STAR WARS IX - "The Rise of Skywalker" - Movie Discussion

exciter1

25 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hit me in the feels. I actually feel the need to go watch it again in the theater which is something I haven't done with any of the newer movies. 

When Red 5 was force-raised out of the waters, my heart jumped because I have a bunch of 10240's I need to unload. 

Also saw it yesterday and was underwhelmed as I thought this might be the one where they don’t recycle so much, but alas. There were good moments and ideas but I don’t think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. 

i do remember thinking about which parts of my inventory should jump after seeing this though. Similar to how my oversupply of death trooper action figures is getting hits since last week’s episode of the Mandalorian. 

I've seen it twice now. My take? Thank goodness we salvaged a great ending to a very inconsistent and frustrating trilogy. I hated episode 8 and I view 9 as a retcon and remake of 8. The first half felt very fast paced because Abrams was attempting to make a trilogy in 2 films. Fans can now basically ignore what happened in 8 other than Luke getting **** on. I liked the thing about all the past Sith lords living in Palpatine and the Jedi ghosts helping Rey make the final push. I guess she's truly a Skywalker because she has the soul of both Leia and Ben inside her. Leia finally lived up to her potential by defeating Palpatine through Rey. I loved when the fleet of friends arrived, and when Luke FINALLY lifted up the Xwing. It was nice seeing the characters from episode 7 back together again. Well done Abrams!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

I've seen it twice now. My take? Thank goodness we salvaged a great ending to a very inconsistent and frustrating trilogy. I hated episode 8 and I view 9 as a retcon and remake of 8. The first half felt very fast paced because Abrams was attempting to make a trilogy in 2 films. Fans can now basically ignore what happened in 8 other than Luke getting **** on. I liked the thing about all the past Sith lords living in Palpatine and the Jedi ghosts helping Rey make the final push. I guess she's truly a Skywalker because she has the soul of both Leia and Ben inside her. Leia finally lived up to her potential by defeating Palpatine through Rey. I loved when the fleet of friends arrived, and when Luke FINALLY lifted up the Xwing. It was nice seeing the characters from episode 7 back together again. Well done Abrams!

I'm on board with this. I'll have trouble watching TLJ again, but I'm really enjoying a rewatch of TFA right now. I'll also still hold the OT as it's own thing.

• Like 2

I'm on board with this. I'll have trouble watching TLJ again, but I'm really enjoying a rewatch of TFA right now. I'll also still hold the OT as it's own thing.

I just had this discussion with a coworker this morning. TLJ will just disappear and people will just go from 7 to 9. I know I will.
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Same here! We watched ROS yesterday at noon and put on TFA when we were wrapping presents at night. It's better after having seen ROS.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, oneknightr said:

And they're already on Disney Plus...unless Disney decides to pull the rug out from under us and place them "into the vault". 

As Jeff Mack already said, most of us already own multiple copies of these movies.  The only thing I regret is allowing my wife to give away my VHS copies of the original theatrical releases.

I suspect Lucas made a deal with Disney that only his modified OT releases will be sold.  Maybe after he dies we'll finally be able to buy the original in digital format.  Of course, at the current rate Disney is running SW into the ground by then none of us will care.

13 hours ago, exciter1 said:

The deleted Ewok and Palpatine sex scene won’t be on Disney+

idk, Luke milking that sea cow was bad enough.  I cringed hard during that scene sitting between my 14 yr-old son and 12 yr-old daughter.  That scene had no business being in a movie for kids and whoever thought it was a good idea should not be allowed to make movies with kids in mind ever again.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:55 PM, tawsauce said:

Just saw it tonight. I really enjoyed it actually. It brings the trilogy together. Loved Rey and Kylo. Couple emotional scenes as well. Palpatine creeped the hell out of me though emoji16.png

I enjoyed the movie and hope to see it again in theaters; but the concept of needing to see all 3 to understand the key plot lines is a "cheap gimmick" that Star Wars never needed (before)...their movies were relatively great and complete as stand alones. 

On 12/20/2019 at 7:59 AM, fuzzy_bricks said:

This is what I'm dreading.  I never felt there was, or needed to be, a romantic connection between these two.

True...but you gotta throw Kylo a bone here...it would have sucked (for him) to give up his life force and not get any...you know?

