Star Wars 2018

Alpinemaps

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Yes, before Disney came and dumped over everything. Happy days.

That's one of the reasons why I don't invest in Star Warts. The 3 worst movies were Disney, funny that.

That's one of the reasons why I don't invest in Star Warts. The 3 worst movies were Disney, funny that.

I guess I never noticed before but it’s a relief to know there are other Brickpickers who think Disney’s Star Wars is trash. Star Wars has been all downhill for me since Disney took over and its my favorite series. I wish they would have ruined some other classic series no one cares about.
  • Like 2

Just seen the pics - the TIE looks remakably like a small version of the UCS one. Still looks good though. Not a fan of any of the others - the falcon looks bizarre to me without its pincers and colouring. Why mess with such an iconic, classic vehicle ? except of course to make an excuse to make a load of new falcon toys to sell.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

You´ll see a Jang video or someone else who puts them side-by-side and there is a big difference.

We are getting an OT X Wing playset in the summer too so those will pair well together.

I predict that it will be blue so it can also gove with R1

Falcon is looking awkward, however there is quite a lot of minifigs and in case Han Solo movie is good (i doubt), it will be good set to have. Otherwise it is trash and I reliefed quite a lot with 75105s at home.

I really like the new TIE and I will buy it definitely, maybe in more copies with right discount, even for my personal build. They really look like OT ones. Plus note, that there is Han Solo minifig in that set.

The rest is trash, maybe new brickheadz will be good, I have not seen pics of them yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’d say most Star Wars sets are 20% over what most would pay for them.  I noticed the new Luke achto set started out at 25.00 at Walmart, while it has a retail price of 30... personally I don’t want to even pay that as I know it will hit under 20.  Same goes for the skimspeeder and bomber sets...  I’ll buy the bomber when it hits half off at Walmart this upcoming spring or summer clearance.  The beatnik atat  will also fall well below 80 before all is said and done..

• Like 1

I’d say most Star Wars sets are 20% over what most would pay for them.  I noticed the new Luke achto set started out at 25.00 at Walmart, while it has a retail price of 30... personally I don’t want to even pay that as I know it will hit under 20.  Same goes for the skimspeeder and bomber sets...  I’ll buy the bomber when it hits half off at Walmart this upcoming spring or summer clearance.  The beatnik atat  will also fall well below 80 before all is said and done..

Ahch-Tu is the only winter wave set of want. And I agree with you - I’ll grab it when it gets down to $20 or below.

Winter sets - Ahch-To (for personal collection), but I strongly believe in  AT-MT Gorilla Walker, Kylos TIE and Finalizer Star Destroyer to be good sets to have for resale if bought with 40% off.

Han Solo line - new Falcon if the movie is good, and TIE for sure in any case.

Summer wave - new X-Wing and maybe Sandcrawler.

I believe, that the good choices for buy are only the iconic concepts from Star Wars universe and only when bought on nice discount like 30-40%. You will always sell X-Wings, TIEs, Destroyers, Walkers and Falcons, if you have decent price of it. The rest is ****, especially when the quality of movies goes down significantly. This is the way how to ear money nowdays (at least in my country). Buy few discounted iconic sets, wait 1-2 years and sell it with some not overwhelming profit around 50-70%.

However, I would really appreciate remake of proper Kylo Rens Shuttle, preferably in minifig scale as UCS. I really liked that ship.

Edited by Hennessy

8 minutes ago, Hennessy said:

I believe, that the good choices for buy are only the iconic concepts from Star Wars universe and only when bought on nice discount like 30-40%. You will always sell X-Wings, TIEs, Destroyers, Walkers and Falcons, if you have decent price of it. The rest is ****, especially when the quality of movies goes down significantly. This is the way how to ear money nowdays (at least in my country). Buy few discounted iconic sets, wait 1-2 years and sell it with some not overwhelming profit around 50-70%.

Similar in The Netherlands, with the exception that many sets, even bought at 50% discount, are not moving with a mere 50% profit increase, even many months after retirement.

For example 75140 Resistance Transporter. RRP of €80. Bought at €40 (50% off). Still impossible to even sell for €75 (that would be 50% profit, and still below original RRP).

Edited by Haay

17 minutes ago, Haay said:

Similar in The Netherlands, with the exception that many sets, even bought at 50% discount, are not moving with a mere 50% profit increase, even many months after retirement.

For example 75140 Resistance Transporter. RRP of €80. Bought at €40 (50% off). Still impossible to even sell for €75 (that would be 50% profit, and still below original RRP).

That set isn't a great choice because it was hugely overproduced and spent weeks at 50% off on LEGO Shop at Home. 

Some other sets which most thought of as turds to avoid are doing well. 75103 was easily available for £40 just before retirement, and now, one year later, is selling for £100.

Yes but this is what I am talking about. Resistance Transporter is not iconic ship even remotely. I know, it has wonderful selection of minifigs and it is somehow nicely built model, but most of the sets are sold to kids. You need sets that kids are attracted to, not AFOLs. And era, when you could buy sets just for minifigures is also gone. I am just surprised, that they did not started CMF Star Wars / DC+Marvel series.

