STAR WARS IX - "The Rise of Skywalker" - Movie Discussion

exciter1

I don't know where else to post this, but I had an ah-ha moment while reading an article (from July 2018) about Ant Man and the Wasp re: Feige and how the MCU was putting movie story arcs together.

The director for Ant Man and and the Wasp was quoted as saying, "… I know everyone is talking about or writing about, "When is the superhero movie fatigue going to set in?" And it could be any time. That's every director's fear. "Oh, it's going to be my movie." But nobody is more painfully aware of that than Kevin Feige and the people at Marvel, which is why you want to do something different. They encourage idiosyncrasy. They want [the films] to be very specific and very different from each other."  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ant-man-wasp-michelle-pfeiffer-had-be-convinced-join-1124434

Somewhere I remember reading that Kathleen Kennedy was trying to follow Feige's model of getting new directors to do different things and make their movies and story lines "theirs".  I recall Rian Johnson saying those were his instructions as well. 

In the MCU I think that has worked well for each Character's story, but the MCU didn't do that "within" the Character's storylines themselves.  Iron Man has one feel, Thor has another, Guardians of the Galaxy yet another, and Ant Man has yet a different one again.  Bring them together and you have Avengers - another feel altogether (although there have been different directors for the Avenger's movies).  But within the MCU character's movie each has the same "feel" (except The Incredible Hulk (2008 - Edward Norton) - which many of us forget is actually part of the MCU).

Star Wars is a continuous story with the same characters (think Avengers).  They could have their own adventures but I think most of us agree the Solo movie isn't where Disney messed up.  Solo may not have been great, but it wasn't horrible either (thanks Ron Howard).  I wonder how Solo would have done had it been released before SW VII (where they out-of-character killed Solo as a sacrificial lamb).  The problem is SW VII stretched the plausibility of the main story (and insulted our sensibilities with DS 3, trench run, etc.), but we were all willing to see where the story was going.  Then SW VIII derailed the story all together by taking Luke and a lot of other things/people out-of-character.  Now SW IX has the near impossible task of not only entertaining us with a story that many no longer care about, but to also make sense of a story-arc from SW VII and SW VIII without doing a mea culpa.  That is a tall order.

Seats are still available opening night at all theaters around me.

• Like 1

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/porsche-star-wars-rise-skywalker-spaceship-taycan-911/

Seems the mouse company is truly unable to think of ways to be creative with the franchise. Had to go and partner with a car company for ideas? This looks interesting, not a fan of the front though. 

LucasFilm teamed with Nissan when Rogue One came out, to produce limited edition Nissan Rogues (one Imperial, one Rebel). So not the first time.

I just read an article how the hype for SW IX possibly exceeds that of Avengers: End Game.  I almost spit out my drink. 

I went to my local movie theater website and verified plenty of seats available.  Thursday 10 PM showing has about 40 seats available.  The other showings have between a dozen and 24 available.  The Friday morning 9:15 AM showing only has about 25 seats taken of a 150 seat theater.  I think one showing must have sold out around 7 PM as there is a gap between 5 and 9, but each of those still have between 20-40 seats available.  

In a sad, morbid kind of way I can't wait for receipt totals for opening weekend.

7 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

In a sad, morbid kind of way I can't wait for receipt totals for opening weekend.

No way will the hype hit Avengers levels.  I can tell from the street vibe that no one is terribly excited for RoS.  I truly believe that the film will be more entertaining than TLJ but that's not saying much.  I will probably see it a week or two after it opens.

• Like 1

No spoilers below...

Since I haven’t been a fan of Newer SW films since TLJ and Solo, I read the major leaks.  Doesn’t sound good in regards to plot.  Special effects should be awesome.  I assume JJ needed to undo the mess Johnson did so that's part of TROS's problem. e.g. there are some direct Rian Johnson jabs by JJ in the story.
 I still can’t wrap my head again around the entire Emperor Palpatine plot?  Why even go there since it just undoes Vader's final actions in ROTJ.  
The entire Kyle Ren character has been a mess but had so much potential...honestly, he didn’t even need to be a Solo...JJ should have made him a disgruntled Jedi in-training which would have made the character improved in my opinion (and his story arc in TROS).  Oh well... at least this Disney trilogy mess is finally over.  

I have tix for Thurs with my son and hope he enjoys it. Maybe I’ll be even surprised along with some of you.

until then, at least we have The Mandalorian and reruns of the original films , The Clone Wars (plus another season), and Rebels.   Plus lightsabers in Fortnite is a plus...

• Like 1

I have some real spoilery pictures, but I’ll hold onto them.

EPISODE IX THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.
GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.
Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaisonline said:

I assume JJ needed to undo the mess Johnson did so that's part of TROS's problem. e.g. there are some direct Rian Johnson jabs by JJ in the story.

There is no need to do that. TLJ was the best movie ever... according to some people... :D:D

4 hours ago, jaisonline said:

I still can’t wrap my head again around the entire Emperor Palpatine plot?  Why even go there since it just undoes Vader's final actions in ROTJ.  

Disney already killed too many of the good guys from OT.  Now it is the bad guys' turn.  I was surprised they did not revive Boba Fett or JAbba the Hutt so they could be killed (again) in ep9 :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From what I have read, most people like it and say it ends like you would expect.  They say the plot is OK, just too much new stuff introduced to keep on point.  Special effects and music are superb.  Acting is solid.  Better than the previous two.

I like the way one critic wrote that if it was a meal, it fills you up but was not that pleasurable along the way.

Watched it tonight, I liked more than I disliked. Pretty much the opposite feeling than I had for TLJ.  There are still a few parts I don't like, but I guess I'll have to live with it.  The pacing is frenetic, so to do this story right it should have been 2 movies instead of one.  It's just non-stop, jumping from planet to planet, over a short period of time.  I wish it would have taken place over a few weeks, rather than all within a day.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Watched it tonight, I liked more than I disliked. Pretty much the opposite feeling than I had for TLJ.  There are still a few parts I don't like, but I guess I'll have to live with it.  The pacing is frenetic, so to do this story right it should have been 2 movies instead of one.  It's just non-stop, jumping from planet to planet, over a short period of time.  I wish it would have taken place over a few weeks, rather than all within a day.

So RoS takes place within one day just like TLJ?  So let's get this straight, an entire year has passed between TLJ and RoS and everything eventful takes place within just two days.  That just sounds ridiculous.

Furthermore, it used to take days in the Star Wars universe to travel to other planets.  I guess that no longer exists either.

• Like 1