Some Quick Notes:

There is no Star Wars without John Williams.  Period. His ability to generate emotional and thrilling compositions in many different scenes is unparalleled. He hits the old, familiar themes from the previous eight films yet blends them at different points to make you tear up.  The soundtrack alone is a trip and journey through forty years of Star Wars music. I was happy he finally got a cameo in a Star Wars film.

Sheev had sex.  Sex = babies. That makes sense if you consider how powerful Rey is and also the jabbing motion with her lightsaber she is fond of making.  Now, let’s also process the fact that Palpatine KILLED his own SON. But we can’t since we have to jump around.

Daisy Ridley as Rey was perhaps one of the two best decisions that JJ Abrams made.  No matter what role she is in, she always gives it her all and is very effective at conveying the complexities of human emotion while kicking ass in a very physical and visceral way.  She took what she was given and threw herself into it.

The other best decision JJ made was choosing Adam Driver.  I wanted to see more Adam Driver as Ben Solo. That cockiness at the end with the lightsaber made me realize for a moment that I can see how he is Han and Leia’s kid.  Him smiling at the end was a gut punch. I want more smiling Ben Solo kicking ass! COME ON! He’s a good actor!

An orphan learns her past lineage and tries to run from it and become a better person.  She tries and fails many times, resulting in some mishaps and a tragic event that shapes her, only to rise again and reject what is wrong and seeks to do right. I would say there’s some pathos and a Shakespearean tragedy to unravel.  GREAT IDEA. MEDIOCRE EXECUTION.

So, the Force can let you send sabers over the Force Cloud now.  Okay, I guess I can see that and….WAIT FORCE HEALING...WHAT? So many questions!

Chewie got his medal. I clapped. He deserved it. 

Wedge Antilles? Very unexpected and a nod to the fans.

Rey made her own gold lightsaber, from her own staff as well.  Now that is cool BUT... how and when did she find time to do that?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TANV said:

Rey made her own gold lightsaber, from her own staff as well.  Now that is cool BUT... how and when did she find time to do that?

We don’t know how much time passed. But honestly I felt so uplifted by the last 45 minutes of the film that I forgave all its sins.  I walked out of The Last Jedi bummed out. JJ gave us fan service but it was needed. 

9 hours ago, Mathew said:

We don’t know how much time passed. But honestly I felt so uplifted by the last 45 minutes of the film that I forgave all its sins.  I walked out of The Last Jedi bummed out. JJ gave us fan service but it was needed. 

I would have been ok with Kylo getting his comeuppance. He was an aweful person, just like Vader and deserved to die. He could have saved Rey, but she shouldn’t love him back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I would have been ok with Kylo getting his comeuppance. He was an aweful person, just like Vader and deserved to die. He could have saved Rey, but she shouldn’t love him back.

Rey loving Kylo/Ben makes sense.  She has mommy & daddy issues - didn't know any love after she was 5 years old.  She was an orphan.  Kylo/Ben was the first person to make a connection to her, and it was a deep one, with the Force connection.  That's got to be deeper than any other connection ever.

Add to that, she felt like she was successfully trying to change him and turn him good.  Rey falling for him makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mathew said:

BS. That kiss is exactly what was needed. Ben is Han Solo’s son and Han kissed and loved women. Kylo’s turn to to the good side is the best part of the movie. 

20 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Rey loving Kylo/Ben makes sense.  She has mommy & daddy issues - didn't know any love after she was 5 years old.  She was an orphan.  Kylo/Ben was the first person to make a connection to her, and it was a deep one, with the Force connection.  That's got to be deeper than any other connection ever.

Add to that, she felt like she was successfully trying to change him and turn him good.  Rey falling for him makes perfect sense.

You Reylo lovers....I don't even know what to say.  She just watched Kylo kill his father and now she's got the hots for him, "I'm so into bad boys".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I like you too much to block you ...lol 

27 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

You Reylo lovers....I don't even know what to say.  She just watched Kylo kill his father and now she's got the hots for him, "I'm so into bad boys".

I could care less about him killing his Dad, I'm more worried about the thousands of innocents he killed in his path. It's a very quick reminder when watch the first 5min of The Force Awakens.