films w/o Fisher and Ford which is a "big ask".

6 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

disney is jamming the digger even deeper in the SW film franchise.

1) TFA was a fine intro.

2) Kennedy and Johnson had some great ideas for TLJ  but for whatever reason, they decided to waste OT characters w/ stupid behavior changes (e.g. Luke). and onscreen deaths. also introduced dumb force powers like 3D VR Face Time calling and flying in space Leia.  Force Ghosts can now interact w/ their real objects.  The plot had dumb holes but did have it's moments like hyperspacing through a ship.

3) TROS was an entertaining film but very messy.  it had to undo plot issues from TLJ.  My force powers were added like Force Healing the dead. GTFO.  Brought back Palps which undid ROTJ's sacrifices /redemption by Vader. Blame "IP BoB Iger and Kennedy for the mess as Lucas was thrown out yet again by them when JJ was getting help.

Now it's gone to crap again.  Turns out Palps in TROS was a frackin clone.  Meh.

So over 3 films, Carrie Fisher (RIP) , Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill were all wasted.  

They just need to somehow remake the last 2 films w/o Fisher and Ford which is a "big ask".

3 new films coming, 2022, 2024, 2026

8 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

3 new dumpster fires coming, 2022, 2024, 2026

Fixed your post.

16 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

I had to search this and you're right, apparently the novelization will make him a clone.  I don't know who's job it is to make these call, but I wish I could be drunk at work all day.

• Like 1

I've always been in the boat of fans wanting more films with the downside of reduced quality...I prefer films every 2 years than two decades...so I'm not a purist.  I no longer expect the whole film to be epic...but I've always been stoked about the handful of memorable epic scenes in each film; which is good enough for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

I just want to say that this movie has incredible video and sound.  

This is the problem with Star Wars & Star Trek in the past 6 years.  The technical parts like special effects and sound are absolutely incredible.  However, the writings are absolutely atrocious and the movie phasing is sometimes all over the place.  

Maybe I am just old school, but the sfx can only take the movies so far when the writing and plotting seem like just an afterthought

• Like 3