Any large star destroyer will do wonder, if you buy it for 100EUR, including new Finalizer. The same goes for TIEs and some Lambda class shuttles. AT-AT walker and things looking similar to it like AT-MT6 are also doing their job. These are sts you will always sell to someone at least for RRP, maybe for little bit more. I would not touch anything else from "empire vehicle" forces with more than 1 copy, despite the fact, that I love some models, like the classic tank transporter from Rogue One.

For "rebels" it is same. Falcons, X-Wing and Y-Wing will do good. The rest, I am not so sure about and definitely not vehcles appearing only in one movie (like the new bomber from last jedi).

There are some areas, which adults love, like bounty hunters or some specific characters (like Thrawn). But this will never do much unless super rare or UCS and even than, the market is currently overhoarded. You really need stuff appealing to masses = kids and parents buying them gifts.

It will be interesting to see where the Rogue One AT-ST goes in the first year.  If it rises up to 2x from MRSP, then I think that movies lineup has some legs (which I honestly thought was a real probability).  The Rogue One Imperial Hovertank (that has chirrut) is already at 43 on amazon...and it's been out a month, while many of the First Order and Resistence sets that retired are either still in stock, at or below MSRP.  Rogue One sets look like they were still the gem in the rough...although nothing like 2014's OT lineup.

On 08/01/2018 at 9:50 PM, ruben.me said:

I just saw that 2 new SW sets officially release a week ago (75199 + 75200) are already marked down 20% on amazon. Is it common for SW sets to get marked down so quickly after they've been released? 

75200 was £20.99 at my local Sainsbury's, I decided against buying any due to it being so new but looking at ebay sold prices, I could have parted out the set and made some money.

5 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I'm pretty sure a big stamp saying confidential on each picture means that they're water marked.

yeah, right {no sarcasm).. like the Falcon with a seal put right into the middle where its quite apparent on a very first sight.. truly ingenious of LEGO to make these protection marks going from big ones to the stealth ones.. 

AT THIS TIME??!!! its been over a midnight in Europe and .. are they monitoring you like LIVE.. ? its been maybe 5 mins since posting?

I think he was suggesting in general regards historical posts, not yours just now. And therefore can't risk TLG giving brickpicker another slap on the wrists! ;o)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Thanks 1

Found this comment on Rebelscum a bit interesting: "German LEGO fan site zusammengebaut.com reports that LEGO noted that the popularity of their Star Wars theme had peaked (when?) and that sales were declining. In their live blog of the LEGO press conference, the field reporter from zusammengebaut.com noted that the mood from LEGO was glum."

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/LEGO_Nuremburg_Toy_Fair_Reveals_178467.asp

--------------------

Personally, I think this is an accurate assessment.  I think the Star Wars theme is tumbling towards rock bottom (and hasn't reached it yet), but it's heading there and quickly.  I don't blame this strictly on Lego, but a lot of the blame should be placed on Disney's shoulders.  It's just not Lego that is tumbling, but the Star Wars theme in general.  I recently noticed the Toys R Us in my vicinity completely scaled back the Star Wars aisle, and marvel merchandise was combined with it.  Basically the space was halved.  I also noticed two targets in my area do the same thing. 

I personally didn't like the Last Jedi movie, and I don't think my son thinks too much about that film either since he doesn't seem to want anything from it, and still hasn't built the two sets from the theme he got from Christmas.  Overall, looking at this year, I only have interest in picking up the Ach-to, Yoda's Hut, and all 4 battle packs (already picked up the Jawa version)..  The Solo film sets i'm going to have a wait and see attitude with (I did pretty much the same for the Last Jedi), but I could see definitely picking up the speeder, but i have no interest in the new falcon other than maybe bricklinking minifigs a few years from now when prices bottom out on them.   Overall, I don't see myself spending much money on Star Wars this year.  It will probably be around 130 bucks at most. Not anything like previous years.  I also feel the same way about the Marvel infinity sets (have zero interest other than bricklinking some figs).  The Jurrassic World sets is probably going to get the most dollars from me this year. 

Anyway, can Star Wars recover?  I don't know...  i'm a bit of an old timer now with this theme, as we have a pretty solid collection but with rehashes, and sets based on movies that didn't inspire - well it will be hard pressed to want to go and buy every single set.  At this point, I no longer just collect them all.  If I had a 3 or 4 year old again, and wasn't around for the 2010-2015 era I could see myself anxiously awaiting the Sandcrawler, and X-wing, but at this point, it's hit the rehash and revision cycle and I dont know if it's enough to make me want to go out and buy those.  The future of this theme gets bleaker with each wave reveal, i'm afraid to say.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 5

There were some sales figures being thrown around on the powerpoint and we´ll get more in March when they do their 2017 annual report. Seems Technic was doing well but City and SW were down. The fact they haven´t even mentioned SH girls at the toy fair is telling too.